Notices

Do I REALLY need treatment?

Old 07-18-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by ZeroNowhere570 View Post
A part of me also feels like I’m wasting my time entering the program if I don’t need it.
...or don't really want to quit drinking.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post and for your wonderful honesty. I can only speak for myself and that is to say that I personally need all the help I can get and then some !

I felt worried for you if I can say that considering I dont really know you, but I felt anxious reading your description of your condition.

I truly hope you will accept help at this point and perhaps that way you can take your first steps on the road to recovery and avoid what sounds like serious physical repercussions if you continue drinking.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would say re-read your original post and ask yourself what advice you would give someone else if you were reading it for the first time. A few of the important points I would pull out

1. You visited a rehab center, were given medical advice that you could benefit by attending their program, went through intake and then failed to show up. You then ignored follow up contacts from said facility

2. You have been a blackout drinker for 10 years.

3. You have mental health issues which are compounded because of your drinking

4. Despite all the above you feel you can stop on your own ( even though you are actively drinking now ) and because you are "still alive" feel you don't need to go.

Bottom line, only you can make the decision to go or not. And also know that if you aren't committed to staying quit for good, no rehab center is going to be able to change that fact - only you can. There is no magic potion or secret technique that they teach you at rehab - it is basically an focused/captive version of many of the same things you can do on your own ( meetings, counseling, etc ) - the difference of course that the ability to purchase alcohol is not there. Having said that, you can leave whenever you want and many people do. It's also not uncommon for one to successfully complete rehab and pick up some drinks on the way home, happens all the time. You said you were curious and you asked the question, so there's the answer. It may not be the one you wanted, but yes - the first step has to be made by you. You said that you quit for 30 days, that is indeed a good period of staying sober - what happened after the 30 days if I might ask?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You’re like a car with a flat tire. You know you should just replace it but instead you keep filling it with air. It usually runs out of air when you’re at home and filling it isn’t too bad. But sometimes it runs out of air at very bad times when you’re far from home and it creates a great inconvenience. But someday, it might actually blow and cause a serious crash if it hasn’t already.

You don’t want to replace it because it will be too expensive, too much of a sacrifice so instead you adapt to this new way of life. Every day is centered around that dumb tire.

You know you should replace the tire.

Well, you know you need some help. You signed up almost a decade ago here. You knew you had a problem then, and you know it’s worse now. It’s death by a thousand cuts. If you can quit on your own, then do it. But you’ve already tried haven’t you? I bet you’ve tried a lot. If you’re anything like me, you’ve sworn off alcohol perhaps a thousand times. I could not quit on my own. I tried every method known to man. Today I have a big community and a lot of tools to keep me sober and I still fail sometimes. But if I were still trying to do it alone, I would certainly be dead (not even remotely an exaggeration.)

Inpatient/outpatient/AA/therapy whatever, but man, you owe it to yourself to try something different. 10 years of binge drinking is a pretty damn wasteful way to spend your life. Trust me, I know.

ps: sorry for the poor tire analogy, but after I typed most of it I didn’t want to start over. Lol. Stick around, and try something new. Like my bunch says, “If nothing changes, nothing changes”

Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You said that you quit for 30 days, that is indeed a good period of staying sober - what happened after the 30 days if I might ask?
My girlfriend had gone over to her friends house for drinks on a Friday night. She meant well, asked if it would bother me or not and I said no (she doesn’t have an alcohol use issue in the least, rarely drinks). I can’t control what other people do, or expect them to change their lives because of my issue.

That Saturday morning I went for a long drive, thought about some things, then went to the beer distributor and got drunk. No real reason why, I just did it.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
ps: sorry for the poor tire analogy, but after I typed most of it I didn’t want to start over. Lol. Stick around, and try something new. Like my bunch says, “If nothing changes, nothing changes”
Don’t be sorry at all, that’s actually a very good analogy and the truth of what it really is.

Thank you for the sound advice man.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

If you don't want it, it doesn't really matter if you need it.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

With all your research thus far ALL signs point to having to make a decision and following through on that decision.

Talking with a rehab facility shows that you want to get sober. Getting 30 days of sobriety shows that you can get sober.

Getting sober and staying sober are two different things.

For me, the first few months of not drinking alcohol were wild and I really didn't feel like I was in "recovery" or "recovering" from active alcoholism. It is only now 9+ months later that I can say that I am in recovery from alcoholism. I've recovered from active alcoholism physically but mentally and emotionally I will always be in a "recovery" zone.

Commitment. Determination. Tools. Faith. Belief in oneself. One day at a time. You can do it!

Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That Saturday morning I went for a long drive, thought about some things, then went to the beer distributor and got drunk. No real reason why, I just did it.
Rarely in life to things ever happen for no reason. You had to make several conscious choices to get to the point of standing in line and buying the alcohol, and you had likely already made the choice before you even got in the car. I've done it myself many times in the past - driving home from work, knowing I should not stop at my favorite stop for "just a couple". Sitting in the parking lot knowing should not get out of the car - I even drove out of the parking lot and circled around and came back more than once. But I still decided to go in and drink.

