Notices

Two months and I'm a mess.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thinking of you AO you are an amazing person and I know you can do it. It does feels so odd that from day to day we can feel so different in early recovery - that emotions like panic -just appear from nowhere and then vanish - but I believe that we can learn and change and conquer our difficulties and challenges.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Well done, AO. The path is indeed very rocky in early days. When I was still drinking (or not committed to Not Drinking), I heard and agreed with people who said that getting sober was the hardest thing they'd ever done. But wow, right? It is so hard. It's sort of like knowing in advance that childbirth is difficult. Or a kidney stone can be the worst pain ever. We think we're prepared, but then when reality hits - ouch! Why didn't you tell me it was going to be so hard?

Two things people told me that were really really helpful somewhere within the first 6-9 months:
- You are in recovery. Be kind to yourself. -a sponsor
-
After your body goes through chemical detox, you then need to go through emotional detox. - Grymt

Patience
Perseverance
Faith

Don't ever forget that it gets better.
I promise you that it does. But I also promise you the road isn't likely to completely level out. That's life for ya.

O

Old 08-04-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are a little better AO

D
Old 08-04-2021, 06:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Well done, AO. The path is indeed very rocky in early days. When I was still drinking (or not committed to Not Drinking), I heard and agreed with people who said that getting sober was the hardest thing they'd ever done. But wow, right? It is so hard. It's sort of like knowing in advance that childbirth is difficult. Or a kidney stone can be the worst pain ever. We think we're prepared, but then when reality hits - ouch! Why didn't you tell me it was going to be so hard?

Two things people told me that were really really helpful somewhere within the first 6-9 months:
- You are in recovery. Be kind to yourself. -a sponsor
-
After your body goes through chemical detox, you then need to go through emotional detox. - Grymt

Patience
Perseverance
Faith

Don't ever forget that it gets better.
I promise you that it does. But I also promise you the road isn't likely to completely level out. That's life for ya.

O
OOOOOOOOOOOO

The darn pink cloud has faded to black.
Some moments when it gets realllllly bad, I’m scared I won’t make it out of this.

But then I try to remember the words of those here that remind me, THIS is not as good as it will get.

I really want this , but man, is it tough. I don’t even want to drink, I just want the extreme uncomfortableness to lift for a bit.

It’s getting harder not easier.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Magsie

alphaomega. It does get better. Putting it down on paper or here helps I think. I know it helped me with anxieties. They were through the roof.
Be good to yourself. Treat yourself kindly and gently. Sending lots of love and hugs over the pond love xx xxxx
Old 08-04-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I like the words “alcohell”

Will remember this ❤️
Old 08-05-2021, 01:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds rough, AO. Are you doing anything new to occupy your mind? Withdrawal is awful, no two ways about it, but if you can do something else, it distracts from the withdrawals.

I’ve said this before but never seen it written elsewhere - I don’t think it’s possible to quit alcohol in isolation. Other things have to change. I’m not saying you sit in front of a TV for hours, but I’ll use that as an example. If someone stares at a TV every night with 10 beers, it’s unlikely they’ll quit drinking if the TV stays on. The body will be screaming out for 10 beers. If they do something else, they’ll be distracted from needing 10 beers. A few weeks or months will pass, and that urge will start to fade.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Sounds rough, AO. Are you doing anything new to occupy your mind? Withdrawal is awful, no two ways about it, but if you can do something else, it distracts from the withdrawals.

I’ve said this before but never seen it written elsewhere - I don’t think it’s possible to quit alcohol in isolation. Other things have to change. I’m not saying you sit in front of a TV for hours, but I’ll use that as an example. If someone stares at a TV every night with 10 beers, it’s unlikely they’ll quit drinking if the TV stays on. The body will be screaming out for 10 beers. If they do something else, they’ll be distracted from needing 10 beers. A few weeks or months will pass, and that urge will start to fade.
I am working out again - just walking but atleast moving, reading everything I can on quit lit sobriety, and joined Tempest although I'm not really doing any group related things like Zoom meetings, etc.

I have all I can do right now to get to tend to the animals, go to the office and come home and collapse.

I have no desire to drink at all, I just wanna few days where I wake up bright eyed and full of vim and vigor just so I know I can continue to claw my way out of this.

Things were wonderful, until they werent. My brain and body are revolting from a literal lifetime (FAS spectrum, coupled with early childhood binge drinking).

Chop, carry, chop, carry,
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

AO I have yet to wake up feeling full of vim and vigour - I have yet to wake up feeling refreshed and I am on day 70 something - it does suck - but I believe people here when they say it gets better -chopping wood and carrying it right along side you. It can be done, it will be done -
Are you eating well and taking any vitamin supplements?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
OOOOOOOOOOOO

The darn pink cloud has faded to black.
Some moments when it gets realllllly bad, I’m scared I won’t make it out of this.

But then I try to remember the words of those here that remind me, THIS is not as good as it will get.

I really want this , but man, is it tough. I don’t even want to drink, I just want the extreme uncomfortableness to lift for a bit.

It’s getting harder not easier.
From my first post
I feel as if I am in some horror movie and suddenly the movie is paused at the point that the killer has the axe in the air over my head. One drink and the movie resumes and it will be too late. I am over 5 weeks in and experiencing changes. I am terrified to fail. I don't know if I am being granted a second chance or just a chance to get my affairs in order before this things takes me down for good.
There is such a thing as second chances but you have to go now. That fear is telling you that you are in deep trouble. It doesn't have to end with you dying from this. No one can make you drink, even you. Honestly, after all this time I don't even identify as an alcoholic. Alcohol just isn't a thing in my world. I can't come up with a reason I ever thought that getting drunk was fun. All of it; the cravings, the shame, the self loathing, the pain falls away given enough time.

