Notices

Trying To Get My Life Back

Old 12-11-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying To Get My Life Back

i'M 28 YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN DRINKING FOR ABOUT 13 YEARS. ABOUT A MONTH AGO MY HUSBAND OF ONLY10 MONTHS LEFT ME. HE HAS BEEN WARNING ME FOR ABOUT A YEAR OR SO THAT HE WOULD LEAVE IF I DIDNT COME HOME AGAIN. I DID IT AGAIN. I WENT ON A 15 HOUR DRINKING BINGE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS SHURT MY BACK AND LOST A WEEK OF WORK AND MMY HUSBAND. I DESPERATELY WANT TO GET MY LIFE BACK I HAVE BEEN IN COUNSELING FOR THE PAST 4 WEEKS. I HAVE HAD 2 SLIPS FOLLOWED BY SEVERE DEPRESSION. MY OLD CONFORT ZONE ALCOHOL NO LONGER WORKS FOR ME. THIS IS THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Gingerale. I have been where you are somewhat. I tried stopping on my own, and also went to counseling. But what worked for me best after drinking for ten yrs was an inpatient treatment program. I had to get away from everyone and everything and put all the focus on myself. It is difficult to stay sober when we don't have any tools to do so when things get really bad. I spent two months away from home. Away from hubby, son and all my friends. I had no choice but to focus on me. It wasn't easy, but the tools I learned and what I learned about myself is what made the difference this time. Also, I neded a medical detox because even thought I wanted to stop drinking, I would start feeling so badly that I would drink to feel normal. I know not everone needs in house treatment, but this is just a suggestion and what worked for me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Gingerale, and Lynnie,

This is a great place. There are alot of wonderful people here to offer support. In patient is a great way to get in touch with yourself and learn the tools needed. If it's not an option for you, I would suggest going to AA. You can also learn the needed tools there. AA has saved my life. As well as this site. Check out you local AA and try to attend a meeting. There will be people there who have been where you are and can help you through the hard times. Please look around and post wherever you feel comfortable.

Sherry
Old 12-11-2004, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Gingerale. It is wonderful you are in counseling.
I know how hard you tried for your marriage to work, but if you were doing it for yourself and not someone else then it cant work. I believe that now that you lost alot, you are willing to do it for your self. I think you got some good advice from Sherbear, be alone for a while to help you help yourself, if you have someone watching your every step or arguing with you, you will go nuts. It sounds like your husband is a good man, and maybe he is givng you the hard love by walking away so you can help yourself. Once you hit bottem there is not where to go but up.
Good Luck and let me know.
Debby
Old 12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ama

Gingerale!!!!

Welcome to SR - welcome to your Recovery!!!!! I understand how hard life must be at the moment for you - but persist in your willingness to accept your alcoholism and you can and will beat it!!!! Get to AA meetings tooo! There is a good and better life for you - one day at a time!!!! Keep your blood sugars up with sugary decaf drinks and chocolate too - this will help with the cravings that come to us all in early recovery.

Luvs And Recovery
Old 12-11-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, gingerale (good screen name!) to your new life. It won't be easy. Stock up on tissues. You've lost a lot. You'll cry a lot no matter what you do now.

No situation is so bad that a drink won't make it worse. Don't drink again no matter what. Here's a story that may help you:

A newcomer, sober only a few weeks, called his sponsor late one weeknight and said he was really terrified that he was about to slip (drink). The sponsor had to get up early for work and couldn't stay on the phone long. He said, "Do you want to stay sober?"

The guy said yes, he wanted to stay sober more than he wanted anything else.

The sponsor said, "Okay, go down to the local police station and tell the desk sergeant that you're an alcoholic in danger of drinking and you want to be locked in a cell so that you can't drink. If he refuses, grab a chair and throw it through the window. Punch any cop that comes near. Wreck the place. They'll lock you up, and you won't drink. Good night." And the sponsor hung up!

That's where the story ends. I don't know what happened next. The point is, are you willing to go to any length to stay sober?

Well? Are you?

I am. I just celebrated 16 years of AA sobriety.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gingerale,

I'm so glad to have read your post. I truly identify with you. My husband also left me because of my drinking. However, in my case, I saw that as an excuse to drink even more.

Today I am on day four of my recovery.. today has been a good day, full of blessings. I was so worried that I was going to lose my job after my last binge (that has left me with a really black eye, and a huge lump on my head) but instead my boss and co-workers gave me the thumbs up and whistles today when I told them of my decision to stop drinking and attend AA. I told myself last night that I wouldn't worry myself into drinking over something that may or may not happen (losing my job), and instead I prayed that whatever happened I would be strengthened by God to face it. I *am* on probation at work, but I see that as another incentive for me to stay sober (a day at a time, which is all I can handle).

This morning I wore makeup for the first time since my husband left me.. (it didn't hide the black eye, but still) and my boss and co-workers told me how pretty I looked. That was a tremendous boost!

If you really want to stop drinking, make that decision for yourself (not for your husband or anyone else). Get to an AA meeting, and come back here too, for support and encouragement - and some good wisdom - from others who know exactly what you're going through.

Hugs!

Lindsey