Notices

Trying for real this time

Old 08-19-2021, 02:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was so exhausted those first few weeks, but I couldn't get good quality sleep either for a while. It's common.
I hope the meeting Tuesday goes great - let us know.
7 days - how wonderful.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 8. Doing well although I still have trouble falling asleep before 2 am. Hopefully that trend doesn't last for too much longer.

Having very productive days at work even if I'm a little groggy from the lack of sleep and the meds, but it helps to be busy and distracted.

I finally have an appointment with my PCP next Friday so that's good. I'm slightly nervous about it, though. When I was admitted to the hospital I was still intoxicated but also withdrawing at the same time. All of my liver labs were in the normal range, but my AST was a bit higher than my ALT and that has me concerned about long term damage. My sister-in-law is a doctor and she says that the AST could just have been high at the time because of my intoxication, but I guess we'll find out when I see the doctor next week.

Other than those nerves, feeling good and happy to be another day into this sober journey!
Old 08-20-2021, 05:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your Day 8, pianoman. You sound happy to be getting free.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your sleep pattern will revert to a new normal soon pianoman. Try not to worry too much about your health.
Most of us got better results than we feared we might.

If there is a problem it's best to find out early - if there no problem it will be a weight off your mind.

D
Old 08-21-2021, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 9 and feeling even more clear today! Slept better and feel more like myself. Driving has caused me anxiety for the last year or so (probably because of alcohol induced anxiety in the morning--I never would drive after having drinks), but I was able to drive into town today without incident or without a panic attack which was a huge milestone for me. Picked up a bunch of fruits and veggies from the grocery store.

Going to restart my exercise regime this afternoon which I imagine will help even more.

Feeling good and appreciative for this forum.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days! You’re doing great.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 10! Not many new updates. Everything is still going well. I have always been into fitness so I started my workout regime back up again yesterday. About to go for a jog and a lift now.

Sleeping is still a little rough but so it goes.

Ready for a full week of work tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 12 now and still well. Attended my first SMART Recovery virtual meeting today which was interesting and helpful. A small group, but very supportive and I plan to continue to attend those meetings.

Sleeping is gradually improving bit by bit. Other than that, feeling pretty good other than some slight nerves about my appointment with my PCP on Friday.

Thankful for this forum.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad the meeting was a success, pianoman. I think a small group is best.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Fantastic progress pianoman. You're taking all the right steps to build a solid foundation.

Glad to see you checking in regularly too. Really great job!
Old 08-25-2021, 07:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great work pianoman! Keep it up!
Old 08-25-2021, 05:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well done, pianoman! keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 15 now. Had my PCP follow up after my hospital stay and got a clean bill of health! He thought my plan to stay sober was really solid so that was a nice affirmation.

About to go in for my second session of counseling for anxiety/alcohol use. I think the combination of this forum, counseling, and SMART recovery is the right strategy for me so I’m going to keep that going as long as necessary.

Appreciate all the support here!
Old 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awesome, pianoman. If you feel strongly that you are on the right track, I think it means that you probably are. And as the saying goes, that is nice to know.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 17 and still feeling good! Yesterday was a big test for me. My girlfriend and I went to an outdoor party of 8-10 people. All of the other attendees drank nonstop from noon until after midnight. I had cranberry juice with seltzer water in a solo cup. No cravings and no one knew I wasn’t drinking. Felt great to get through an environment like that and not have any issues—even if I was slightly less social than normal.

I know those types of scenarios might be more challenging when I’m further along in my sobriety but it was good to build that solid base with event #1 post-detox.

All is well. And long term sobriety feels very possible.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We grow stronger every time we rise above the cravings. I'm glad you proved to yourself you didn't need alcohol to have an enjoyable time. Congrats on your Day 17 of sobriety.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

3 full weeks now without a drink and feeling good still. I’ve been keeping up with SMART Recovery meetings and have my third therapy appointment tomorrow. Just trying to continue to build a solid foundation for sobriety.

I’ve had a year or two in my adult life where I only drank one or two beers every couple days (this was maybe 13 years ago now), but come Monday it will be the longest continuous stretch of my life without a drop of alcohol since I was 19. That will be a big milestone for me.

I’m heading to the beach with my family tomorrow for four days and I always have associated sitting on the beach with drinking. I’m looking forward to experiencing it sober.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

3 wks. is wonderful, pianoman.
Have a great time at the beach. I'll admit it felt a little strange when I first quit & went on vaca - but I quickly grew to love the freedom of being sober. No hangovers or regrets. You'll be clear headed & will make some memories.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Fantastic work, Pianoman. You really grabbed the bull by the horns and wrestled it to the ground. Soon you will have a month. You have done an excellent job of doing the work necessary to make the changes you needed. Really impressive, friend. Enjoy your time at the beach - you earned it.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Pianoman
I hope your beach break is a good sober one - but maybe a few 'emergency - break glass' plans couldn't hurt?

D