Notices

Sorry but

Old 08-03-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Overforty - It took me a while to appreciate my new freedom from alcohol. I was bored & restless too in the beginning. Being bored wasn't life threatening, though - and I was safe from the chaos & reckless life I'd been leading. Eventually I grew to cherish the lack of 'excitement' - and learned to treasure my new life. The fake fun that drinking seemed to generate was not real. The drunk me was a fool who wasn't living a genuine life. I hope to never see her again.
Don't give up.
THIS.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I urge you to rethink "boredom", or at least consider that it might be something else you are feeling. I think us addicts are so unaccustomed to peace, calm and quiet, that we often mistake those early benefits of sobriety as "boredom." We have simply lost our ability to sit quietly and let sitting quietly be our task for a few hours. Huge restorative benefits in unscheduled time. But if it is characterized as "boredom", that stress level starts to come back up - our AV at its most cunning.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It gets better

You are building a new life.

Give it time
Old 08-03-2021, 08:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I relapsed and drank a few months ago because I was "bored" too. It led to nothing but shaking, puking, guilt, depression, and a hospitalization. Those drinking days weren't "boring", but they were miserable. They were interesting for the wrong reasons. The 54 days of sobriety have been much, much better. I won't fall into the "boredom" trap again.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I know you are talking about the dead air of early recovery but boring is awesome in my world. I love nothing better than no drama.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I do get it overforty - I don't know where you live but I see you are in the UK - as am I - even if its not your thing try free museum's or galleries - cheap mornings at the cinema - get on a bus or train and go somewhere new, have a wander round buy a coffee and come home again. I am not a group person either but I do know that sometimes being with other people is good for you, even if it's an effort. If you cant face meeting people in person, join forums, on line groups that do stuff you like, feeling involved and part of something really does help - the boredom - it will pass - if you keep drinking NOTHING will get better - keep trying you are doing well.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found that living sober gave me energy and ambition - I didn't have either when I was drinking. I now tackle tasks that I was too drunk or sick or lazy to do. And as for being bored, I appreciate the peace and quiet of sobriety. As was said, I like having no drama in my life.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
ZIP

Shake things up, Amigo!
One of the biggest steps in the sobriety hike is Effort--you have to break not only the booze but the connected habit.
I look at it this way: If someone sits on the sofa every evening with a bourbon bottle and decides to quit drinking...roll off the couch, too! Toss the bad habits and start fresh. As another friend here said, take a college course, or volunteer, or get a part time job. It'll help keep you sober and likely get you some new friends.
Best of luck--stay dry!
Old 08-03-2021, 10:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That’s how you feel now. Not surprising. I actually got addicted to some really risky and toxic experiences drying my active drinking so my life is undoubtedly less exciting now. But I mean jail is only exciting the first 5 or 10 times.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You need to fill the time you have with activities that are good and healthy for you. This can take some time but it does happen with time sober. Open your mind, re-kindle activities you used to enjoy and dive in.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks again for taking the time to reply
So much good advice and wise words.
I've been here a few times before and worry that I'm just at the point now where people are just sick of my complaints.
A big reason why I've pushed most people out of my life.
More than anything I wish I could be one of those half glass full positive people - but unfortunately I was genetically gifted with negativity and alcoholism.
Not that I blame my parents - I did this to myself!
I've turned myself into an unagreeable curmudgeon
It's getting worse with age too - at least I was fun when I was younger
Actually who am I kidding I wasn't 'fun' I was drunk or stoned 🙄
I feel pretty rough today I'm light headed and tired - but not hungover which is the main thing.
I know it will get better - I'm just concentrating on not drinking today

Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey man. There’s a few sayings I keep in my head.

”The only way out is through time and suffering”

Well, you’re suffering, and it’s going to take time to escape these thoughts and feelings. You need a complete reprogramming. What are you doing to achieve sobriety and make changes?

“Everything you want is on the other side of hard”

I got lazy in life. I thought I was who I was. You think you’re negative and and alcoholic. What if you’re more than that? What if you’ve become complacent? Sobriety, for me and countless others, is only partly about removing alcohol. It’s about growth. You can stay who you are, do the same things, think the same way and you’ll end up with the same
results. But if you make changes, you are guaranteed different results.

I do it with AA, medicine, exercise, and SR. To what lengths are you willing to go to become the best version of yourself?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

https://youtu.be/LWGxYlQudOA
Cat Stevens
Old 08-04-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think we can tell ourselves a lot of things and those things we tell ourselves can become our reality.

Changing the way we think is hard work but it is worth the hard to achieve a different result. Different and positive results will achieve lasting sobriety but more importantly it will help us to have a different perspective on the lives we live.

No one is genetically gifted with negativity. We are not born to see the world in this way. Reframe and retrain.

Choices. We have choices. Every decision I make is going to set me up to win or to be defeated. Every thought. Every action.
You can be the light! I believe in you!