Notices

Keep on keeping on

Old 09-06-2021, 01:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

WOW! 100 days is a HUGE accomplishment! Instead of looking back on withdrawal (painful) as a way to maintain sobriety, why not fully experience this accomplishment by doing something nice for yourself that makes you feel GOOD, and represents the positive changes in your life of sobriety?

Sending you positive thoughts from over here at Day 8.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
I wish I had some way of re-experiencing withdrawal for a few minutes every time the urge to drink came...
Wow, how many times did I say that during my 30-year drinking career?! I read somewhere that the human brain can't recall the essence of pain. We can remember that something was painful and unpleasant, but not exactly how it felt. It would be great if it was the same where pleasure is concerned. It's a survival thing, I'm sure, but knowing such things doesn't make you not want to drink once you're feeling great again, physically. As a chronic relapser, I know that all too well. After 6 years of sobriety, I relapsed and went on an 8-day bender under the same old delusion that it would be different "this time." It wasn't. I recommend getting into some program of recovery. I chose AA, mostly because of the social interaction, and given my tendency to isolate. I have found that the steps really do help and provide the direction I was lacking.

Congrats on 100 days, BTW!
Old 09-06-2021, 01:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
Thanks. You're right about the need to change other things in life previously connected to drinking. I have a lot to distract me from drinking most of the time. It can be hard though; I was at birthday celebrations recently, and also at three or four restaurant meals with family and friends where wine and beer were flowing freely. That was tough - not because of any physical craving (I don't think I've ever have that when I'm sober), more a kind of sadness at not being able to be part of the occasion in the same way as others, or the way I used to. I've always been a happy drinker, not a nasty one. People have actually encouraged me to drink in the past, as it 'makes me relaxed and happier' - so I don't worry about insulting people, letting people down or causing fights etc. The reasons for quitting are my own mental and physical health and the knowledge that I can't control it, it controls me.
I feel like a teacher telling kids off, but who are we to tell anyone off 🙂

It’s hard to change so don’t beat yourself up if you’re not a different person just yet. I tell you what, though, if you got to 100 days without changing much else, you’re doing fantastically already.

As for the restaurants, etc, I know it’s been a cr4p year and we shouldn’t turn down chances to meet up, but maybe skip the next few evenings out? They sound too tempting. Just as an aside, when I was six months sober, I went out with some colleagues I didn’t really like. They got absolutely blitzed - and were working the next day, we were on a so-called business trip talking about engineering or something. I looked at each of them and saw red-faced, burned out and unhealthy faces. You’ll do the same and wonder why you even drank.

All sounds positive, but be wary. I’m coming up to 1000 days and still keep my guard up 🙂
Old 09-06-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Congratulations on 100 days Cornishman. I had a 6 month (180+ day) run of sobriety earlier this year and blew it because I started to reminisce about the happier times of my drinking days rather than continuing to work on my sobriety. One of my biggest problem in the end was complacency, along with boredom. I don't think I made enough changes to my life and was essentially doing much the same as I had been doing when I was drinking, except actually drinking. Are there things you would like to do that you wouldn't have done while you were drinking? Something that can make a difference to your life and which has no association with drinking?
☹️ Didn’t know that, Robbie. Genuinely sorry to hear as I thought you were happy sober. Hope you’re doing OK. Things have got to change. I think you know that 🙂