Notices

Bad day

Old 07-12-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad day

Here we go again. Yesterday, for England's football match, I drank about 15 pints, and then started on Jaegerbombs....

I am a 41 year old male from London, and I have previously been sober for 9 years while I was living in Europe. It was _easy_, I was positive, strong and accomplished. I came back to London and almost immediately it all started again. I'm a dry drunk.

My poor wife... I can't do this anymore. I quit (again).

Very hungover today, but somehow this one feels like a line in the sand - I am done with this demon.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

We all know that feeling all to well. The rollercoaster ride from hell!
Obviously, you have been triggered (like many of us).
Hope your bad day goes away soon so you can start looking on the brighter side and begin again anew. Give yourself a break...it happened and move forward!
Old 07-12-2021, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds pretty awful.

I hope you make it stick this time. Welcome.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi reroute, was a bad day/night all round. I reckon there were plenty of relapses yesterday and throughout the tournament when you consider none of us have had much fun lately.

Sounds a grim hangover too. You must’ve been in a pub with a crowd to have drank like that. Let it be a line in the sand as you say. Maybe some new activities and dare I say it new friends?

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When your sobriety hangs on a football game, you know you have a problem. I never actually drew a line in the sand until I actually drew a line in the sand. That's when things start to get better. It's hard to get to that point, but then things get easy. Then you ask yourself why was it so hard to have it this easy. That's addiction. I hope you are ready to choose the easier softer way. It does actually exist. It's called sobriety.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind replies and understanding. I will have a nice hot bath tonight with some epsom salts, and just focus on getting nutrition in me.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reading your post makes me cringe as I remember some devastating hangovers from my past drinking days.

So your post had a positive effect on me. It guaranteed that I'm not going to drink today.

That's kind of how this forum works, we learn as others share their experiences. Now for me, it's not usually the devastating drinking episodes of others, but rather the uplifting sober success stories and experiences of others. Logging on to this website pretty much everyday helps me stay sober, you should try it.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just for clarity, I was sober 2010 - 2019. For the last 2.5 years I've had issues moderating, and it's becoming like the old pre-2010 days now, too... it's just a matter of time before someone offers me a line of cocaine and I take it.

Never going back again.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I kept relapsing until I completely submitted to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous, and I have come to believe that there is a type of alcoholic for whom A.A. is the only solution. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear, friend. At your age you are at a fork in the road. I know because I was there and chose the wrong path - to continue trying to moderate. I had some success and some difficult times, but ultimately had to stop. And the additional two decades took a lot more away.

Don't let it happen. Stop now and draw that line in the sand. Pull out ALL the stops, avail yourself of EVERY tool you have, or the same will happen to you.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome reroute! I'm so glad you found us & decided to join. This place helped me end a 30 yr. attempt at being a social drinker.
I remember so clearly that miserable feeling you're experiencing. As you've realized, the only way to avoid it is to stop all together. For us, just a few drinks now & then is never going to be possible. Wish it hadn't taken me so many years of chaos to admit I can't touch the stuff.
You sound determined - we know you can do this. Stay with us for encouragement & understanding.

And....condolences on the loss.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome reroute,

I'm sorry about your relapse. It seems you must know how to stay sober for a long period of time, so hopefully you can use some of those tools you've acquired to get sober again. Maybe you can try to determine what exactly it is about London that makes you want to drink. By doing that, you can find ways to deal with those triggers.

You can do this!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So sorry you are struggling rerout. This a great place to be for support. I'm new to the SR forums also and have already gotten lots of help in my sober journey. Good for you 9 years sober. I'm 7 months this time and that's the longest I've made it.
Just remember if you did it once you have the strength to make it again!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, re-route. You must be feeling horrendously.

There is an exponentially better way to live, in sobriety and recovery. Learning to truly appreciate and be grateful for sobriety can be the key.

Stick around; you will find some great advice.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It was always going to be a bad result for any football fans, i'm 50 and remember all the hype and then pants being pulled down just as you think they might do it this time! Stepping back into old haunts/places can be a big problem in sobriety unfortunately. You might have to put in some additional support for yourself whilst you are in London, i go to AA it's pretty cool actually and trendy up there! 15 pints and Jaegers, an all day one, i hope you found a kebab or something to soak it up

I lived in London for quite some time and it's very easy to get caught up in it again, i can so relate. Stick around here and keep trying.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it here reroute. It doesn't have to be this way ever again.

Welcome.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reroute View Post
Just for clarity, I was sober 2010 - 2019. For the last 2.5 years I've had issues moderating, and it's becoming like the old pre-2010 days now, too...
I did a bit of DIY science and read about why ex-drinkers can’t moderate. Something to do with GABA receptors in our brains that tell us when to chill out. Unfortunately, years of drinking affect these GABA receptors, and it’s irreversible.

I often crave “just the one”, but I know it’ll end up like the old days too. I’m sure I’ll go on having cravings a few times a month for the rest of my days, but that’s no big deal. I’ve been well and truly beaten by alcohol, so the only option is to avoid it. My friends had no problem with this. Anyway, I’ve also got new friends who drink occasionally if at all.

Sorry again about the 2.5 year relapse. You know that yesterday has to be your last ever drink. Memorable day for it though 🙂

Old 07-12-2021, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Reroute! I'd be dead if I drank 15 pints let alone Jaeger on top! I'm glad you found us and welcome! We are here to support you every step of the way! You made a great decision by coming here.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the community reroute

D
Old 07-12-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yey glad you are here!

You never have to feel this way again ❤