Notices

Wondering if anyone has been able to moderate

Old 08-10-2021, 08:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
under new management

you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

I am a pickle.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have never been able to moderate, in truth it flies in the face of everything I believe when I take that first drink. What would be the point when what I really want is to drink, then to drink, then to drink some more, until I pass out that is.

Sobriety is a far easier option believe me 🙂

Love Billy x
Old 08-11-2021, 01:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

They wouldn’t be on a site called Sober Recovery if they could I imagine 🙏
Old 08-11-2021, 03:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Look up LessGravity’s post on Guide to Moderation. Go under Search, Thread, enter the words Guide to Moderation
Old 08-11-2021, 03:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Here you go Free:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...oderation.html (My guide to moderation)
Old 08-11-2021, 03:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Look up LessGravity’s post on Guide to Moderation. Go under Search, Thread, enter the words Guide to Moderation
That was a great thread.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

CPath, my fellow Raytown friend, thanks! I need to learn how to do that! Not moderate, but copy and post a thread link like that. ❤️
Old 08-11-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
But it is a massive amount of work to control it. I still get the cravings, you see, I just have a massive amount of self-control.

And even that "moderate" quantity inevitably results in messed up sleep and nightime anxiety, shame, bingeing on crap food, fatigue and irritability, laziness and constant thoughts of what time I can have my first one the next day.

When we are still in the addiction - no matter the amount, even if we are seemingly managing it - in reality the addiction is managing us. The addiction is fully in control. And while it is in control, there can be no growth in other areas.

I choose sobriety instead of that nightmare now.
This is so spot on! I've spent 30+ years of my life trying to control my drinking, with so many strategies and mental games, so that I could continue drinking and still fill my roles of husband, father, employee, etc. I never hit a significant rock bottom, but my addiction ensured that I stayed near the bottom.

Moderation never truly worked for me, as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I quit smoking and drinking at the same time over two years ago. I had quitted both so many times before.
Ten or eleven months into sobriety I had the great idea to have one cigarette. Only one of course and it worked! For a few weeks. Since it had worked (apparently I had learned from the many failed attempts before that one) I lit another cigarette for another special occasion (involving me hiding in some car park). It worked again! So I decided to smoke again a week or so later. And the week after that. It was going so well, that I started smoking only one every day, then 5, 10, etc.

This time I did not let it go for too long and quit again and I really really hope I don't ever light one cigarette again. It is hell to quit every time. My ability to moderate drinking is exactly the same as my ability to moderate my smoking
Old 08-11-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

No. I absolutely, unequivocally, beyond the shadow of a remote doubt , CAN N O T moderate with alcohol
And I believe me I tried for 30 years. Infact, I tried harder at that than any other single thing in my whole life. It's the thing I wanted almost more that anything.
Imagine that....

But I can with nicotine and marijuana. Neither of which give me that uncontrollable pull that alcohol does.
I can take or leave both of them, without issue at all. Smoking for me was only when I drank, and now that I dont drink I dont smoke.
Same with pot. It only served to keep in marginally numb a bit longer while drinking.

But booze ? Yikes. One single sip, and my brain goes literally off the rails.

And I dont want to have to fight that hard to remain in control. It's too hard and I fail every time. Thousands of times over the years.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Why would I want to?
Sounds like torture

I've drank mine and around 100 others quota of alcohol in my life.
That's enough.
I'm done with it.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It did not work for me. A complete quit is far easier.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
It did not work for me. A complete quit is far easier.
Surprisingly so.

Now before any recent quitters think “you smug ****!”, my withdrawal was as grim as anyone’s, but in retrospect the cravings lessened quite quickly. Trying to moderate every few weeks just brings the cravings back with interest added.

I keep repeating myself about an acquaintance who’s an alcoholic who moderates. He usually sticks to the U.K. healthy weekly limit, but his mind is messed up every evening and even more so when his weekly stash has finished. It’s pitiful to watch. No life at all. So compared to that, I can say my total quit was easier.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic in a state of denial for many years, I thought at the time that I was moderating.

In reality, I wasn't. My body made me aware of this fact when I hit my 50's.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

No, never its all or nothing
Old 08-11-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I could never do it, it tried a few times but quickly learned that i couldn't and didn't really want to moderate. I would never just have two beers if i was going out eating and had to drive, i would have soft drinks as i drank for the feeling and sure as hell didn't want to stop at two!

I have known a lot of heavy drinkers who have moderated successfully for decades but i am never going to be one of them.

I couldn't have 5 cigarettes a day when I smoked either, I could force myself to not smoke for a few hours if I was doing something that required it but would then smoke like a chimney for the rest of the day. I can't just have one biscuit either!!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

I am a pickle.
No you're not!

Kidding i get the metaphor, always cracks me up
Old 08-11-2021, 02:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I could moderate for a while. Maybe 3 weeks, maybe 6 weeks... Eventually, sooner than later, I'd end up right where I left off.

I had a friend's wife recently ask me, "why don't you have just one or two?" I replied without even thinking about the question or my answer, "what's the point in having one or two?"

If I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink like I mean it. One or two would never be enough to satisfy.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Moderation hasn’t worked for me yet. Sure I can “moderate” for a little while which requires alot of work but eventually I always end up back in the same place I never want to be again.
Old 08-11-2021, 05:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's a simple as this - those who need to moderate can't and those who can moderate don't need to.