The thing that rehab can give you ( or a recovery program ) is tools to help you make the right choices. Those tools are recovery programs with peer accountability, or things like CBT therapy, or AVRT where you define and separate from your AV, and there are many more. But as another poster very clearly stated, if you aren't fully committed to the task, whether you need those tools is irrelevant as you won't choose to use them.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

"If you don't accept the truth you will be one of those people." That is spot on to what I saw the day my denial broke. It didn't occur to me to go to AA but I did promise myself that if I ever drank again I would go to treatment. I really didn't want to go to treatment but I was willing to do whatever I had to do to stop what was coming my way.

So, you tried it without. That didn't work. What's your next step?
Old 07-18-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
nez

If you had been in rehab, you would have been protected from your "no real reason why" because you wouldn't have been able to take a long drive, wind up at a beer distributor, and get drunk. That is exactly what rehab did for me...it protected me from myself for 30 days. It gave me a better shot at being able to do it by myself, because for 30 days, I couldn't make those "no real reason why" decisions.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes! You need treatment. Daily blackout drinker? Have you had any tests to check how your liver is doing?

I spent 5 weeks in rehab, I was amongst the worst drinkers in my group with 2 years of daily vodka drinking. I held down a job the whole time amazingly because I didn't get hangovers but that's a sign of a chronic alcoholic. I would start to go into withdrawal by lunch time and have to drink a couple pints at a pub so my hands stopped shaking. Then at 5pm I was off to the liquor store. I ended up in the ER for the first time in my life with abdominal pains. Alcohol induced hepatitis (swollen liver).

While in rehab, I did finally get a diagnosis of ADHD at age 35. The facility I was.in, had a whole team of professionals and counselors. Although, I was given a prescription for amphetamines which is standard for ADHD, but not a good idea for a 35 year old who had already abused everything.

The point is getting into treatment to be evaluated by the experts.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yes! You need treatment. Daily blackout drinker? Have you had any tests to check how your liver is doing?

I spent 5 weeks in rehab, I was amongst the worst drinkers in my group with 2 years of daily vodka drinking. I held down a job the whole time amazingly because I didn't get hangovers but that's a sign of a chronic alcoholic. I would start to go into withdrawal by lunch time and have to drink a couple pints at a pub so my hands stopped shaking. Then at 5pm I was off to the liquor store. I ended up in the ER for the first time in my life with abdominal pains. Alcohol induced hepatitis (swollen liver).

While in rehab, I did finally get a diagnosis of ADHD at age 35. The facility I was.in, had a whole team of professionals and counselors. Although, I was given a prescription for amphetamines which is standard for ADHD, but not a good idea for a 35 year old who had already abused everything. Wasn't long before I was abusing the ADHD stimulants

The point is getting into treatment to be evaluated by the experts.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Rehab would be wonderful for you! Give it a shot! What do you have to lose? Choosing to be in a place where people are going to care for you and help you get your life back is a great and healthy choice
Old 07-18-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I would say re-read your original post and ask yourself what advice you would give someone else if you were reading it for the first time. A few of the important points I would pull out

1. You visited a rehab center, were given medical advice that you could benefit by attending their program, went through intake and then failed to show up. You then ignored follow up contacts from said facility

2. You have been a blackout drinker for 10 years.

3. You have mental health issues which are compounded because of your drinking

4. Despite all the above you feel you can stop on your own ( even though you are actively drinking now ) and because you are "still alive" feel you don't need to go.

Bottom line, only you can make the decision to go or not. And also know that if you aren't committed to staying quit for good, no rehab center is going to be able to change that fact - only you can. There is no magic potion or secret technique that they teach you at rehab - it is basically an focused/captive version of many of the same things you can do on your own ( meetings, counseling, etc ) - the difference of course that the ability to purchase alcohol is not there. Having said that, you can leave whenever you want and many people do. It's also not uncommon for one to successfully complete rehab and pick up some drinks on the way home, happens all the time. You said you were curious and you asked the question, so there's the answer. It may not be the one you wanted, but yes - the first step has to be made by you. You said that you quit for 30 days, that is indeed a good period of staying sober - what happened after the 30 days if I might ask?
This sums it up. It's what you need to really think about. It's not an easy decision but it's the one that is best for you IMO. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am a BIG believer in an inpatient treatment program. It helped me.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I would say if you can quit by yourself then do it. I did. But if you have tried a few times and cant then I would suggest that maybe you need help. A lot of people do use help to quit and a lot of people dont/cant quit by themselves. Alcoholism is a progressive thing. It keeps getting worse unless you quit. Its just a fact. How far do you want to take it?
Old 07-18-2021, 05:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Alcoholism is a progressive thing. It keeps getting worse unless you quit. Its just a fact. How far do you want to take it?
I had to realize that and believe it before I could commit to quitting.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:54 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by birddawg View Post
I had to realize that and believe it before I could commit to quitting.
I’ve spent almost a lifetime “researching” this. It proves quite true. And more so than progressive is it’s ability to transform. Exhibiting different behaviors and producing more dire results.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yep, it took me till sometime in my 30's to realize I was addicted and then I spent the next 15 or so years telling myself daily that I need to quit drinking. Untill one day I guess I just had enough. This website was a HUGE part of my quitting.