Notices

The damage doesn't end when the hangover does

Old 08-15-2021, 09:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am sending you all the support I can from my corner of the world, AO!

With each passing day we are raising our life condition and doing the next best thing. What is in front of us and building on what is to come. That is really how I am looking at this life. Today and this moment and building. I think you are doing that as well.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi AO. I find the thing about not getting out alive oddly comforting. Nothing is being held against any of us.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You don’t have any reason to feel that way. For the longest time I found hangover and withdrawals horrific — we’re talking existential dread. I’d white-knuckle my work day and go straight to the bar after work. During these months and years my brain wasn’t wired to preventing long-term consequences, it was wired toward relieving those immediately. That’s textbook addiction,

Now it’s very clear to me that every hangover, withdrawal or feelings of dread were a natural response to my body processing and expelling **poison.** I was seeking more of poison for relief from the poison.

The good news is a lot of this damage is reversible, before cirrhosis takes hold, the liver can fully recover even from very heavy long-term. You can find healing in sobriety when your body is freed from being under constant stress. But it’s important to see a doctor, to be one hundred percent honest, and to ask for work-ups and baselines to address any problems immediately.