Notices

did anyone move to other drugs to get them off alcohol?

Old 08-23-2021, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have only just learned that there are many other drugs out there that are illegal, but they are all safer than alcohol - MDMA and truffles for example. Blows my mind that they are not allowed but alcohol (and cigarettes) are!

Government policy really does stink in terms of the drug class system and they give alcohol a free run in society.

Alcohol would apparently be class B if it was in it's correct place.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A GP mate of mine said to me once that if alcohol had just been discovered and come out now it would be classed as a class A drug. Yes it is nuts how we view other drugs than alcohol.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only Holland and Portugal seem to have it correct on drugs.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmm....not sure how safe any of that is to be honest. Possibly chemically but I know that taking drugs damaged my mental and emotional health as much, if not more, than drinking has.

I bounced my way through a few things trying to find a substitute for alcohol and at the end of a decade I reckon the only substitute is learning to live without substances and just looking after yourself properly
Old 08-23-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hmmm....not sure how safe any of that is to be honest. Possibly chemically but I know that taking drugs damaged my mental and emotional health as much, if not more, than drinking has.

I bounced my way through a few things trying to find a substitute for alcohol and at the end of a decade I reckon the only substitute is learning to live without substances and just looking after yourself properly
Sorry, yes that what I was meaning. Health-wise like how good or bad something is for your liver or kidney etc.. :-)
Old 08-23-2021, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersport View Post
Sorry, yes that what I was meaning. Health-wise like how good or bad something is for your liver or kidney etc.. :-)
Yeah, I get you. I've heard that alcohol damaged every single organ in the body. It poisons everywhere but its legal, which is just insane. Taxed, regulated poison we are all advised to drink in moderation!
Old 08-23-2021, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

since quitting is hard I'd like to negate some of the alcohol effects.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that just takes time, effort and self-care my friend. Sleep well, eat well and move. Try and laugh sometimes too! That's how I am doing it x
Old 08-23-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
under new management

Sometimes there is no way to get around something painful and uncomfortable except to go through it.

My early days of recovery were hellish but, looking back now, I wouldn't change a thing.

My sober life was hard won and all the more precious for it.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had something like that. About 9 years ago I stopped drinking alcohol and any other recreational drugs still till this day. No recovery plan no treatment program just was really focused on martial arts and life. I had alot of injuries on top of arthritis so Ive been on prescription opiates for sometime. And I was taking as prescribed then eventually my tolerance required more which doctor were more than happy to refill. It got to a point where I physically needed it or withdrawal city here we come. Then the mental side effects came along with it. With the help and support of sober recovery members. I told my doctor about my addiction and I was placed on a taper plan. I just shoved that hand full of pills down and made a commitment to myself that I was done. A average user would have died. And many do in recovery. But I am here working on day 466 with a recovery plan and support. No secret recovery plan just hard work and commitment working day by day.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I seesawed between weed and alcohol for a long time….usually I’d end up doing both together.

Finally worked out the real problem was me - trying to fill a void, to escape from reality, to avoid feeling bad at all costs….

D
Old 08-23-2021, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a neurotoxin that our livers (and other organs) just happen to have the right enzymes to break down (eventually) into something less harmful.
It fries nerve cells and makes people arrogantly stupid. Or maybe that was just me.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nope. I went the other way.

Many years ago before it became legal in many areas, I was smoking a lot of pot. As I was approaching graduation and about to enter my profession and I was worried that my nightly pot smoking would be discovered and kill my career. So I quit smoking pot and switched to drinking a few beers at night since that was legal and socially acceptable in my field. It was a 20 year downhill slide into serious daily drinking from that point.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

After my nearly instantaneous addiction to alcohol after I held off till almost 21— I refused to even try anything else. I feel like I’d go overboard quickly and be in dire trouble again, or more in trouble when I was drinking.

That’s illegal or legal actual drugs.. like pot. However, I catch myself eating too much sugar or drinking too much caffeine at times. I try to keep that in check as well.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posts removed. That’s where we’ll leave this thread.

Dee
Administrator
SR