Notices

Feeling different

Old 07-11-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling different

I don’t know if it’s because I fell on Friday night and my face is all banged up, which I guess you could call my rock bottom, but I feel different this time. I feel committed to my sobriety. As many of you know, I’ve been in and out of these rooms for lots of years now and haven’t been successfully sober for any long period of time. I pray that alcohol will never touch my lips again. I picked up my white chip yesterday at AA and went to a meeting today. I’ve been in touch with my sponsor although she’s on vacation. I really don’t want to mess this up. I think my whole issue was that I wasn’t fully committed. I wanted to be sober but also wanted to drink. I never really gave AA a chance before. And I want so badly what they have so I will keep going back. There are a lot of different views on the AA method and other methods and I will just have to keep what is relevant to me or my beliefs and leave the rest. They talk a lot of finding and giving your life over to your higher power and even though I understand what they meant, I never truly grasped it until now. I’ve given everything to God. I can’t do this without him.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian! Hopefully that "feeling different" is the real deal for you this time. And hopefully it is for me too as, on my latest sober run, I have developed that same feeling as well. Every time I am tempted to drink I just think about what the hangover will be like, how I won't enjoy being drunk as much as I think I will, and how the short term release is in no way, shape, or form worth the damage it will cause. It truly does feel different this time and that feeling has been working well for me as I have, in 9 short weeks, passed many tests so far. Keep that feeling with you and move forwards with it. You can do it!
Old 07-11-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I don’t know if it’s because I fell on Friday night and my face is all banged up, which I guess you could call my rock bottom, but I feel different this time. I feel committed to my sobriety. As many of you know, I’ve been in and out of these rooms for lots of years now and haven’t been successfully sober for any long period of time. I pray that alcohol will never touch my lips again. I picked up my white chip yesterday at AA and went to a meeting today. I’ve been in touch with my sponsor although she’s on vacation. I really don’t want to mess this up. I think my whole issue was that I wasn’t fully committed. I wanted to be sober but also wanted to drink. I never really gave AA a chance before. And I want so badly what they have so I will keep going back. There are a lot of different views on the AA method and other methods and I will just have to keep what is relevant to me or my beliefs and leave the rest. They talk a lot of finding and giving your life over to your higher power and even though I understand what they meant, I never truly grasped it until now. I’ve given everything to God. I can’t do this without him.
That was my problem too ( the first bolded statement above ). I'm glad you've found a path forward and a plan to do so. The second bolded statement will indeed solve the problem created by the first one too, no matter if it's the current AA group or any other. Stay vigilant, follow your plan and you will succeed.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Stay vigilant, follow your plan and you will succeed.
I was open minded to any other solution than AA. If I want to succeed I have to be open minded about ALL options. And so far it’s helping me more than anything else I’ve done.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroubleAfoot View Post
It truly does feel different this time and that feeling has been working well for me as I have, in 9 short weeks, passed many tests so far.
Congrats!!
Old 07-11-2021, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, accepting your situation and being fully committed are things that will definitely help you get and stay sober.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew I was going to succeed when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yes for AA to really work you need to put basically your whole life into it. All the time you would have spent drinking, now into AA.
Or so I hear, personally I liked the steps and learning, but I couldn't not possibly accommodate what my sponsor was asking of me. Don't settle on your sponsor, that is the best advice I have!! Pick someone who you really get along with and know.
I'm so happy that you feel you're ready to commit to it.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jillian - That's how I felt the last time I relapsed & came here to SR. Something was different. I was oddly calm, even though I was disgusted with myself & had a big mess to clean up.
I knew in my heart I couldn't continue pretending I had any control over the amounts I drank. I was exhausted from trying to be a social drinker. It was no longer fun or of any use at all. I never went back.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

>I think my whole issue was that I wasn’t fully committed. I wanted to be sober but also wanted to drink.

I think that's a pretty standard thing to feel when you first start trying to get sober. I would have done anything to be able to keep drinking and to not have a downside to it. I had to accept that drinking ONLY had a downside, and that despite my desire to keep drinking, I needed to get sober to stay alive. I still wish I could drink even though I'm committed to my sobriety. We're only human. Wanting to drink doesn't mean you're not committed to sobriety.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this time be your time Jillian

D
Old 07-11-2021, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patcha View Post
>I still wish I could drink even though I'm committed to my sobriety. We're only human. Wanting to drink doesn't mean you're not committed to sobriety.
I like the way you worded that. It sums up "you have to be disciplined" without making it sound so daunting.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jillian2563, I here solid determination in your post, you'll do it. I just made 11 years sober yesterday and if I can do it so can you. Rootin for ya.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you can make this time be your time Jillian

D
I hope so too! Day 3 and getting ready for chiropractor and AA. 🙂
Old 07-12-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good plan, Jillian.

Keep it going.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Was the same for me Jillian. I wanted to be sober, but also wanted to drink. Eventually the cons outweighed the pros and there was absolutely nothing that alcohol could offer me outside of despair and regret. It had run its course. Fell flat on my face too. And the rest.

Congratulations on 3 days Jillian, and further congrats on reaching the point where you want to be sober more than you want to drink.

It is so much better Jillian.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Go get it Jillian! Have a great day!