Notices

Trying for real this time

Old 09-02-2021, 09:29 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congrats on three weeks, pianoman. Keep it up.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Brilliant!!! 👍🏻
Old 09-03-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Brilliant!!! Well done and big congratulations!!!
Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 26 and it’s now the longest I’ve gone in my adult life without a drop of alcohol. Definitely something to celebrate on Labor Day here in the States!

I’ve been at the beach since Friday and we leave Wednesday and I’ve had no cravings despite my association between the beach and alcohol.

It’s been nice to make sober memories here and to play with my 3 year old niece without having to think about my next drink.

I appreciate all the support from this community!
Old 09-06-2021, 12:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianoman83 View Post
Day 26 and it’s now the longest I’ve gone in my adult life without a drop of alcohol. Definitely something to celebrate on Labor Day here in the States!

I’ve been at the beach since Friday and we leave Wednesday and I’ve had no cravings despite my association between the beach and alcohol.

It’s been nice to make sober memories here and to play with my 3 year old niece without having to think about my next drink.

I appreciate all the support from this community!
Awesome Opossum!
Old 09-06-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

26 days of sobriety is fantastic. Enjoy your time at the beach.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well done, Pianoman -- happy for you. Keep it going!
Old 09-10-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the continued support. Day 29 now and rapidly closing in on one month sober!

I’m really proud of that accomplishment but know it’s just the beginning.

I made it through my trip to the beach without any urges to drink, but I’ve also found some of the “pink cloud” exuberance that some experience in early sobriety (I know I did) wane just a tiny bit. It’s not problematic, but I do notice a few moments here and there when I feel a little dull and listless. I mentioned it to my therapist today and he just mentioned that it’s good to recognize those moments since they may turn into bigger challenges down the road. So I’m aware that those dull feelings could potentially lead to urges down the road and I’ve been developing a plan for if something like that struck me. I have to imagine those dull feelings aren’t incredibly uncommon in this stage of sobriety but I don’t really know.

Aside from that I feel great and am enjoying my almost one month of sobriety.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have only one word really.....

"Congratulations!"
Old 09-10-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, pianoman! So happy you are free.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:27 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats pianoman

D
Old 09-10-2021, 07:30 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Amazing job on this pianoman... great that you're discussing your thoughts with your therapist too.

There will undoubtedly be some dull days, bad days, great days when you want to celebrate.. but you have seen some benefits of sobriety already, and many more will accrue. You are just getting started my friend. If an urge strikes, as they can, out of the blue.. you know what is at stake now. Don't give in to it. Kick it to the curb. Worst case, put it off until tomorrow and you will be fine.

You are doing this pianoman. It's all you, my friend.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support. Just checking in here again.

I will reach 50 days sober later this week. Feeling good in general still and have been keeping up with my plan here in early sobriety.

The occasional “dull” days are still there, but I’ve also been pushing forward on projects and other goals that I had let sit idle during the last few years when my drinking got worse. So that’s been a welcomed change.

For those in even earlier sobriety than me, my sleeping has improved so much, I’ve lost some belly fat, my face looks better, I have more energy and I recover more quickly from working out, no hangovers obviously…lots to be thankful for beyond just being unbound to the habits of drinking.

Will continue to check in!
Old 09-28-2021, 04:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

50 days is great pianoman

D
Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Haven’t posted in a while but wanted to check in. I passed 100 days of sobriety over the weekend!

Staying sober has gotten a lot easier but I’ve had to work at it. I attend SMART meetings when I can and see my therapist weekly. My therapy sessions stopped touching on alcohol a while ago and we’ve mostly been dealing with the underlying stress, anxiety, and relationship issues that helped to feed my dependence through the years. So there’s been great progress there but it has required me to face some painful realities and consider other changes in my life (possibly ending a long term relationship with my girlfriend, moving, etc).

The health benefits of being sober for 100 days are generally great but I still get restless legs when trying to fall asleep—stretching before bed seems to really help that. And I thought some aches and pains would get better when I quit drinking but they’re still there after exercising during sobriety—I guess that’s just the reality of being 35 and not 25!

So things are good here although the clarity of sobriety can be discomforting at times. That’s part of being human. And I’ve learned that it’s not a debate about whether the grass is greener on the other side of the fence—maybe it’s that there’s a blank patch of land that you get to seed and grow and build from scratch and being free from alcohol is the only way to nurture that.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:05 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news that you passed 100 days. I think you have a great attitude. I spent a bit of time (early on) feeling resentful - and that's definitely not the way to go.
Things will continue to get better, pianoman. Be proud.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:07 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Well-done on 100 days Pianoman. What an accomplishment. You are SO wise to get this thing figured out at such a young age.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Well done Pianoman. Yes, that clarity is ... "bracing" at first. I've heard it described as "stark raving sober". But it sounds like you're getting some good support and making progress with important, but painful truths. Very well done, and it does get easier with time.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a 100 Pianoman

D
Old 02-16-2022, 03:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Just a quick update post here. This past Sunday I hit 6 months sober. For those that are struggling now, it does get easier. From detox in the hospital, to a tough first month, through gradual improvement, to now--almost everything in my life slowly got better. If you're considering quitting drinking I can add my voice to the chorus of people telling you that you can get through it and life is much better as a sober person.