Notices

On Day 4 and went to a Birthday Party

Old 07-17-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On Day 4 and went to a Birthday Party

I had a Birthday to go to for a special girl. We were gifting her a horse for her Birthday so we kind of had to be there. I had 2 Virgin Shirley Temples and they were so refreshing I didn't even feel like having alcohol. I am home safe now and ready to tackle day 5 tomorrow.

Would like opinions Is it okay to drink virgin drinks at a party or get together ?
Old 07-17-2021, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Tee68 View Post
Would like opinions Is it okay to drink virgin drinks at a party or get together ?
Personally, I couldn't have, wouldn't have, gone to an event so early in recovery where there was alcohol present. The temptation would have been too great.

As for the question of virgin drinks, I don't drink them. Not virgin drinks, not mocktails, not non-alcoholic beer. That's not saying no one should. But I couldn't. Too much like "real" drinks. Next thing, I might be telling myself I could have one with alcohol. No, I never went that way, never felt I had to look like I was drinking to fit in.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're drinking something that reminds you of what you used to drink, and you're surrounded by drinkers, I think its best to stick to other kinds of drinks.

I used to drink NA beer in those situations - really miss the buzz - get annoyed at other people for having the buzz, and then think 'oh, one beer won't kill me'....and I was off into drinking again.

I made my point about parties in the other thread, but I am glad you went ok.

The point is tho - thats a whole lot of potential slippery slopes especially if you are in your first weeks of not drinking.

I treat my recovery like a precious jewel, even now.

You don't have to stay at home and mope, but you don't have to be a recovery daredevil putting yourself in a variety of wet and risky situations either....the middle way is best.

D
Old 07-17-2021, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shirley Temples were given to me as a child. Its sprite and grenadine. I would order them when we would go out to eat. I've never associated it as an alcoholic beverage or it being a mocktail. I guess its different in other places. Anyways, it sounds like you had a good sober time. Keep on doing that!
Old 07-17-2021, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you did fine, just be cautious. It really is early days. In those situations, or eating out in a nice restaurant, I generally drink tonic water with a lime, it doesn't remind me of a G & T , because I never drank them, it's just refreshing.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never liked the NA drinks. Too much like the real thing and it bothered me. Anyway, I like other regular drinks better, like iced tea, orange juice, water, and coffee. I don't need mocktails.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m glad you did okay at the party. I would have struggled being there early on. I am not a fan of mock tails, or NA drinks, I prefer sparkling water , green tea, or soda, but as long as you aren’t tempted to switch over to the real thing I think you’re okay.

You are getting close to one week!
Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The sugar worries me as much as the non alcohol cocktail aspect of it. Sugar is bad for you. Your body turns alcohol to sugar too. If you have liver issues at all it’s best to avoid added sugar.

Whatever works for you. My new go to is just order water everywhere. No exceptions. That way I can’t screw it up.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think as long as it doesn't feel like a trigger and you're not subconsciously trying to 'replace' alcohol then it is okay. I had a lovely mock tail the other day and I just thought it was a lovely drink as opposed to an alcohol substitute. Possibly different dependent on length of sobriety
love Billy x
Old 07-18-2021, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do what you want as long as you don't drink alcohol. I don't give a monkeys about drinking non alcoholic beer or the like, I never got drunk or non alcoholic beverages! I couldn't have gone to a party 4 days into sobriety, i would have been as miserable as sin and really struggled so it depends what your pattern was as a drinker.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is a fine line.

1). I can’t do N/A beer. I find myself drinking it fast and then my mind braces for the rush of endorphins from alcohol that never comes. I’ve relapsed twice after having N/A beer. It’s too close to my addiction.

2). I can, and do, drink raw kombucha (GT Trilogy). It’s a complex and tart flavor that my mind does not associate with the high of alcohol, so it works *for me.* I drink it every day and at family gatherings where alcohol is freely flowing. It’s a taste I actually associate with health and sobriety now.

Some would argue against anything like kombucha or N/A beer or CBD oil etc., but ultimately what you can and can’t do depends on you, and your ability to cut it loose if it threatens your sobriety in any way. My great uncle quit drinking and had N/A beer for decades without relapsing. It’s very individual.

bottom line — If it puts you on the train to relapse, it’s not worth it.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, non-alcoholic drinks are too much of a reminder of my drinking days. I got rid of all my wine glasses and any other things that reminded me of drinking.

I'm glad the party was okay for you.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

Is a child's birthday party really a place to drink alcohol anyways? I wouldn't think so.
I mean a virgin screwdriver is just orange juice and I drink that, so I can't say I don't drink virgin drinks 🤷‍♀️
Old 07-19-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done on day 4! I avoid things like alcohol free wine and beer. It's too close to home and triggers reminders and cravings.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tee68 View Post
I had a Birthday to go to for a special girl. We were gifting her a horse for her Birthday so we kind of had to be there. I had 2 Virgin Shirley Temples and they were so refreshing I didn't even feel like having alcohol. I am home safe now and ready to tackle day 5 tomorrow.

Everyone copes with things in their own way. I like virgin drinks at parties and it has never made me want the alcohol version,