Notices

A lonely place

Old 09-09-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I have been sober for 25 years and 8 months. How many years was I trying to quit is harder to calculate. There were about 10 years where I tried to not drink so much, but I had no plan to actually quit. I was just trying to get my drinking under control. Whether that counts as "trying to quit" I'm not sure, but I believe it is almost universal for alcoholics to attempt to get control before they swear off for good. So it is probably part of the eventual quitting process, waste of time that it was.

I started actually getting serious after those attempts to control when I entered a swiftly declining downward spiral, where I finally realized I had zero control. In this crisis stage, it became clear that my problem was serious, and that's when I started seeing counselors, and I started attempting to go without alcohol, although I had no formal plan on how to do that. It was just a continual battle of cravings, usually caving for three days followed by weeks of more drinking.

So how long I was trying to quit depends on whether you count attempts at control, or just the frightening nightmare of the downward spiral, which would be about one year. Although, I had no realistic or workable plan at that time. I was trying to quit, but what was actually happening was that I was aimlessly floundering.

But I remember the day I quit with vivid clarity, where two important things happened and I turned the corner. And this was the 5th day without a drink during the worst cravings I had ever experienced. I decided to go to AA. I don't consider going to AA as the key or one of the important events that turned the corner for me, but I had two swift perception changes at that meeting that were surprisingly sudden and changed my life dramatically.

1. Some old timer pointed out that one of the goals in AA was lifetime sobriety, and I intuitively understood the importance of that at a level I had never before grasped. I decided to honestly accept that as a "truth," and I would honestly embrace that goal.

2. The other thing that happened was that I recognized AA as a safe environment. While I could never accept the program, I was drawn to the fellowship, and decided to spend a couple hours a day getting ready for a meeting, attending, and having coffee with the others afterwards. While others were out getting drunk, I would go to AA meetings, because I sure as Hell wasn't going to be getting drunk at meetings, and a couple of hours of nightly fellowship got me through each day.

So in a span of hours I went from my most nightmarish cravings to adopting a new life. Cravings quickly became manageable, and I started to become more and more confident. I was no longer trying to quit. I had quit, and it was for good. I knew what I had to do, and I happily welcomed the tasks that lay before me. Never did I grudge a moment of my recovery, even during the not so great moments.
thank you DriGuy. What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing this with me. I will try to sort a stronger recovery in terms of the work I'm putting in. What I know now is that I never want to go through home detox alone at my flat again. I cannot allow this to happen again. I have been trying to either control or quit for good for 19 years now. I reached 440 days sober and was overcome by a compulsion to drink, I think because I had had a mental relapse (bad, child-like attitude) and I wasn't putting much effort into my recovery. My next step is to find a sponsor I think.....I will get 30 days and go to a meeting. I must try to use my voice at meetings. I must. Day 2 nearly complete here, although it's probably a day 4,082 or something because I've been in the cycle now so many years I just see the whole addiction journey as a process now. I just hope that this time I can achieve abstinence for the rest of my days. I very much doubt I will unless I throw myself into the program. Which means I'm now at a point where I have no choice but to actually throw myself into the program!!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
I will try to sort a stronger recovery in terms of the work I'm putting in.
That is how it was for me. My recovery required a lot of effort. I didn't think of it as work, because it wasn't of a laborious nature. It was more like total involvement with the process. Sobriety was at the forefront of my actions and thoughts. It trumped any other action or thought. Eventually, this eases off as these actions become second nature. When are you able to easy off? That is the million dollar question. It is obviously not at some specified point on a time line. I guess you just know when you can, but you can only ease off. You cannot stop and just put the whole process on the back burner. That sounds like a disaster in the making.

What I know now is that I never want to go through home detox alone at my flat again. I cannot allow this to happen again.
That was a huge motivator for me early on. Having to go back to getting through those early days of cravings again... Well, I was never sure if I could muster the courage to face it again. Once was enough.

I have been trying to either control or quit for good for 19 years now. I reached 440 days sober and was overcome by a compulsion to drink, I think because I had had a mental relapse (bad, child-like attitude) and I wasn't putting much effort into my recovery.
First throw away any fantasy of controlling your drinking. I leads nowhere. At 440 days sober, a relapse is a disappointment, and at that stage, I think it is most certainly a mental relapse, because you should be way beyond those dangers we face in the beginning. Of course, most of those early stage relapses have a mental component also. But late stage relapses point out the importance of keeping sobriety as a top priority in your life. We never slip away from that. Today, I have other priorities that are just as important, but they are all focused on enjoying the time I have left, and doing things that only make my life better, and alcohol plays no part of any of those other priorities.

My next step is to find a sponsor I think.....I will get 30 days and go to a meeting. I must try to use my voice at meetings. I must. Day 2 nearly complete here, although it's probably a day 4,082 or something because I've been in the cycle now so many years I just see the whole addiction journey as a process now. I just hope that this time I can achieve abstinence for the rest of my days. I very much doubt I will unless I throw myself into the program. Which means I'm now at a point where I have no choice but to actually throw myself into the program!!
I know I definitely threw myself into my recovery. I don't know if I felt that much commitment to any other passion in my life, and I have had many passions that pretty much consumed me over the years. Whatever you do, whatever program you decide to follow, make sense of why you are doing it. That helps you internalize the parts that will actually keep you sober.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well thanks for this thread. Throwing away any concept of moderation has been tough. But it has to be done. I’m like all you guys are or were. Just sick of it. And there is no chance of moderation at this point.

Don’t have any cravings which I guess is weird reading everyone else does.

I do have a very strong AV though.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Khorhey, and for all your input DriGuy. I'm pleased to have made another start anyway......