Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 20 - 23 August 2021

Notices

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 20 - 23 August 2021

Old 08-19-2021, 04:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi all weekenders.i will start with a good cribbing session. Ok my day begins with a phone call, i sell flooring in my store and the fitter after 5 years has decided to finish due to stress, i do understand as after the covid lock downs we've had here in Ireland 🇮🇪 and its been crazy busy since we fully opened again. I now have to find a new tradesmen which are difficult to get right now so im on break and looking at a full diary of jobs which will be very delayed or unlikely to be done at all. With that i have a trapped nerve in my neck and pain running down my right arm. Also my inlaws arrived yesterday with a camper full of food and wine from France. Great to see them and all but i didnt need any temptation at home but i will not drink. All tools will be at work for the foreseeable future .
Rant over. Have a great weekend otherwise everyone.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Flushed the vodka down the toilet. What a waste of money.
lThats good new Freedomfries. It’s where it belongs, just like bleach.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Magsie

Al, I hope you find a new tradesman soon. And hope the trapped nerve in your neck eases. keep those sober tools busy. Hope your day gets better.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, great OP.

Goin' with the flow. It's really the only way. Early days sober it's hard to just get through a day. Hang on, everyone who's struggling. With sober Time you'll find a life you had forgotten. Peaceful. No drama or at least no unnecessary drama that's self-inflicted.

In early stressed-out days I would often have a nature YouTube video going...like this:

Old 08-19-2021, 06:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

A bit late in replying to a question Mags posted in the last Weekenders thread (about bridges in Newcastle)

Robbie if I remember rightly, one of your bridges is built the same as a bridge in America, or vice versa (or was it Australia )
The Tyne Bridge in Newcastle and Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia were designed by the same engineering firm and built by the same contractors (both were based in the north east of England). The design of both bridges was based on the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City which had been built a decade previously.

Tyne Bridge Sydney Harbour Bridge Hell Gate Bridge
Old 08-19-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
I was the queen of making excuses to drink. "It was a bad day" was one of my favorites. I mean, who could blame me? Thing is, I was often exaggerating the "badness" in my own head, in order to have a really good reason to drink. But really, any reason to drink worked for me. Bad, good, a day of the week ending in y....

Bad days happen. Putting them into perspective is the trick. And learning that you can, indeed get through bad days. You have to remember that you have somehow gotten through all of them, up to this point. You don't need alcohol to do it. You can ask for help. You can cry, you can blow off steam, you can be angry, you can say it's not fair. But you don't have to drink. And you'll be much better equipped to actually handle the bad stuff, instead of drinking to avoid the feelings or the work required. I am constantly amazed at how much easier it is to navigate the daily ups and downs now. I still get scared, anxious, I worry, I get angry, I get sad, I lie awake at night sometimes. But in the end, I get through it. I have faith in myself now -- I didn't have so much of that before. We are all stronger than we give ourselves credit for. We just have to believe that.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags.

I put my hedge plants online for sale yesterday and someone is coming for them tomorrow. All good.

Nice bird song, Bim

Alfie and his buddy.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim, lovely bird song, very relaxing.

Robbie, ah thanks for the info. I was watching extreme engineering earlier and it was about a bridge built in China. It was so high and one of the architects was showing how they built it with a model bridge whilst sat with her legs over the edge of the would be road. it was so high up she couldn’t see the ground. I thought of you.

Marty, I feel that way nowadays. It’s almost like I’ve grown up if that makes sense. I visited the bottle for any excuse until it got that I didn’t need an excuse to drink. Now I face my fears and joys and hopes, but do it sober.
Never thought I could never thought I would want to. I think when you really want it, you can.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

^
lovely picture Kaily!
Old 08-19-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Magsie

Kaily that good news! Selling your older hedge. Aw where’s Daisy whilst Alfie’s chatting to his cute friend?
Old 08-19-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

"It’s almost like I’ve grown up if that makes sense."
Yes, Mags, that makes perfect sense. That's exactly how I feel, too.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

such a good choice. Way to go !!!
Old 08-19-2021, 07:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Besides invaluable SR - an aggregate of remarkable People - a primary Tool is maintaining Sober Perspective, and Serenity. As Bim notes, I pretty much leave the Drama for Practitioners thereof. Last Friday The 13th up Helen Gone in the Mountains at 8,400' [2,960 Meters], this *Chill_i_tude* got a vigorous Workout.

