Notices

You can't quit for other people

Old 08-15-2021, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You can't quit for other people

No matter how much you love them.

My sober streaks over the years were for my parents. But I still let alcohol have a pull over me and inevitably I'd relapse.

But this morning I'm suddenly imagining a future for myself that didn't involve alcohol. Before, I'd picture being a year sober and having people being proud of me. Now I picture myself a year sober with a degree and a job I like and good mental health. And other people not being pissed off is a bonus.

You have to want to be sober for yourself as well as other people
Old 08-15-2021, 03:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well said, FF. I drank for years after I realized it wasn't really working anymore but I didn't feel "ready" to stop. Eventually, like you, I reached a point where I really wanted to be sober more than I craved being drunk. I hope this is the moment for you!
Old 08-15-2021, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the truth, FF.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is one of the reasons I am on my longest sober streak yet and don't ever imagine life without alcohol.

- I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink (something I learned here and carry with me everyday)

- I felt done. Over it. For me. It wasn't after a bad episode. Or a binge. I wasn't hungover this time when I quit. I just was fine.

- this was my decision. I own it. Therefore, I don't feel like I'm missing out on the fun. I'm not resentful. If I want to drink, I'll drink. But I don't. It's a lifestyle change.

- never, ever give into the moderation trick. It's simply not possible once you cross the line. Read Alcohol Explained by William Porter.

- fading affect bias. This got me many times. Google it.