Notices

I finally found a forum

Old 07-25-2021, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally found a forum

Hello, i never found a forum for alcohol in past so hopefully this can help.

currently been drinking 70cl vodka every evening for probably 4 months, i have started/quit many times in past but i really shouldn't drink.

i am on quitiapine and fluoxetine for depression for probably 10 years so when i drink there is a possibility for seizures or anything else, i never leave the house when drinking as the very few times i have very bad things have happened.

Recently i have for the first time tried alcohol withdrawal medications (bought online)

diazipam helped calm me but not stop the cravings so ended up taking both for around two weeks.

yesterday i tried librium, i took around 100mg throughout the day but this dident help with sleep so i had 5mg diazepam ontop, finally i went to sleep and that was the first day i haven't drunk alcohol for 4 months.

i have no librium left but im hoping to use diazepam for the following days and just hope iv overcome the worst part (first day) and dont relapse.

spoke to my doctor who said a certain detox facility but i cant afford to have this problem on my record as i will loose my driving licence.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, Newfella - I'm so glad you found us & decided to post.
When I came here I'd been drinking all day, every day. I didn't think belonging to a group like this could possibly help, but I found that not feeling alone anymore meant everything. I could talk things over here & everyone would understand. I think you'll find it lessens your anxiety. You're in good company.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Please be very careful taking medications not prescribed by your doctor as there is so much potential for problems. Also, substituting benzos (diazapam) for alcohol is really just switching one addictive substance for another. Are you sure you would lose your driver's license if you went to a detox facility? I've never heard of that before.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking. Please be very careful taking medications not prescribed by your doctor as there is so much potential for problems. Also, substituting benzos (diazapam) for alcohol is really just switching one addictive substance for another. Are you sure you would lose your driver's license if you went to a detox facility? I've never heard of that before.
hi, thanks for reply, yes i believe anyone who has a alcohol problem has to inform dvla, and also anyone taking something like librium

has anyone been in a detox and could say what stuff they put you on and in what quantities? I know it would be different for some but just a guidance.

just want to get past the next week or so and never think about alcohol again, hoping to use the benzo for this but from my experience so far is they are no miracle pill, im just doing it because they are apparently prescribed for this, although im probably getting some sedation from them currently they dont seem to give you any euphoria which is what would get me addicted, like you get with pain killers
Old 07-25-2021, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would second the be careful taking benzos thing. They can be very addictive.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Newfella, how are you today?

I was drinking about half that amount of whiskey weekdsys and ~ 50cl at weekends but for some years rather than months. What I learned from my (many) relapses was that my alcoholism was too far advanced to be able to resist the urge to drink in the evenings. My eventual solution - discovered out of desperation after everything else had failed - was to essentially take the evenings out of my life for a few months.

I would get up at zero dark thirty, go out and jog/ walk for an hour. I would then do my days work and when I got home do all of my cooking, washing etc. By 8pm I could barely keep my eyes open.

That is an analogue method of getting sober, it's not new age-y at all but it worked way better than I dared hope. Sober for over 6 and a half years now.

It is hard but it is not hard for ever. You can be a non drinker. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2021, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When i worked in a rehab centre we would give benzos of fixed amounts depending on the person, their drinking pattern, their health and likelihood of severe AWS (these are quite standard amounts and are easy to find on the internet). Sometimes we used librium, sometimes diazepam. Always gave it for a finite time, the worst cases of dependent drinkers (2 litres of vodka a day plus) would only be given the benzos for a maximum of a week under doctors supervision of course. We gave the person the medication to stave off potential physical complications, they do not help at all for psychological cravings. For cravings you will need some program of recovery or go the doctor and see if they would be prepared to prescribe a medication to try and tackle these symptoms.

Regardless good to hear you are trying to stop
Old 07-26-2021, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hiya newfella!

I just want to congratulate you for seeking sobriety and for acting immediately to begin!!

I'll echo the cautions of others and urge you to seek appropriate medical guidance and therapeutic support for your journey of sobriety. Though I know you have concerns about letting people know of your struggles, I can assure you that worse things can (and likely will) come of trying to keep it hidden and self-medicate.

You can do this, but it really helps to have a team.

And when it involves multiple prescription medications.... it's essential to have a professional team.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome new fella

i’m glad you’re seeing a doctor now. It’s important to have a little expert opinion.
In my experience, we alcoholics and addicts don’t tend to make great self medicators.

D
Old 07-27-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hi Newfella, how are you today?

