Notices

What are you go-to ways to "let go" without booze?

Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you go-to ways to "let go" without booze?

I'm sure many of us used to drink to let go of mental stressors, the incessant overthinking that we have in our minds.

Besides booze which is an absolutely terrible option, what are some of the best ways you get a natural release from that overthinking/stressing?
Old 08-06-2021, 09:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me it’s binge watching shows on tv like I’m doing tonight. With a Dr.Pepper. Much better than sitting here drinking alcohol. Exercise is my morning routine before work as well. Find healthy habits because it makes you feel like not messing up your workouts with booze during the day.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exercise is a good one for me…or lately weeding the garden.
Playing mystic is great too

D
Old 08-06-2021, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We can always challenge our mental stressors as to their worth....
Positive acronyms may also help....
Old 08-07-2021, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Running is a good way for me to stop overthinking but I cant run all the time. Overthinking has been one thing that I work on daily.
Baths. Tea. Focusing elsewhere. I chant. Read. Distractions like housework and yard work. Watching a series. Its a work in progress with me and my brain.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In early sobriety, I swore by a heating pad. I was really generous with myself when it came to eating whatever and whenever I wanted. I also journaled (opened a blank Word doc and typed until I uncovered my source of stress, and then deleted it, haha). Reading too - I went back a few years with NYT book reviews and then checked out a million ebooks.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There isn't one that is comparable to the effect of alcohol. It took me a while to get my head around that one. You will feel better if you keep a healthy weight, eat well, exercise, sleep well, get a hobby, read, music, films etc.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely exercise. Spending time with my granddaughter. Reading. Watching sports or shows on tv.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would be exercise/walking in nature.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That spinny, busy brain thing naturally eases off with sober time.

All the above suggestions are really good too. I find I need to catch it (the ruminations/overthinking) right away and not let it spiral down.

There is a great thread in the Anxiety subforum in the stickied threads at the top called, (Emotional Memory Management)"Emotional Memory Management"

Old 08-07-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I started to respond last night but literally fell asleep while typing. lol...

Basically, sobering up for the last 6 years has been a slow ride out of insanity.

If cleaning up was easy, nobody would do it.

My brain was permanently damaged by my years of booze abuse.

I didn't heal, I got used to what was left. My brain rewired. If I relapse, what is left might not be able to rewire. I will go back to insane and maybe not make it out.

F that!

I work out as much as my body can take. I am a nice person almost all of the time. I constantly do little acts of kindness, without a care for reward. This lifestyle gives me a natural high that is better than any intoxication I ever felt from booze.

I will crave for life. Any decision to drink is a relapse.

Hope this helps you or anyone crawl out of the hell hole of being an active addict.

Love love love.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You’re one of my SR all-stars D122y. I can often relate. And because of that I get hope and ideas on how to improve my sobriety frequently.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

I get a charge now from making simple gestures of noticing or gratitude. Complimenting people at checkout counters on their haircuts or just their expertise at bagging. Making someone smile. It's silly but it soothes the negative babble in my head and does no harm.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise. I like to jog slow or fast. Also, I drink a Sprite Zero lemon or a lot of water. I set goals and mark them down on my phone calendar. I call a friend. I realize that what ever stress will flow by me. I remind myself that I can only control what I can, so I don’t need to put anymore pressure on myself. One can’t solve all the problems in that moment. Everything takes some time and that’s just fine.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cooking is my go-to. Braising, smoking, grilling — and I love cooking with cast iron. The hobby is so immersive and fulfilling for me, you never stop growing and learning, and I get to share the results with family and friends.

You’ll find a multitude of answers on this one. Medication and careful breathing is another good one. Yard work. Exercise. The trick, I suppose, is to do something that brings you joy .
Old 08-07-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love walking my little beagirl. No matter how stressed I am, I always feel better during and after our walks. I walk a lot anyway, but most enjoy my walks with Billie.

And, like Courage, I depend heavily on gratitude. Being grateful has changed my life for the better. Also, showing kindness and thanks to those I encounter makes me feel so good.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Binge watching Netflix etc, long walks and bike rides, finding new recipes to cook, reading, baths, and my newest thing is yoga - I'm terrible at it and am yet to find a begginers YouTube video I can complete 😂
But I'm trying.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Walking

For me, it has been walking. Before COVID I used to walk on the gym track. Now, I am outdoors at the park. I try to do 4 miles a day. Sometimes I don't make it but I try. I listen to podcasts, there are plenty to choose from. Or just walk and think. It helps, and it develops a pattern of exercise. Best wishes on your recovery.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good snacks, good coffee, meditation, sleep, building a life I don't need to escape from.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yard work, splitting wood, fishing,