Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Voices are back. Not sure how I'm going to stay sober dealing with this

Notices

Voices are back. Not sure how I'm going to stay sober dealing with this

Old 08-02-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I lived in Cleveland there was a dual-diagnosis A.A. meeting that I believe included people who heard voices. Now that so many meetings have moved online, perhaps you can find at least one that's dedicated to this issue. Connecting with others who are staying sober while walking through what you're walking through could help.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by novips View Post
When I lived in Cleveland there was a dual-diagnosis A.A. meeting that I believe included people who heard voices. Now that so many meetings have moved online, perhaps you can find at least one that's dedicated to this issue. Connecting with others who are staying sober while walking through what you're walking through could help.
I just googled voices support group and there's some who meet in Dublin and a zoom group for Ireland. I might check out Sunday's meeting.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a really good idea, FF.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've heard the same thing that you've heard. i heard the voices when i was taking a shover, . my sister always said some nasty thinks. I think that you can do this. i think you can do it. i'm up for a pms. if you need some help.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hold on freedomfries. You have come this far. You are remarkable and we care about you very much.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Freedom there's not much more I can say that others already haven't, but I wanted to throw in that you sound so much better in this thread than you have previously. I know you're still struggling and I'm sorry it's been so hard for you. But you sound like you're thinking about things rationally and logically and that's really great. Hang in there - things can still get better.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

From my experience it stops after a while of being sober. i think it will for you to. but please keep us updated. i'm there if you need to pm. it will subside after a while
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi FF,

Did you have a chance to check out one of the groups yet? How are you doing today?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi FF,

Did you have a chance to check out one of the groups yet? How are you doing today?
I'm going to check out Sunday's Irish zoom meeting.

Ok today. Just back from a walk. Had a healthy breakfast and relaxing now. How are you?
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Forty minutes til the forbidden off licence (pharmacy) opens. Hand sanitizer sure sounds good right now. But really not a good idea.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know its not a good idea.
Don't even entertain the thought FF.

D
Old 08-03-2021, 11:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Didn't drink yesterday. Day 126. Just back from a walk. Had a healthy breakfast. Drinking pepsi max now though. Can't seem to shake this addiction. Last friday's dental appt shoulda been a wake up call.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

FF, you seem to be teetering on the edge. Romanticizing the drink. But what are you doing to ensure sobriety? I think you need some help man. AA, or a rehab, or medication or a mix of them. I’m worried for you.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

AA or rehab never got good results for me.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the past maybe but maybe it would be different this time.
Or maybe there's another path of support to try - SMART? LifeRing?

If all you're doing is just gritting your teeth and white knuckling, that never lasts for long.
You really need to sort out some more viable options for long term success.

D
Old 08-04-2021, 03:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hmm maybe.

Just did some strength training and ate a healthy lunch. Can't drink today as that would affect muscle repair.

I'm trying to be healthy, eating well and exercising. So if I make that a priority it would naturally preclude drinking.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm new here but I've been reading a lot and this thread caught my attention because I came here as the mom of an alcoholic. My son, has visual hallucinations and has for the last 10 years. He knows the things he sees are not real but so far all of the medications have failed to make them go away and they are there all the time. He is just beginning to try and get sober and I can tell you from watching all he's gone through that drinking didn't make them go away or lessen them. It just gave him a whole set of new problems. And from all I've read, that seems to be a really common realization. I think the kind folks here have made some outstanding suggestions and I really hope that you will consider them. That you are going to school while doing all of this and dealing with your auditory hallucinations makes you a rock star---remember that you are stronger and more resilient than you think. I know that it is hard and some days a lot harder, but you are not alone with any of it. Keep getting help for the things you need help for--not everything will be right for you, but the answer is out there for each thing, though one answer may not cover all things. I wish I could tell you it's just around the corner, but the reality is that is may or may not be---and that doesn't mean you shouldn't focus on trying to find it. What I see in my son is that he's tired and he wants it to be easy and he wants it to be fast---and it's work and a process not an event. His head space is making sobriety harder for him right now, but I'm hopeful that each stumble brings him closer to the understanding he needs. I wish he were as open to support communities as you are---keep that up! For whatever it's worth, a complete stranger took a short glimpse and sees so much that's positive in you and your situation---it isn't all bad and you're doing better than you feel you are.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks 555. Was very nice to read that.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Hmm maybe.

Just did some strength training and ate a healthy lunch. Can't drink today as that would affect muscle repair.

I'm trying to be healthy, eating well and exercising. So if I make that a priority it would naturally preclude drinking.
just be aware that a lot of folks, me included, come into recovery and think/hope a healthy life will alleviate the need for drinking.

Sadly tho there are a lot of alcoholic runners, iron men and women, athletes footballers and weightlifters. I’ve met many here.

I found - and I’m sure you and others have found - you can’t dig around the problem.
Alcoholism is an addiction and IMO it needs to be addressed directly.

D
Old 08-04-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Voices came back. A nurse is going to call me but I don't think there's a psychiatrist working today. This merry go round is getting old.