I was drinking about half that amount of whiskey weekdsys and ~ 50cl at weekends but for some years rather than months. What I learned from my (many) relapses was that my alcoholism was too far advanced to be able to resist the urge to drink in the evenings. My eventual solution - discovered out of desperation after everything else had failed - was to essentially take the evenings out of my life for a few months.

I would get up at zero dark thirty, go out and jog/ walk for an hour. I would then do my days work and when I got home do all of my cooking, washing etc. By 8pm I could barely keep my eyes open.

That is an analogue method of getting sober, it's not new age-y at all but it worked way better than I dared hope. Sober for over 6 and a half years now.

It is hard but it is not hard for ever. You can be a non drinker. Good luck!
Dident think id be writing this but Soz for the guys who praised me but dont think these meds worked for me, i dreaded not sleeping again tonight so iv gone and just bought another bottle, its not like me, going two days after such a long period of abuse to just give in so quick, not sure if its the benzos, but regardless from what iv heard taking diazepam, librium and alcohol together can be deadly (i highly doubt it though)

Too add: not taken any librium today as only had 20 but apparently they stay in system 200 hours not to mention valium.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This site can really work newfella but you need to post here before you drink. We can help you make better choices.

As for the meds - you’re really setting yourself up to having to fight two addictions the longer you self medicate. Addictions not always about euphoria. The more you use something to sleep, or not to feel bad, the more dependent you become upon it.

I’m guessing you already have some drinking and driving on your licence, which is why you don’t want to see a Doc?

but you’re really setting yourself up for a situation where your licence is the least of your worries man.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This site can really work newfella but you need to post here before you drink. We can help you make better choices.

As for the meds - you’re really setting yourself up to having to fight two addictions the longer you self medicate. Addictions not always about euphoria. The more you use something to sleep, or not to feel bad, the more dependent you become upon it.

I’m guessing you already have some drinking and driving on your licence, which is why you don’t want to see a Doc?

but you’re really setting yourself up for a situation where your licence is the least of your worries man.
Hi, i had a seziure out in public due to probably pain medications and strong alcohol mixed together the night before, so i lost it for a year, but for some reason just because at the time i was occasionally binge drinking and told my doc i swear thats why i only got my licence back for only 1 year.

not gonna lie iv been on and off alcohol throughout my life, i just get very addicted to things, one time i went a year without alcohol, another time 2 years and my last stint was 6months waiting for gyms to open only for me to suddenling get two operations that id been waiting for so when that happen i couldn't train for 3 months, thats when i took a drink out of frustration i couldent train and here i am, really shrugging with this, i even asked a family member if i could work in there factory during the night even if just for a couple of weeks to get me out of this routine, but not much like (currently i dont work)

p.s sorry but im struggling to workout how to use this site, hopefully i will so i can reply better to people, anyone with very much experience with what iv been talking about dont hesitate to pm me
Old 07-27-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing fine with replying newfella.

I was a daily drinker by the end - drank my entire adult life til 40.

I couldn't see myself making 50 if I didn't change so I started posting here, did some volunteering in my community to help fill my days and give me some purpose, and basically did whatever I needed to do to not get drink or high anymore.

some days were hard - but I got through and the days got easier after a while

D
Old 07-28-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

well last night i had half of what i normally have which is 70cl vodka, instead i had 35cl and took some diazepam and this helped me not drink anymore and want to sleep.

maybe if i try this again tonight just 35cl vodka with diazepam the alcohol will be slowly getting out my system until i dont feel like it anymore, just a thought.

iv tried cutting down many times in past to weaver off but that never works as i cant sleep, so maybe weaning off with the diazepam might work

last night i went on facebook which i dont normally do and said so many stupid things to so many people when i wake up and realise this it gives me panic attacks knowing you cant reverse it

Old 07-28-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Newfella, you are risking serious health problems by mixing alcohol with diazepam. It's especially risky since the medications are not prescribed to you. You really should talk to your doctor.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Newfella, it sounds like you are at risk of getting into a worse pickle than you are already in. Stop trying this that and the other, there is no magic cure. Believe me, I searched every avenue for a miracle.

I would suggest you get rid of the online medications immediately. To stop drinking you have to stop buying it. No more Vodka. No more bargaining with the devil. Accept the discomfort and fight the cravings with every fibre of your being. Walk, scream, pace ,whatever. There is no easy way out but that makes sobriety so much more precious. Good things take hard work.

Speak to your Dr if you feel you need medical support.

Good luck, I know you can do it.