Notices

Anyone have a fever during withdrawal or PAWS?

Old 08-26-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have a fever during withdrawal or PAWS?

I am asking for personal experience not medical advice. I am over 8 months sober. Yesterday I had a broken and cracked tooth extracted. I was sedated for the procedure and they gave me a very small dose of Versed, some fentanyl and ketamine. I was only out for an hour or so. After I got home and a few hours later I started having a headache, chills and then a fever. The chills reminded me of when I was withdrawing from alcohol. But I don't recall having a fever back then. I called the Oral Surgeon. He said he is pretty sure the fever would not be from the procedure especially so soon. Also I have been on an antibiotic for 5 days to see if it helps my swollen gland issue that I have been having. Anyway, I am wondering if the fever and chills could be from coming off the meds, especially the Versed which is a benzo? I also took two home Covid tests yesterday that were negative.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There could be a whole host of reasons for a fever CBS, and you have some pretty specific medical questions there - glad you called the doctor as they are going to be your best bet. While it's tempting, searching the internet or forums for answers to medical questions will likely just lead to more questions and more concerns for you.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Scott. I also emailed my primary care doc about it. I am pretty good these days about not dr. Googling. But just wondered if the fever could be from coming off the meds.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
But just wondered if the fever could be from coming off the meds.
It could, and it also might not. Again - only a doctor can answer that specific to the meds you have taken and the procedure you've recently undergone. It would be irresponsible ( and against forum policy ) for us to speculate.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're feeling ill. I hope your doctors can help figure it out and you'll feel better soon CBS

D
Old 08-26-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing a good job of taking care of yourself. It's good you called the Oral Surgeon and your gp. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fever is gone today. I have no idea what caused it. But thanks for reading my post and reaching out Anna , Dee and Scott.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
Fever is gone today. I have no idea what caused it. But thanks for reading my post and reaching out Anna , Dee and Scott.
Very glad to hear that CBS. I am a diagnosed heath anxiety sufferer so I very clearly understand what it feels like to worry about health issues, even little ones. I am glad you posted and shared your concerns.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I certainly never had a fever with paws. It could be from something else. Hope you feel better soon.