Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day . Part 2 -Weekenders 27 - 30 August 2021

Notices

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day . Part 2 -Weekenders 27 - 30 August 2021

Old 08-26-2021, 07:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Sorry about your daughter, Free. It does sound like the beast talking. And maybe, as Bim said, it's the universe protecting you right now. It's got to be just AWFUL watching your child struggling like this. I can only imagine - my kids have struggled in various ways over the years, but nothing quite like that.

Dropped daughter #2 at the airport this morning for another trip east to visit her friends there before college starts. She will be back Monday. I know she will move there - she's already talking about it. Trying to talk her out of moving in the middle of the year. She knows she won't get any trust fund money if she's not in college, so she'd have to find a new school to enroll in or quickly learn to support herself, or mooch off her friends. I'm hoping she either changes her mind completely or at least waits until the summer. I get really stressy thinking about trying to help her move mid-year. I guess I could just refuse to help unless she waits... I'll wait and see.

I have been super busy at work, classes start next week here. Crazy rush to get everything ready for that. Plus I'm working on another little "project" that I'll keep as a surprise.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim

Yes, this episode has moved me also to let go of my sister, who doesn’t seem to reach out to me, can’t visit me, but visits others. Message is clear from HP.

Happiness is staying away from @$$holes.

Letting my daughter find her way, and staying clear from ANYONE who clearly doesn’t care for me.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Sitting in the garden. Lovely and sunny. To get up to 25C, the hottest it's been for weeks. Last gasp of summer before the autumn weather sets. Drinking a cool pepsi max.

Wish I could enjoy any of this. Just forcing myself out here. I wanna be under the covers.
Getting out can be so difficult when suffering from depression but YOU DID IT; well done; you are capable of doing so much more, freedomfries; dig deep within you and pull out the strength that lies within.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Magsie

Freedomfries, baby steps, that great!

Bim, it was a bit like Groundhog Day! , he’s home and can’t do much for a few days. He’s needing the painkillers.

Free, I remember my best friend and my husband telling me to stop drinking and I couldn’t/wouldn’t. In the cold light of day we have a free will to make our own choices.
I like these words I read on SR and it’s all we can do to help but at the end of the day it’s down to each individual person to chose their path. Hopefully it will be the sober one..I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on! It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!
Old 08-26-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks MLD. Yes, I think it’s her beast.

Best for me to be here, and out in nature.

Chose to try and golf yesterday afternoon to enjoy some of the outdoors.

In between patients will check in
Old 08-26-2021, 08:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Freedomfries - ever hear the term "fake it 'til you make it?" That's what a lot of us had to do in the beginning - go do the things people tell you to do, the things you know you SHOULD do, like going to meetings, getting outside, finding new hobbies - even if you don't feel like it or don't think they will help. Because here's the thing. We have experience. We know it's hard, that it seems hopeless sometimes, and that those things can't possibly "work." But hey - they work for a LOT of people, and you are not that different from the rest of us. So it might seem like you are forcing yourself, but just try things that people ask you to try, and you WILL find the things that work for you. Just keep at it. I'm happy to hear that you got outside today - baby steps.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Afternoon Weekenders. In for another booze free weekend, thanks Mags.

Free2bme, that must be very disappointing and frustrating. I don‘t have children, but imagine there‘s only so much that a parent can do. What gets me though is how painful this must be for you. Unless I‘m confused, I remember you made a heartwarming post not long ago about how much your daughter means to you. Wishing you all the best. I think staying sober is the best you can do now.
  # 28 (permalink)  

Free2, how very disappointing and frustrating for you and Dr. Free. You have done all that you possibly can to help your daughter. She is the one who has to make the changes and do the hard work. I know how hard it must be to sit back and watch and wait. I am really sorry that you are going through this.

# 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. Good words, I remember them from an OP a few months ago here on weekenders.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks captain and SL 🥰❤️
Old 08-26-2021, 08:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Freedomfries - ever hear the term "fake it 'til you make it?" That's what a lot of us had to do in the beginning - go do the things people tell you to do, the things you know you SHOULD do, like going to meetings, getting outside, finding new hobbies - even if you don't feel like it or don't think they will help. Because here's the thing. We have experience. We know it's hard, that it seems hopeless sometimes, and that those things can't possibly "work." But hey - they work for a LOT of people, and you are not that different from the rest of us. So it might seem like you are forcing yourself, but just try things that people ask you to try, and you WILL find the things that work for you. Just keep at it. I'm happy to hear that you got outside today - baby steps.
Love this ❤️❤️
Old 08-26-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Grateful for all the lovely posts. Glad to be here with such great people.
Love and peace to you all. ☮
Old 08-26-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend!

Thanks for the OP Mags, this week has flown by. Well done on last week gang, 338 posts. Like old times.

Glad you went outside for a while freedomfries. It usually helps.

Sorry about your daughter free2. No one can quit for us. That part has to come from within.

Thumbs up for your presentation PhoenixJ!

I got to visit a part of London's new sewage system today. Glamorous huh? It really is an immense project though - £5 billion/US $7 billion or about £740 for every adult Londoner. It involves some very large tunnels.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:00 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Sao, you're really livin' the Life, eh?

That sounds like a very reasonable cost, I'd pay triple that if it was needed! Not a penny more, tho - and I'd like a payment plan please.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It's crap to everyone else bim but it's my bread and butter
Old 08-26-2021, 11:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Thanks Mags.
I always love the op's...

Salutations weekender aficionados from the atlantic coast on this our last week of hols. The sunsets are incredible.

Bisous.
Vinny
I should say the smoke from wildfires in the western USA is causing those brilliant sunsets lately.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm in for another sober weekend!
Old 08-26-2021, 03:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Marty that was a brilliant post! ❤️
Freedom, well done on getting outside. That’s great. And I totally agree with the “fake it to you make it” idea. And what Mags said about taking the advice of people that have got long term sobriety here, as you travel along the sober pathway, which can be tricky at times. They have great advice that works, but we each have to take the steps ourselves, nobody can walk them for us, but there’s plenty of people reaching out to hold our hands and help keep us steady as we walk the path. I believe you can do it.

Free, I really feel for you, it must be devastating. Sending you a huge cyber hug

Friday morning here and I plan for a sober weekend
This will be my 15th consecutive sober weekend
Old 08-26-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Staying on for another weekend
Old 08-26-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your daughter Free.

Here at SR I try and stick to boundaries - if I start 'taking too much work home with me' (when I'm offline) I know I need a break.

It must be another level entirely with children - but I'm glad your boundaries are set too

D