Notices

New and on Day 4

Old 07-16-2021, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and on Day 4

Hi everyone new here little bit about myself from Scotland in my early 30s started using alcohol to help with anxiety and was a terrible idea!! Would drink every 2nd/3rd day then was daily as when the alcohol started wearing off the anxiety returned 💯 times worse! So went got help went in for a detox for 7days stayed away from alcohol for 8months then my father died was a complete shock to my system couldn’t visit him due to the Covid outbreak so I started to drink again silly thing to do but took the pain away and the anxiety. Then my sister inlaw passed away 2 months after unexpectedly what a year ! So got in contact with with my worker done home detox lasted 2weeks thoughts flying through my head about the deaths of them and couldn’t get to spend time with them due to the out break! So here I am last drink was in Monday decided enough was enough so I am on day 4 not on any meds for the withdrawals day 1/2/3 was bad sweating anxiety through the roof today seems not to bad could have drank if I wanted but had enough of this alcohol am finished with it not putting myself through but again
Old 07-16-2021, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Stigs. Sounds like you've had a rough time. Congrats on day four. I'm new here as well (day 11) but it seems like a good place to be for support and advice. Best of luck!
Old 07-16-2021, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by GottaBeKidding View Post
Welcome Stigs. Sounds like you've had a rough time. Congrats on day four. I'm new here as well (day 11) but it seems like a good place to be for support and advice. Best of luck!
thanks yeah been a hard one but I’ll get there alcohol first then get the anxiety sorted minds focused on the right path for recovery ❤️‍🩹 one day at a time 💪 my advice to anyone if there dealing with anxiety Do not turn to alcohol it makes things lot worse in the long run
Old 07-16-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry for your losses stig
You know alcohol is making your life worse. It is a very temporary reprieve at most. Eventually it will not even help for a little while.

You have come to the right place for help and support.
Stick around and no matter what Do Not Drink.
Do whatever it takes.
It will get easier with sober time under your belt.

Are you using any method, AA AVRT SMART or similar?
Old 07-16-2021, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Sorry for your losses stig
You know alcohol is making your life worse. It is a very temporary reprieve at most. Eventually it will not even help for a little while.

You have come to the right place for help and support.
Stick around and no matter what Do Not Drink.
Do whatever it takes.
It will get easier with sober time under your belt.

Are you using any method, AA AVRT SMART or similar?
Thanks yes was making it worse made everything worse anxiety depression you don’t think it does at the time until you open up your eyes, they should put pictures on bottles and cans what can happen to you like they do on cigarettes packets don’t see why they haven’t done so 🤷🏻‍♂️ Am not using any method just using my motivation not to drink and keep saying to myself it’s not worth it there’s people fighting for there life and there was me emptying my bladder down the toilet 🚽 totally wake up call for me
Old 07-16-2021, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 07-16-2021, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you're making a change Stigs.. we've all been there. Most of us need support though, or we slip back when we start feeling better. I suggest if you're not using AA or another program, to stick close here to SR - read and post every day.

If you want support (and fun) join the July class, it really helps to be in a group with others who quit same month.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 07-16-2021, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is too much money in alcohol so I doubt we will see warnings anytime soon. Sadly
I watched a movie on TV last night and there were commercials for 3 or 4 different types of alcohol in a row. Every 10 minutes.

Willpower is good and needed but will only get you so far.

I don't follow any particular program either except the one I have put together from the great advice I have received here.

The one thing I believe has helped me the most is being able to recognize my AV (Addictive Voice) and shut it down.

Stick around here and participate as much as you can. It really does help.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Four days sober is a great start!
Old 07-16-2021, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. Four days sober is a great start!
thanks
Old 07-16-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is too much money in alcohol so I doubt we will see warnings anytime soon. Sadly
I watched a movie on TV last night and there were commercials for 3 or 4 different types of alcohol in a row. Every 10 minutes.

Willpower is good and needed but will only get you so far.

I don't follow any particular program either except the one I have put together from the great advice I have received here.

The one thing I believe has helped me the most is being able to recognize my AV (Addictive Voice) and shut it down.

Stick around here and participate as much as you can. It really does help.
so true about the alcohol advertising a thought there was loads more during lockdown that wouldn’t be helping people. I’ll post regular keep checking in will thanks 😃
Old 07-16-2021, 02:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=advbike;7669609]Glad you're making a change Stigs.. we've all been there. Most of us need support though, or we slip back when we start feeling better. I suggest if you're not using AA or another program, to stick close here to SR - read and post every day.

If you want support (and fun) join the July class, it really helps to be in a group with others who quit same month.

will
have a look will be keeping a daily update on my progress 😃 been reading loads of post on here
Old 07-16-2021, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR stigs

D
Old 07-17-2021, 07:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your losses too Stig - it sounds like you have had such a rough time of it.

Delighted to have another Scot here though! This is a good place to learn and to stay sober x
Old 07-17-2021, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Stig, and I'm very sorry for your losses. Glad you're here.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Stigs. I'm sorry for your losses, but I'm glad you found us.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR stigs

D
thanks 😃
Old 07-18-2021, 01:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
I'm so sorry for your losses too Stig - it sounds like you have had such a rough time of it.

Delighted to have another Scot here though! This is a good place to learn and to stay sober x
been a difficult year but will get there 💯 yeah it’s a good place definitely been reading loads of posts on day 6 😃 now
Old 07-18-2021, 01:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome, Stigs. I'm sorry for your losses, but I'm glad you found us.
thanking you 😃
Old 07-18-2021, 03:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There is too much money in alcohol so I doubt we will see warnings anytime soon..
Something very odd/sinister has gone on in the past for smoking to have become so out of favour. Conspiracy theory alert - there are lots of alcohol producers, but the tobacco industry is largely made up of four companies. Someone’s upset the powers that be. I hate smoking, but I can’t see how smoking, say, 10 to 20 cigarettes a day is more harmful than my old drinking amount of a bottle a wine a day. Whilst alcohol gets advertised all over, you won’t see any tobacco advertised, at least not in Europe.

The amount of revenue raised by alcohol is obviously more than the cost to fix the health problems it causes ☹️