Notices

New Career in Early Sobriety

Old 09-03-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Career in Early Sobriety

Good morning all!
I love posting things that have happened in my life, because you all are so helpful. Thank you for that
The past six months have been nothing short of amazing. I quit drinking at the end of February after being admitted to the hospital. I feel like I came out a different person. Since mid-March, I've lost fifty pounds that I had put on from drinking, and emotional eating. Exercise and watching what you put into your body really CAN do wonders for the body, apparently haha.

I'm just over six months sober, and have found a new career. The company I'll be working for sent an email with an offer for hire in it two days ago.
I have my health screening and an appointment with HR today. There's one thing that is making my anxiety creep around inside though, and that is explaining this to my current boss.
I've worked for this man for 14 years. He has become a friend, and in most cases he's like family. Family dinners, family trips, etc...
He is extremely negative, and over the course of 14 years, I've been the brunt of his negativity. He talks horribly about most of his clients, and all of his employees, and all of this is what I hear all day. Also, he is as cynical as they come! He calls things ugly, and stupid at least fifty times a day. For instance, just the other day he called the sky stupid, and horribly ugly just because the sun was out. I could go on about his negativity, but I think you've probably got the point.
Anyhow, the new position is putting me through a course to train me, and then I'll have a 2-year contract with them for work. It begins mid-September, so I've got to let my current boss know soon.

Thanks all for reading. This is hugely exciting to me! I cannot believe what six months of sobriety can do, and I believe it's so magical!

Hope you all have a terrific weekend.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats WP
Just be matter if fact when you tell him. It’s a step forward for you.
How he reacts is not up to you, not your problem.

D

Old 09-03-2021, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the life change. If your current boss is that negative, it sounds like you'll be much happier elsewhere. Maybe there are online resources on the best way to tell your boss you're quitting. Maybe something like "I have an opportunity that I feel lead to take ".
Old 09-03-2021, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YAY! This sounds so promising. I am truly happy for you.
As for your current boss.......
There is nothing that can be done about his frame of mind. Just give him your notice and do not be detoured by his negativity. You deserve to be happy! He will do what he does. Thankfully you are getting out from under his leadership!
Old 09-03-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's been a lot in six months, going beyond sobriety and making big changes in your life. I would put that in the category of amazing.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Outstanding progress WindPines!

Just tell him, maybe sugar coat it a bit, make sure to thank him for the opportunities he gave you, then move on.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Echoing what others have said, just tell him the truth. If he also considers you a friend, then he should be happy for you and your new opportunity. Sure, it's going to be a challenge for him to replace you, but that's his job. You have nothing to feel badly about here. I'd tap out your resignation letter today, read it, re-read it, and get it sent to him asap. The sooner that you can get this done, the better for your mental health. Congratulations.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, WindPines! I was just looking back at an old post of mine in a thread where you'd said you had 40 days, and now you have 6 months and sobriety is clicking for you, that's beautiful. It really is magical!