I was sitting under 2 massive Pine Trees at my secluded Campsite with MesaPup leashed to a lone Aspen Tree that provided maximum freedom to schnort around. By blind, dumb Luck - my favorite type - I looked up from a Book on The Afterlife to see MesaPup noshing down 'something'. The Universe signaled me this was not right. I popped up to clear his Mouth, but it was gone. I jammed my Hand down into this Peat Moss-type mix of stuff, and pulled out the bottom of a Mushroom. Begging the question: why would a Pup like a Mushroom? Thanks to always camping in Cell Service areas - made possible by a Cell Amplifier and Directional Antenna - I hopped on this Laptop for speedy research. Unknown to me, the deadly 'Death Cap Mushroom' smells like yummy Fish while decaying. A 'Shroom is fatal for Adults. A few bits can be fatal to Dogs, and often is. The remedy? Induce vomiting using Hydrogen Peroxide. WHICH, I vaguely recalled having [and never using] in the RV Trailer.

Well, it works. As in, about 90 Seconds works. In the Trailer. And Outside. And in the Grass. In irony not lost on me, the 'Shroom Toxins induce conditions that sound quite like an Alcoholic Death over a few Days: Liver Failure. Kidney Failure. Yellow Eyes Jaundice. Ataxia [loss of Muscle Control]. None of this happened, of course. I snagged a 'Shroom 'Knuckle' piece out of his 'recycled' Food which - fortunately - he had just eaten ~1 Hour prior. This Food Mass helped prevent Toxin permeation.

I then had time to check off all the 'Shroom characteristics on-line that matched [they all did]. The kinda-sheepish Campground Host knew of one other Stand of them also in other, ideal conditions. 14 Days of Rain prior had caused this isolated 'Shroom outbreak.

Had I been looking another direction or messing around with some Trailer detail or refilling my Water Glass of Vodka back in The Hammered Daze, we'd be having a Pooch Funeral. It's just that binary. I also would not have been in any shape for the speedy 30 Minute drive down into Town for Hydrogen Peroxide were we out. Right when initial Minutes count to counteract Poisoning. See MesaPup the next Morning being extra-snuggly while we both shook it off.

As my BFF of ~5 Decades later observed, I didn't panic: I was in 'The Zone'. Very focused. Calm. Sober. ~1 Week on, The Who sum up last Friday. Thanks, Mags...

'Another Tricky Day' ~ The Who ~ Live

Old 08-19-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Truly a gift of sobriety -- the wherewithal to react quickly and save your precious pooch's life. So glad you were there to save him.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The title of this thread makes me think about my "bad days"

In reality, I had a bad moment or two. A minute or five. Not the entire day.
A whole day of bad is possible. It has happened. Not in a long time.
So, I was just thinking and thought I would chime in.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Mizz

MesaMan, phew, pleased all ended well with your quick thinking. Good to see MesaPup looking well.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm supposed to do strength training today. My muscles won't repair if I get *********. But I really want to drink. Just a little bit. But it's a bad idea.
Yes, freedomfries, bad idea for so many reasons. Stay with us.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good, quick thinking there MesaMan and good to read that MesaPup is doing well.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

MesaMan; your experience with MesaPup brought real tears. Thank Heavens for your quick thinking and action. MesaPup is a treasure to all of us (as are you).
Old 08-19-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well done, freedomfries; better the vodka down the toilet than your sobriety and your plans for college and a better life.