Notices

Going to an AA meeting tomorrow

Old 08-27-2021, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to an AA meeting tomorrow

I’m going to an AA meeting tomorrow what should I expect? I’m in uk. I’m nervous about it. I’m lying on my bed right now with hangover
Old 08-27-2021, 04:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can expect to be with people who have suffered from alcoholism and who have found a solution to free themselves from alcoholism. The solution is in the 12 steps. You can look up AA online and get your reading on before the meeting so you know what you are in for.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great decision. You will see many who have recovered from alcoholism and have been sober for many years 🙏
Old 08-27-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Initially, I was afraid/ashamed of showing up in a place like that. But the people were very welcoming, happy, and sober. Everyone was encouraging and understanding. Your first experience may not be the same. I doubt that you will feel like an outsider for long.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m going to an AA meeting tomorrow what should I expect?

You will meet a bunch of people who have gone what you are going through, or worse. Who are now "happy, joyous and free."

And you might think to yourself, that you want to be like them.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great decision! Now get on it and conquer this. Hope you feel better soon
Old 08-27-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

I was scared sh*tless to go to my first meeting, but I was desperate and at the end of my rope. I don't think I heard a word that was spoken. I just remember everything sounding like "wah...wah...wah...", but somewhere in my soul I heard the message that sobriety is possible...even for an alcoholic like me. So I went back to another meeting. I now have a few years of recovery from alcoholism. That first meeting was a turning point for me. It was the best thing I have ever done and saved my life.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the meeting will go well, Disser.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best Disser - Grab the help with both hands, pull your self ashore.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will find people from all walks of life who are in recovery from alcoholism and they are eager to share their solution with those still suffering from it.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Probably not too much different then America. Start with introductions. You can say your name and either im an alcoholic, I have a desire not to drink today, i may be alcoholic, an observer, etc.

What makes me alcoholic is that once i take a drink I can not control how much I will drink. This is combined with a mental obsession to drink on days when I'm sober. If this is you then you are likely alcoholic. In my case I generally only drank 2 nights a week. You don't have to drink at an amount or frequency to qualify as alcoholic. As for membership in AA, it only requires a desire to stop drinking.

In America they will ask if anyone is in their first 90 days without a drink. Most will give their day count but its not required. Then there will be several readings of the literature. Then it depends on the type of meeting. Could be a speaker meeting where somebody speaks for 20 minutes or so and then people may offer to comment. Its possible the entire meeting could just be the speaker but I haven't seen that type often. Most of the meetings I have been to consisted of going around the room and everyone reads a couple of paragraphs from the literature. Then either they share for a few minutes on what they just read or everyone just reads and you are offered to share after all of the reading is done. Most try to limit shares to 4 minutes or something, its not always enforced and probably most of us have been guilty of rambling from time to time.

About half way through we pass a collection basket. Especially if you are new, you are not required or expected to put anything in. Generally people put in a dollar or two, at least in USD. Its not a scam, AA is self supporting. They usually provide coffee and snacks so it's still a bargain.

What surprised me was how much I had in common with other alcoholics.

When we get a new person everyone of the same sex, if its a guy all the guys, a woman then all the women. We write down our phone numbers on a meeting list. If you are struggling in the following days you can reach out to any of us. Even if you have any questions or whatever. Its encouraged to network out and be around other sober people. By no means do you have to but we are here if you need us.

For God sakes don't get run off by the higher power thing. You don't have to believe anything! Its not a religious cult. Just find a power greater then yourself. That could be as simple as the power of the group. Belief in the power of the group is a start. Together we are stronger. Just trust in the group. Trust in something other then self I think can move mountains in early sobriety. For me it went much easier then I thought possible in the beginning. Only days before my first meeting I had thought a life without alcohol was not possible!
Old 08-27-2021, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Probably not too much different then America. Start with introductions. You can say your name and either im an alcoholic, I have a desire not to drink today, i may be alcoholic, an observer, etc.

