Notices

Don't even know what I'm doing...

Old 09-07-2021, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Don't even know what I'm doing...

I've drank a few times in the past couple months. Saturday and all day yesterday most recently. Same thing last weekend. I have never drank 2 weekends in a row.
both times black out, obviously. I never drunk without blacking out.
My kidneys hurt, my liver hurts, I feel like I need to puke, I haven't slept and in have to get ready for work in a couple hours. It's 4am here . The body pain is very alarming.... my kidneys will probably fail ... they still hadn't recovered from my binge last weekend.
but, I had booze leftover, and instead of tossing it, I drank it. Then I bought more. I think I had 8 beers, and 19 coolers in under 48hrs.
anyways, had to get that off my chest.
Wondering if naltrexone will work for me.
I've told my Dr about my binge drinking and all she said was that it's bad for you.
now I'm laying here, can't get comfy due to back and kidney pain, with no idea what I've done.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I've told my Dr about my binge drinking and all she said was that it's bad for you.
now I'm laying here, can't get comfy due to back and kidney pain, with no idea what I've done.
You may need to get yourself to a detoxification clinic, although you will need more at this stage of alcoholism. Detoxification is just a baby step before you begin the actual work of recovery. But it seems to me that is the first order of business. It's not a cure. It's just the first step. But you can't begin to recover if you are already dead.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

[QUOTE=DriGuy;7694885]You may need to get yourself to a detoxification clinic, although you will need more at this stage of alcoholism. Detoxification is just a baby step before you begin the actual work of recovery. But it seems to me that is the first order of business. It's not a cure. It's just the first step. But you can't begin to recover if you are already dead.[/QUOTE

Thank you. I don't know if I need to detox since I usually only drink once a month, but I do need something....
Old 09-07-2021, 03:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I’ve done that. So many times I couldn’t even count, woke up after a long weekend of binging and thought, “oh no, what have I done… again?!”

I’m sorry. It’s horrible.

DriGuy is wise to suggest you go to a detox unit. I learned that there are some freestanding ones - or you can get in via the ER of a hospital that has a detox unit. Given a choice, my preference would be the first option - if they can take you today.

Yes, you would need to call out sick, but this is a medical issue and your employer is not entitled to know anything specific about why you need to be out.

We can talk about naltrexone later…
Old 09-07-2021, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Detox has everything to do with acute alcohol withdrawal, which you will be in shortly. It’s to get you medically and safely through the short term safely.

Rehab is the longer stay - to address alcoholism.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the time I entered rehab 31 yrs ago, I may not have
agreed at the time it was what I really wanted. However,
because it was a court order that I stay, I continued on
day after day, for 28 days, getting the toxins and poisons
out of my system and learn how to be willing, openminded
to the lessons they were teaching me about alcoholism,
addiction and it's affects on my heart, mind, body and
soul.

It wasnt easy, because I wanted to do things my way,
and come to find out, my way to try to stop drinking on
my own never worked.

I agreed that I needed help and was willing to do the
footwork to first complete that rehab stay with a 6 week
outpatiant aftercare program before I could begin this
new way of life sober a day at a time moving forward.

All that they taught me and the gift of a guideline to live
by set me on a path to make healthy changes in my life
and the desire to remain sober no matter what life would
throw at me.

It's been 31 yrs living a sober life on a continuous bases
and havent found it necessary to pick up a drink of alcohol
to solve any of life's problems that would ultimately refund
my misery back to me.

There are many options and routes folks take in todays
time to help them remain sober and finding what works
for them to help achieve continuous sobriety, health and
happiness.

The program of AA was taught to me 31 yrs ago and it
continuous to work for me because I work it each day
never forgetting what got me here in the first place.

No one ever has to go thru anything in life alone and
that includes learning how to get and stay sober and
free from their addiction.

Continue to ask for help so that you too can be free
from your addiction.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
You may need to get yourself to a detoxification clinic, although you will need more at this stage of alcoholism. Detoxification is just a baby step before you begin the actual work of recovery. But it seems to me that is the first order of business. It's not a cure. It's just the first step. But you can't begin to recover if you are already dead.
I guess I'm just not sure what a detox would actually do for me.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Detox will medically care for and monitor you through withdrawal. They will do lab tests. They will provide kind support and a sheltered environment while the alcohol leaves your system.

As you are in a medical facility, it also gives you legally protected sick leave.

I think DriGuy was saying that alcohol withdrawal can literally kill you, so detox is the safest way to make a new start. It won’t ‘do’ anything to make you not want to drink again - that is the longer journey.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've drank a few times in the past couple months. Saturday and all day yesterday most recently. Same thing last weekend. I have never drank 2 weekends in a row.
My kidneys hurt, my liver hurts, I feel like I need to puke, I haven't slept and in have to get ready for work in a couple hours. It's 4am here . The body pain is very alarming.... my kidneys will probably fail ... they still hadn't recovered from my binge last weekend.
but, I had booze leftover, and instead of tossing it, I drank it. Then I bought more. I think I had 8 beers, and 19 coolers in under 48hrs.
hello anxiousrock, I don't know what your situation is in terms of work other than that you need to show up fairly often.....work is important, for sure. I read your post and my first thought was: don't go to work, get in touch with your healthcare provider and make your situation 'official' (if you haven't already)....and try your best to get treatment.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nmd

While my doctor has been very supportive of my getting sober and it's obvious health benefits, if I waited for other people to tell me I needed to quit drinking, I would still be drinking - chasing moderation but never finding it. Nobody wants to argue with a drunk to be honest, and it's a rare doctor that understands addiction. I had to decide for myself I needed to get sober and I needed to seek help

I had similar episodes of weekend blackouts. I might "hold it together" during the week only to drink until I pass out on a friday or saturday night. It was a never ending cycle until I was able to quit. It was awful and stopping drinking was the best thing I've ever done.

