Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 20 - 23 August 2021

Notices

It’s okay! It’s just a bad day -Weekenders 20 - 23 August 2021

Old 08-25-2021, 12:12 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leigh, what a stunning pic!
Old 08-25-2021, 12:13 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Mags, hoping you and your hubby are ok. Thinking of you and sending prayers. I sure wish I could be there for you!
Old 08-25-2021, 12:38 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

How is Mr. Mags feeling today? How are you managing, Mags?
Old 08-25-2021, 01:09 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Lovely photos Al, Kaily and Leigh
Al that looks a gorgeous spot!
Lovely sunset Leigh. I used to enjoy sunsets on the west coast. Now on the east, it’s sunrises, but I’m not often on the beach that early
What a shame about the land Kaily. It’s so good to have green spaces near us, and sadly many are disappearing

Sai yes it was a bit choppy on the ocean yesterday. I’m glad I wasn’t out in a boat

I hope you’re all doing ok today
Old 08-25-2021, 01:26 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Yes, Willow, I agree. I forgot to mention some of the lovely other photos we got today. Al, your Irish coastline is beautiful. I have quite a lot of Irish in my ancestry. We did that ancestry thing and it was so interesting.
Thank you all for all of the lovely pics today. They are most appreciated, even if I didn't get everyone by name. They are great! So lucky to be able to see so many beautiful parts of the world. One of these days, I'll figure out how to upload from my phone, that I have to remember how to take a pic first! I'd love to put a picture of our Mountain here at dusk (or almost anytime) when it turns a kind of lovely pinkish color. It is called Mt. Diablo, but despite the name, I find it lovely and spiritual. When I had a horse that I could ride out, my friends and I used to take the most breathtaking, wild rides up there. She, my friend, said that when it was green parts of it reminded her of Ireland. She'd lived all over the world. She had Canadian Thoroughbreds. Those were some great times and great beauty. I miss being out with the wildlife on horseback with a friend or a few. We had so much fun on those rides. There is a jumping course up high on the mountain where it gets colder and breezy. The horses would get all worked up in the wind and go flying and bucking over the jumps. They get frisky in the cooler, windier weather. It was a blast. Then we'd come home and bathe them and feed them. It was a long day! Then I'd go watch football with my Dad on Sunday's.
Anyway, thanks for the great pictures all of you! Love to you all!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Aly, you paint such a wonderful picture of those rides up the mountain! It makes me want to come with you! And makes me nostalgic for my younger years too, of riding horses myself and of reading all those girl’s horse stories I used to love too ❤️ Have you heard of the Silver brumby series of books by Elyne Mitchell? They’re set in the Kosciuszko mountains in Australia. I adored them as a teen. They’re about a herd of wild horses living in the mountains. I think I’ll read them again ❤️
Old 08-25-2021, 02:06 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Awww, Willow, thank you. I was being nostalgic too. I do really miss that time. So grounding to be out in nature with the animals.
I don't think I did read those books, but maybe I will. I could use a good horse escape! I think I may have seen a movie with Kirk Douglas about the Brumbys and his daughter and a guy on the ranch who could tame some of the wild horses. Of course, I cannot remember the name of the movie, but I loved it. I may look around at the library for those books, Willow. You have my interest!
Old 08-25-2021, 02:36 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

The Man From Snowy River! Yes, I adored that movie ❤️
Based on Banjo Patterson’s poetry ❤️
Old 08-25-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Yes, that one. I loved it! The ones you mentioned sound wonderful too.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:56 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My kid sister had a horse when she was young. Mom got the horse for her cause mom had a horse growing up and wanted kid sis to have one too. She went to shows and things and loved it.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:19 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Horses are a lot of fun Also can be a lot of work and expensive though.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:24 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Amen. And you can get hurt, esp starting young horses and when you jump and do cross country. My list of injuries could match any football players. But I've been doing it my whole life and with horses most people would not get on. It takes a lot of time and patience too.
Alas, they are very, very expensive and their monthly upkeep, esp around where I live anymore, has gotten astronomical. I guess it was always worth it to me, the money and the injuries.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:25 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aly and Willow, great memories of horse riding days. Love to hear it. I helped out in a small racing stables many years ago. I used to muck out the stables and groom the horses and sometimes ride them.

Once we had Red Rum (who was a famous race horse back in the day) to stay overnight as he was opening in new shop in town.
I remember his groom saying he had to watch out for people cutting a piece of mane or tail hair!

Red Rum was a magnificent horse, a true gentleman too. He was so intelligent too. His ears perked up like he listened to every word you said.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:32 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Some of them are so smart.
That's a tough job, Mags! I rode young race horses many years ago through the cornfields on their exercise runs. Blisters like crazy, for me anyway. That was hard work, plus mucking and grooming. You get in good shape when you have, care for and ride horses. People often don't realize how much muscle and cardio you use doing the whole thing. Cross Training!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aly, yes you need to be fit, they could be a bit flighty. I wasn’t an experienced rider and having a bad fall once I decided to not gallop anymore but just go out on walks, which I loved through all the country roads.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:56 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders,

Sun's shining and a busy day ahead. All good. Childhood memories of pony riding abound - though I never got much beyond a brisk trot!

Best wishes. Forwards.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Forwards, enjoy your day
Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done for posting that pic Leigh, it was worth it, beautiful sunset.

Great memories, for some reason the image of Red Rum (or any horse for that matter) opening a shop made me laugh.

Best wishes to Mr Mags.

I hope you're doing well too Cityboy (not posted for a while)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:36 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Magsie

New thread Part 2

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...st-2021-a.html (It’s okay! It’s just a bad day . Part 2 -Weekenders 27 - 30 August 2021)