You are going to be just fine. You are going to do what you have to do and you are going to escape.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Quit lit, alcohell ... nothing wrong with your creative writing skills, AO 🙂

What I meant was a new activity totally unconnected with alcohol or quitting. The walking is a good start, though 👍
Old 08-05-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi alpaomega
I'm only on day 9 so I don't have a lot of advice to give.
But I wanted to congratulate you on 2 months sobriety- it's fab.
I'm not sure how long you drank for or how much you drank - but as other wiser folk have said it will only get better the longer you don't drink.
You mentioned not waking up full of life yet but not craving alcohol.
I can relate to this with my few attempts over the years to abstain.
The danger zone for me was when I did start to feel better mentally and physically was when I started craving alcohol again.
Fast forward a few years and here I am again.
I'm not in a hurry this time, every day we don't drink is an achievement- and hopefully all the other stuff will fall into place when we feel that we can make a plan.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
Hi alpaomega
I'm only on day 9 so I don't have a lot of advice to give.
But I wanted to congratulate you on 2 months sobriety- it's fab.
I'm not sure how long you drank for or how much you drank - but as other wiser folk have said it will only get better the longer you don't drink.
You mentioned not waking up full of life yet but not craving alcohol.
I can relate to this with my few attempts over the years to abstain.
The danger zone for me was when I did start to feel better mentally and physically was when I started craving alcohol again.
Fast forward a few years and here I am again.
I'm not in a hurry this time, every day we don't drink is an achievement- and hopefully all the other stuff will fall into place when we feel that we can make a plan.
I found that to be true. It was like working on a puzzle but I didn't have the picture on the box to guide me. It was keep my head down and work whatever was in front of me. I couldn't see where it was all going until I had completely finished.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
AO I have yet to wake up feeling full of vim and vigour - I have yet to wake up feeling refreshed and I am on day 70 something - it does suck - but I believe people here when they say it gets better -chopping wood and carrying it right along side you. It can be done, it will be done -
Are you eating well and taking any vitamin supplements?
(((((((DUSTY)))))
I am about 80/20 on the eating thing - I eat pretty healthy for the most part - lots of fruits and veg - cant handle meat at all right now - and ice cream is a non-negotiable every night - its just perks me up and gives me joy. I love the dairy farmers right now lololol
Yes to supplements - D B C MAG most often.
I'm thinking about researching some of the GABA and DOPAMINE options.

I was thinking this was going to be a breeze, but no way Jose'. Its way harder than I remember. Not because I'm I'm white knuckling or jonseing with cravings, just wanna feel optimal.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
From my first post

There is such a thing as second chances but you have to go now. That fear is telling you that you are in deep trouble. It doesn't have to end with you dying from this. No one can make you drink, even you. Honestly, after all this time I don't even identify as an alcoholic. Alcohol just isn't a thing in my world. I can't come up with a reason I ever thought that getting drunk was fun. All of it; the cravings, the shame, the self loathing, the pain falls away given enough time.

You are going to be just fine. You are going to do what you have to do and you are going to escape.
I have never hoped I am more wrong but i dunno buddy. I just dont know right now. I often question if its just too damn late for me...
Old 08-05-2021, 10:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I have never hoped I am more wrong but i dunno buddy. I just dont know right now. I often question if its just too damn late for me...
We're not that old.
If I told you I came from 5 years in the future and said you hadn't drank how would you feel?
Old 08-05-2021, 10:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

AO, it's never too late.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It is not too late - as Anna said it is NEVER too late -
AO I am so sorry you feel down. Have you investigated 5HTP - it's a supplement that boots serotonin levels. - I have just started taking it so can't yet vouch for it. Have you been checked over for any other issues, like iron deficiency, thyroid, etc. Keep going you can do it!
Old 08-05-2021, 09:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nope - its never too late.
Don't give any oxygen to defeatism.

Have patience and a little faith in us who've been there - this is not the best you will feel.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:04 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

When I quit I thought I would have a few rough weeks and then those rough weeks would fade away into a meadow of Wildflowers. I would be twirling and dancing all around. That one song would be playing from that one movie that I cant remember the name of?

The reality: I did not get the meadow and the hills were not alive with the sound of music! Is the movie called The Sound of Music?

I digress. What I did find was a lot of ups and downs and a lot of really intense feelings and thoughts. Energy was zapped. I was just a walking mess. I put my head down and focused. One task after the other. Some nights I went to bed right after work. Some days felt like I was going to explode. Not in an angry way explode. More like a balloon filled with too much water explode. Some days felt okay-ish...... I had a lot of mediocre days, bad days, confusing days. I was questioning whether or not I could or would recover from the weirdness and up and downs confusion. I was at an all time "WHAT THE ****?" mode.

Month 3 gave me relief. I know Ive said this before and I dont mean to repeat myself. Month 3 was a turning point. A door opened. The lights came on. I was in the beginnings of breaking up with my friend Anxiety. In the beginnings of kicking out my friend defeat. I started to see that I was recovering. Actually recovering. Anxiety comes knocking now and for the most part I can tell it to **** off. Sometimes I cant. Its okay. Its a work in progress. Defeat has not come back to my world. I wont allow it anywhere near me. YOU WILL WIN!

When I pull into the parking lot at my work I sing this song:

This little light of mine
I'm going to let it shine,
This little light of mine,
I'm going to let it shine

Keep on moving forward. Chop wood and carry water. You are amazing, AO. You got this.