What makes me alcoholic is that once i take a drink I can not control how much I will drink. This is combined with a mental obsession to drink on days when I'm sober. If this is you then you are likely alcoholic. In my case I generally only drank 2 nights a week. You don't have to drink at an amount or frequency to qualify as alcoholic. As for membership in AA, it only requires a desire to stop drinking.

In America they will ask if anyone is in their first 90 days without a drink. Most will give their day count but its not required. Then there will be several readings of the literature. Then it depends on the type of meeting. Could be a speaker meeting where somebody speaks for 20 minutes or so and then people may offer to comment. Its possible the entire meeting could just be the speaker but I haven't seen that type often. Most of the meetings I have been to consisted of going around the room and everyone reads a couple of paragraphs from the literature. Then either they share for a few minutes on what they just read or everyone just reads and you are offered to share after all of the reading is done. Most try to limit shares to 4 minutes or something, its not always enforced and probably most of us have been guilty of rambling from time to time.

About half way through we pass a collection basket. Especially if you are new, you are not required or expected to put anything in. Generally people put in a dollar or two, at least in USD. Its not a scam, AA is self supporting. They usually provide coffee and snacks so it's still a bargain.

What surprised me was how much I had in common with other alcoholics.

When we get a new person everyone of the same sex, if its a guy all the guys, a woman then all the women. We write down our phone numbers on a meeting list. If you are struggling in the following days you can reach out to any of us. Even if you have any questions or whatever. Its encouraged to network out and be around other sober people. By no means do you have to but we are here if you need us.

For God sakes don't get run off by the higher power thing. You don't have to believe anything! Its not a religious cult. Just find a power greater then yourself. That could be as simple as the power of the group. Belief in the power of the group is a start. Together we are stronger. Just trust in the group. Trust in something other then self I think can move mountains in early sobriety. For me it went much easier then I thought possible in the beginning. Only days before my first meeting I had thought a life without alcohol was not possible!
thank you this was very helpful. Makes me even more nervous to be honest knowing that I have to read in front of people. This is something I would usually back out of…but what’s the other option I drink again. Saying I’m going to quit is always easier said than done
Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone. Off to work now then later tonight I’ll be going to aa meeting
Old 08-27-2021, 10:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck at your AA meeting. AA saved my life. Please just keep an open mind. I am in the uk and the meetings are slightly different than in the states in that you won't be called upon to speak. There is usually a greater and a tea person there who may realise you are new to the group and will welcome you. You can just sit and listen. Its completely up to you if you want to speak or not.

Just remember everyone is there for the same reason. A desire to stop drinking. My ex sponsor always used to say "leave your pride at the door. Don't die from pride" and I love that.

Let us know how you get on
Old 08-28-2021, 07:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really hope you go Disser. AA is amazing. All people like us.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a horrible drug.
It absolutely ravishes our mind, body, and soul - but at the same time, it hits our brain's reward center in exactly the right spot.

In AA, you will find other people that have realized this in one way or another and found a solution in the form of continuous sobriety and personal improvement.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Alcohol is a horrible drug.
It absolutely ravishes our mind, body, and soul - but at the same time, it hits our brain's reward center in exactly the right spot.

In AA, you will find other people that have realized this in one way or another and found a solution in the form of continuous sobriety and personal improvement.
It absolutely ravages...
lol
not ravishes. My bad.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Did you go to your AA meeting?
Old 08-30-2021, 01:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
Did you go to your AA meeting?
no because after work I didn’t have enough time to get changed. I’m going on thurs though and I don’t have work that day
Old 08-30-2021, 03:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Disser View Post
no because after work I didn’t have enough time to get changed. I’m going on thurs though and I don’t have work that day
I hope that's not too long a wait. You've already had thoughts of alcohol. By Wednesday the memory of your worst hangover ever will have faded and you don't have to work the next day. Danger zone.