Notices

Personal Life Mission Statement

Old 07-13-2021, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Personal Life Mission Statement

Hi, my name is Bobby C and I'm a grateful recovering addict - and, to me, that means that I am a "Builder in Life", not a destroyer. My purpose in life is to build upon my spiritual character and to build safe, healthy relationships in all aspects of life.

I am a member of multiple recovery support groups and regardless of the recovery organization that I am attached to, I am expected to identify myself in accordance with the way that the organization expects - ie, AA "recovering alcoholic", NA "recovering addict", etc. Quite frequently, the issue of how people identifies themselves in a meeting comes up and sometimes it becomes a contentious item.

Each recovery organization as well as non-recovery organizations to which I am attached has their own organizational identity and statement of purpose and I honor their right to be separate and distinct - so, I identify myself in a manner that satisfies their desire to send out a clear message. It has been helpful to me make a distinction between my organizational identity and my spiritual identity. It has been tremendously beneficial to me to develop my own Personal Life Mission Statement - which simply states who I am and what my purpose is in life - and this statement is my spiritual description. I kept it short because I frequently need it in a pinch to serve as a "Spiritual Compass" to keep me on course with my recovery. It helps me to relate to not only to those who are in recovery, but also to those who are not in recovery (the "normies") - so, it's all inclusive so that all can mutually benefit when we share our personal experience, strength and hope with each other.

In recovery, I have developed the concept that I am a spirit having a human experience - so, embracing the idea that it is my spirit-self that is to guide (using God's will and strength) my human-self in a safe, healthy way. Hence, my Personal Life Mission Statement is very similar to how I introduced myself at the beginning of this post:

My Personal Life Mission Statement: "I am a builder in life, not a destroyer - my purpose in life is to build safe, healthy relationships and to contribute to the safety and civility of all communities to which I am attached". My motto: "Bloom where you are planted". My Moral Code: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

I also call my mission statement my "Spiritual Compass" because it's what helps me "Stay the Course" in my life's journey. It helps me to do the right things for the right reasons and it helps make difficult decisions easier to make. In any given situation, I can simply ask myself: "Will this build and nurture a safe, healthy relationship - or will it destroy a relationship?" and "Will this contribute to a safe and civil community or will it create chaos in my community?"

This has greatly simplified my program of recovery. My value system and boundaries all effortlessly fell into place. My old self-image (the pseudo-god within) has been replaced with a love-based self-image that redirects the energy, once called OCD, now being used for acts of goodwill and is now called passion. My personal inventory is a continuous purging of character defects that destroys relationships and the embracement of the spiritual principles that builds relationships.

Your's in Recovery
Bobby C.
"Bloom where you are planted"

Last edited by BobbyCC; 07-13-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Point of clarification
Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Glad you found us.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice post, Bobby. Keep that attitude!
Old 07-13-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 07-13-2021, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome sir.

I stay clean by any means!

My go to move is exercise. I am 56 years old and I haven't been in this shape since I was in my 30's. My cardio used to be amazing, but now I just can't do it.

I hit the gym every day that my body will let me and if I can get away with it, I go 2 times.

I don't do it for the ladies, I do it for me. Being in ok shape is very nice. Being super clean is also very nice.

Love love love.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well hello there Bob the Builder! I like your mission, bloom away! x
Old 07-13-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bloom where you are planted, I like that!

More so, much more so in my days of drinkin and druggin i would think if i only lived in this last place i visited or how cool some place i saw on TV looks..

I think in sobriety i spend more time appreciating what is front of me.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome BobbyCC.

I like your Mission Statement.

I'm trying to bloom....and so far so good. 🌺

All because I'm sober.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Bobby CC
I love your statement 🙂

Bloom where you are planted is a great underpinning for a happy fulfilled sober life I think

Really glad to have you with us
Love Billy x