Notices

Discouraged

Old 07-19-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Discouraged

Good morning all,
I recently applied for a position here in town, and got an interview. I passed the interview stage, and am onto the next, which is background investigation. I'm calling this morning to cancel because 1) I just can't push myself to tell them that I'm in recovery, and 2) 12-hour shifts just don't seem feasible for me as a single mom.
I'm feeling a mix of emotions... upset at myself, discouraged, disappointed. I'm also feeling relief!
Thanks for listening y'all.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Windpines,

why would you have to tell them you are in recovery? Do you have a criminal record?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Hi WP, I've sat on many interview boards to hire staff for my old employer and I know I would give you high marks for being honest about being in recovery, but that is just me. I also know if I really wanted the job and it was somehow related to me being a recovering alcoholic, I'd still be honest and mention my recovery.

The 12 hours shifts could really pose a problem depending on the age of your children, but as the saying goes, if you really want it, you'll find a way...
Old 07-19-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there any reason for your future employer to know of your personal life?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have employed a lot of people, i would strongly recommend you do not tell anyone you are in recovery unless you have to because of a very important, tangible reason. 12 hour shifts sound long for a single mum, maybe you could go to the interview anyway for good practice and they might be open to other shifts?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on making it to the next stage in the process WindPines, even if you do eventually choose to withdraw. I went through a layoff and job search last year and i can't even tell you how many I never heard back from, so when you get that opportunity to make it to the next step it feels good. I would recommend you go through with the entire interview process, even if you don't plan on taking the job. You don't need to make a decision until they actually give you an offer so unless there's a time conflict with the interview I'd continue on.

Regarding your recovery, I can't think of any legal reason you should have to disclose that. You may need to be drug tested or take a pre-employment physical, I had to do that, but you are a sober person and that's pretty much that.

The 12 hour shift could certainly be a concern too, but again - why not wait until they actually put an offer on the table before you worry about that? And if they do make an offer, tell them about your concerns with the kids and ask if they have any daycare programs or TSA progams for pre-tax deductions.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going Windpines! You're doing so well. Kids do need a parent there, so I understand your reluctance to take that on (I wouldn't), but as others mentioned it doesn't hurt to go through the process. In any case I recommend NOT mentioning anything about alcohol, or recovery. No need for that. I interviewed many people at one point in my career and I would have found it strange for someone to bring that up. It's a personal matter.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm also not sure why you feel you'd need to disclose that you're in recovery. As Scott said, many employers do drug tests now, but that should be easy. Beyond that, I'm not sure why you'd need to talk about it. As for the 12-hour shifts, that is difficult as a single mom. Is having a live-in Nanny a possibility? I had a friend who did that because she was single with kids and worked long shifts, but of course you'd need space for that.