Notices

Losing interest in old activities

Old 08-28-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing interest in old activities

I used to club DJ...then did it for the last few years online (ALWAYS with several drinks).
Pretty much nightly -I used to binge watch "interesting" youtube videos at night ALWAYS with several drinks). Then blackout or pass out.

There are a few more previously "fascinating" hobbies / past times that - now sober- seriously no longer can hold my interest.

So now......
Reading a book in bed or listening to a relaxing podcast or simply writing or journaling holds my interest!
Anything quiet and drama free.

I feel a bit bored- but peaceful (powerful in a way)....productive, relaxed....
Can you relate?

Old 08-28-2021, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
Can you relate?
Absolutely.

I had any number of things I "loved" to do while drinking. When I quit drinking, those things didn't hold the same charm. Became pretty apparent that drinking was the activity I was most engaged in.

Like you, I've found new activities that I enjoy...sober.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

A book and an early night is my idea of bliss LOl but if you find some sober things good but boring, why not look out for new interests hobbies and experience that a sober you will not find boring?

There's nothign that says your life has to stop evolving once you get sober

D
Old 08-28-2021, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate. Unfortunately yard work was one of those activities. Used to love mowing the lawn, weeding and keeping the garden looking good etc... For whatever reason I have lost interest in this after stopping drinking. I still have to do it ofcourse but I dont enjoy it at all anymore.
Old 08-28-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There were a few things I did while drinking that I had to do over again when I was sober. A couple of examples are rewatching the last half hour of a movie or rereading that last couple of chapters of a mystery book.

When drinking, I was usually pretty drunk by the end of each activity and couldn't remember how they ended.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to watch the same super sentimental YouTube videos over and over when drinking, once I had settled into my chair. Passing out wasn't far off at that point.

Going to sleep while reading in the bed is my nightly ritual now.

I've lost interest in staying out while working or fishing, as there are no plans of drinking as early as possible.

Old 08-28-2021, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

There’s a definitely a trade off. I used to love going out to eat… to get my fancy drinks. Then I got sober, and going out to eat …was dreaded, no drinks who cares. Then it became meh…. Now I get all excited again! Only this time its because I’m tasting and enjoying foods and yes, room for dessert!

I did the whole let’s listen to music passing out…and music stopped doing it for me for a long time in sobriety. Out of nowhere, bam, it became amazing like when I was a teen. I could really get amped up into the songs without booze.

I came to appreciate boring things differently as peaceful and calm, leaves me with energy to get up early and maybe try new things.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What I used to call 'boring' I now call 'peaceful'. I'll gladly take 'boring' over chaos any day. And now, I find joy in lots of things, the biggest being walking my beagirl Billie in nice weather. Walking her isn't 'exciting' but it's peaceful and quiet and comforting and I get a kick out of watching her just 'being a dog'.

When I was drinking, I wasn't doing much besides drinking. My worst day sober is far better than my best day drunk.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes.
I used to drink like a fish and post my every drunken thought on social media.

It was "fun" during. Not so much the next day.
I don't have social media anymore now that I'm sober.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If my team had a football game I would try and delay drinking until the 2nd half so I could focus a bit. College football lots of times i ended up flipping through early games sober. Sometimes I got drunk during the late afternoon game, passed out half way through the evening game. Then came to in the middle of the night and watched the replay of the evening game I had passed out during, pitiful!

More pitiful then that. Too drunk to really focus on anything I'd watch a lot of short clips. Lots of music and movie and tv scenes. Take my drunk mind back to the old days, the good, the bad, the ugly. I dont know what it is but the kind of rebellious kid I was at 12 in the 7th grade. Constantly getting suspended from school, having a good time, just before getting expelled from public school (for the 2nd time) in 8th grade. In 8th grade I was miserable, went to schools for emotionally disturbed children, gave up on God and was an active alcoholic in another year.

Anyway I was really into Motley crue in that last fun year (1987). 86, 87ish I thought they were role models, lol. It seemed that seeing a couple crue videos middle aged and drunk would take me back to that fun loving, have a good time whatever the cost kid. It seemed motley crue vids would send me to the ATM and then the inner city to go score crack and whatever else. It could escalate all the way to the needle.

Now I watch lots of politics, sports, and car stuff. I can focus on football games and I've found a little bit of the enjoyment of the game that I had as a little boy. Drunk sometimes with my team, the drink would escalate that childish emotion and... well, I guess you know how WE can get.

Mostly listen to music on siruis xm in the car. Yeah, I will still crank up an old school motley crue song from time to time.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are ready to move on. Another chapter in your life. I think getting sober means doing boring mundane things for a while. But your system is probably taking a break from what it's gone through, recharging and getting ready for an exciting future. Go for it!! John
Old 08-30-2021, 12:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ZIP

It wasn't until I finally went AF that I realized a lot of the "fun" stuff wasn't really all that fun or interesting. It was simply connected to drinking...which had turned into a daily habit. I left that hole for other interests and activities.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I regained interest in lots of hobbies and interests once I stopped drinking. Our world becomes really small and rather boring when we are actively in our addiction.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Before I stopped drinking, I would sit in my apartment for a few days drinking vodka and watching youtube videos all day. Now that I dont drink, I certainly dont spend my time doing that anymore.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, interests change. I did alot of wood sculpture and furniture making until alcohol took over. A few drinks gave me a creative streak, alot of drinks destroyed it. When I got sober I just couldn't find that same motivation and the smell of sawdust made me want a whiskey so I switched to metalwork and welding. I still do woodworking, but only for functional items, nothing fancy. I used to always do gardening while drinking too, but luckily I still like doing it sober. Maybe you could find a new or similar hobby or try something you've always wanted to do.