Notices

Feeling content

Old 07-27-2021, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling content

115 days sober!…Never thought I’d see the day I would have this many days sober. I attend a AA meeting every day which has been a staple of my recovery with Gods help but I also think the fact that I’m tired of screwing up my life is a reason I’ve gone this far. As I await to see what happens after my 3rd Dwi, I know if I want to have a life worth living I had to make a change. In some of my previous posts, after I got stopped for my 3rd Dwi, I had thoughts of suicide because I felt hopeless, I felt my life was over and I knew I may be facing jail time.

Then I accepted where I am in life and also have accepted whatever’s going to happen to me and I’m just gonna have to move forward. There’s no rewind button on life. I’ve learned in AA to “live life on life’s terms.” That couldn’t be more true to me because I have to live right from here on out and the booze alters my mind to a point where I am no longer in control. Not sure what I may do if I’m drunk. All that does is creates a situation where I may wake up to whatever nightmare I may face the next morning and that could be in a jail cell, harm to myself, lost funds from drinking and a upset family and all these things will hit me hard in the days after if I drank on a binge again

Life is precious and we only get to do this once. I want to make it as great as I can. I hope that whoever reads my post that it can be helpful. There’s more to life than putting poison in ourselves. It may feel good to be in a mind altered position but the ramifications afterwards is scary and I don’t want to take that chance anymore! Good luck on sobriety!!!! It’s worth having your life!!!!
Old 07-27-2021, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're sounding great TR

D
Old 07-28-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Work!
Old 07-28-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is a great recovery so far. I'm happy to meet you.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wonderful! You are doing what you need to do to get your life on track and to move forward.
Keep on going and know that you are changing your life. Very proud of you!

Old 07-28-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post Toughroad. Congratulations on your amazing turnaround!

I remember when you first posted about the 3rd DUI and you were feeling hopeless and beating yourself up. I am so glad you have accepted responsibility for your actions and realize all you can do is move forward at this point. I suspect with your positive, determined attitude it will be a brilliant turnaround and life ahead.

Great job! Keep it going.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear from you TR and that you are doing well. Your positive attitude will help you deal with whatever comes along.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's brilliant - well done!!
Old 07-28-2021, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toughroad1209 View Post
Life is precious and we only get to do this once. I want to make it as great as I can. I hope that whoever reads my post that it can be helpful.
A great reminder, thank you! You helped me today.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on reaching five months sober! I wish you the best in your sober life.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 115 day sober! It sounds like AA is really helping and thank you for sharing your experience on SR 🙏
Old 07-29-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on 115 days! 3rd DWI crew here too! I had those same thoughts you did. Guess what? 9 years on from number 3, my life is wonderful! I got my license back about 4 years ago. I even drive drunks around for Uber when I have cravings to remind myself where I was, and where I am now. Give it time, work through the process as it won't be easy. But God doesn't give us anything we can't handle, right? I have a dish towel hanging from my oven that reads, "They say God only gives us what we can handle. If that's the case, he must think I'm a badass!" Stay safe, Stay sober, and keep coming back!
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks M00t, many nights I have felt that I didn’t know anybody else that has had as many dwi’s as I’ve had but it’s nice to see these words from someone who’s been in my shoes. I know I have a tough road In front of me to come but know that I’m going to live a different life going forward and because of that, I don’t have to be in this position again. In AA, we talk a about how if we don’t give alcohol away to our higher power that it will lead us to jails, institutions or death
Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

…with a change to sobriety…we don’t have to endure those pains!!
Old 07-30-2021, 03:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Got my 3rd dui in 1998. Quit after that. Drinking and driving that is.
Drank for 23 more years.

Don't be like me