Notices

Fun Fact - An Opinion on 'Can't'

Old 09-05-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fun Fact - An Opinion on 'Can't'

Linguistically speaking, using the word 'can't' in a sentence immediately creates an unspoken dependent clause that begins with the word 'unless.'

Try it. "I can't _____, unless ____."

Anything is possible. The only question is what are the constraints and what resources, conditions, etc. are required.

True, some situations are considerably more difficult than others. I can't play NBA basketball unless I become so skilled at the mechanics of the game that I overcome my 5'8" height and overcome my arthritic hips. How bad do I want to do that? Not really important to me. So I'll spare myself the effort.

Sobriety? Yes. I want that. So what are the constraints? What are the conditions? What support do I need?

"I can't be sober, unless I don't drink."
"I can't withstand peer pressure, unless I change who I'm hanging out with."
"I can't stand how I feel when I'm sober, unless I change habits and routines that reinforce better outcomes."

Not suggesting being naive, rather pointing out can't is usually a sign that it's time to shift perspectives and start exploring options.

Don't drink.

-B
Old 09-05-2021, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YES!
I love this post.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

By any means! It has gotten better and better.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2021, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent Buckley3!
Employing the power of linguistics to drive home the message!
Old 09-06-2021, 04:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley3 View Post
Linguistically speaking, using the word 'can't' in a sentence immediately creates an unspoken dependent clause that begins with the word 'unless.'

Try it. "I can't _____, unless ____."

Anything is possible. The only question is what are the constraints and what resources, conditions, etc. are required.

True, some situations are considerably more difficult than others. I can't play NBA basketball unless I become so skilled at the mechanics of the game that I overcome my 5'8" height and overcome my arthritic hips. How bad do I want to do that? Not really important to me. So I'll spare myself the effort.

Sobriety? Yes. I want that. So what are the constraints? What are the conditions? What support do I need?

"I can't be sober, unless I don't drink."
"I can't withstand peer pressure, unless I change who I'm hanging out with."
"I can't stand how I feel when I'm sober, unless I change habits and routines that reinforce better outcomes."

Not suggesting being naive, rather pointing out can't is usually a sign that it's time to shift perspectives and start exploring options.

Don't drink.

-B
Great post. We can't remove the word "can't" from the English language, but we would do well to remove it from much of our mental processing. "Can't" is a sign that it's time to start exploring options, rather than using it as an excuse to remain stuck in one place. "Can't finalizes any issue and ends forward motion.