Notices

My Supervisor Died

Old 08-11-2021, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Supervisor Died

He gave me a shot at a job I didn’t even apply for. I originally applied to be a substance abuse counselor and during the interview he said I would be a great fit for a job where I reached out to the community. Would have never applied for the job because I didn’t think I could do it. But he saw something in me I didn’t see.

He was an incredibly kind, enthusiastic, loving man. He brought so much energy to where I work and was such an inspiration. He saw the best in everyone and worked tirelessly to help those who sought recovery.

Although, I only had the pleasure of working with him for a little over a month, he touched my heart.

I was devastated to learn he died of an accidental overdose. And I feel cheated, as selfish as that sounds, to be robbed of the opportunity to work with him. I am outraged and filled with overwhelming sadness that this disease claimed another beautiful soul.

I am angry at drugs because I can’t be angry at him. I’m angry at how much substance abuse has robbed from people, our communities, our lives.

I am sad. Crying over a man I barely got to know. I feel like I have no right to be this upset with the short amount of time I got to know him. But, here I am, heartbroken again over this disease.

Please, if you are struggling, remember there is at least one person you have impacted in your life. However brief your contact may have been. You are worth sobriety, you are worth love, and you deserve recovery. Don’t let this disease claim any more beautiful souls.

You are worth it all.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss and I think any feelings you're feeling are valid. Addiction takes some good people.

D
Old 08-12-2021, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sad for your loss, it sounds as if you made a connection with this man and he with you. Hang on to the fact he saw something in you that you hadn't seen, something that could reach out to other people. A valuable gift that not everyone has. I think your grief is understandable - you are mourning for a friend.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss newhope
Old 08-12-2021, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss. You have every right to feel all the things you are feeling. Allow yourself some time to grieve.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

I am so sorry for your loss, that is devastating 😢.
a few weeks ago I found out my co-worker died and she was my manager for about 5 years and we were very close.
I feel the burn. Hang in there.
​Reach out if you feel like talking.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a sad blow. Take care of yourself and your grief. Honor him by working to stay sober today.