I guess I'm just not sure what a detox would actually do for me.
To get better, to get sober, you need to detox first, no way around it. There's no way to get sober and keep drinking, whether you detox alone or supervised. A detox center would help you do it safely and maybe put you in the right direction to get help staying sober and taking the next steps.

I don't know anything about Naltrexone, but it would certainly be part of a doctor supervised sobriety plan.

I'm really sorry you are struggling and I send my support. Reaching out here is a good first step. I would also encourage you to get whatever help you can now. Keep us up to date on how it is going
Old 09-07-2021, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

excuse....I just read the last part of your message again. I don't know where abouts you are in the world but it's truly alarming sometimes what doctors say..... truth is, this is alcoholism and it's very likely only to get worse. I think you need to get signed off work if this is an option for you. Stay connected on here please, not only concerned for my own situation but quite worried for you too. X
Old 09-07-2021, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
hello anxiousrock, I don't know what your situation is in terms of work other than that you need to show up fairly often.....work is important, for sure. I read your post and my first thought was: don't go to work, get in touch with your healthcare provider and make your situation 'official' (if you haven't already)....and try your best to get treatment.
thank you. I got up and had a shower so that helped me a lot....need to be back up for work soon though...45 minutes . Work is tough on 0 sleep and I have no one to blame but myself.
I'm at the point in my hangover where I'm hot and cold , I'm shaky, tired, and so upset with myself.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
At the time I entered rehab 31 yrs ago, I may not have
agreed at the time it was what I really wanted. However,
because it was a court order that I stay, I continued on
day after day, for 28 days, getting the toxins and poisons
out of my system and learn how to be willing, openminded
to the lessons they were teaching me about alcoholism,
addiction and it's affects on my heart, mind, body and
soul.

It wasnt easy, because I wanted to do things my way,
and come to find out, my way to try to stop drinking on
my own never worked.

I agreed that I needed help and was willing to do the
footwork to first complete that rehab stay with a 6 week
outpatiant aftercare program before I could begin this
new way of life sober a day at a time moving forward.

All that they taught me and the gift of a guideline to live
by set me on a path to make healthy changes in my life
and the desire to remain sober no matter what life would
throw at me.

It's been 31 yrs living a sober life on a continuous bases
and havent found it necessary to pick up a drink of alcohol
to solve any of life's problems that would ultimately refund
my misery back to me.

There are many options and routes folks take in todays
time to help them remain sober and finding what works
for them to help achieve continuous sobriety, health and
happiness.

The program of AA was taught to me 31 yrs ago and it
continuous to work for me because I work it each day
never forgetting what got me here in the first place.

No one ever has to go thru anything in life alone and
that includes learning how to get and stay sober and
free from their addiction.

Continue to ask for help so that you too can be free
from your addiction.
thank you - U4S
Old 09-07-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you. I got up and had a shower so that helped me a lot....need to be back up for work soon though...45 minutes . Work is tough on 0 sleep and I have no one to blame but myself.
I'm at the point in my hangover where I'm hot and cold , I'm shaky, tired, and so upset with myself.
I know that stage well.... PM me if you need to.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by UNITE4STRENGTH View Post
I know that stage well.... PM me if you need to.
I should be okay. I'm at work, but I'd love to have a nap at my desk. I'm starving, so thinking of getting a sandwich even though it's only 930am.
I have horrible anxiety, especially health related. Wish I still had some clonazepam left for today.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Whether or not you actually experience typical alcohol withdrawal symptoms, you've indicated you feel pains in the area of your kidneys and liver. That, in and of itself, warrants the need for detox and medical care. I once went to a hospital for detox only, and they ended up admitting me because my liver numbers were off the charts. I would take it very seriously. Your body can only tolerate but so much abuse.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by KAD65 View Post
Whether or not you actually experience typical alcohol withdrawal symptoms, you've indicated you feel pains in the area of your kidneys and liver. That, in and of itself, warrants the need for detox and medical care. I once went to a hospital for detox only, and they ended up admitting me because my liver numbers were off the charts. I would take it very seriously. Your body can only tolerate but so much abuse.
last night, while still drinking, I could feel pain on my insides. Hard to describe (and also I was blackout drunk so can't really remember). I don't know if it was from sitting and laying all day with no movement other than getting more drinks, or if it was actual pain from drinking alcohol
Old 09-07-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I should be okay. I'm at work, but I'd love to have a nap at my desk. I'm starving, so thinking of getting a sandwich even though it's only 930am.
I have horrible anxiety, especially health related. Wish I still had some clonazepam left for today.
Just a thought: I have horrible anxiety too, GAD. Alcohol makes it 1000x worse. Alcohol becomes its own horrible torture as it "acts" like an anxiety cure, but it just makes you drink more and more to try to relieve it--which you can't that way. Once I removed the alcohol completely, my anxiety greatly improved. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Just a thought: I have horrible anxiety too, GAD. Alcohol makes it 1000x worse. Alcohol becomes its own horrible torture as it "acts" like an anxiety cure, but it just makes you drink more and more to try to relieve it--which you can't that way. Once I removed the alcohol completely, my anxiety greatly improved. I hope you feel better soon!
for me anxiety came before alcohol, it's always been around. Alcohol makes it worse, but I'm an alcoholic. Quitting alcohol will not make my anxiety better.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol will not make my anxiety better.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that?