Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 09 - 12 July 2021

Notices

“Is it worth sweating the small stuff” - Weekenders 09 - 12 July 2021

Old 07-09-2021, 05:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I have a cousin in Charlotte. I guess I could text him and ask if they're still above sea level. I do not miss the storms, even though I did love the drama of them. When I was young and not having the worry of losing my home.

Congrats on your nuptials, Free2Be. Maybe this marriage can be alcohol free!

Manta, a camp out at the sea sounds fantastic. Did you pack your snorkeling gear and wetsuit?
Old 07-09-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

While there ain't all that much favorable about getting older, that and Sobriety sho make me blow off a whole lotta irrelevant 'stuff'. One Exercise I've used is to ask myself: what concerned me so much exactly 1 Year ago today? Of course, about none of us can remember. Save some kinda-rare, critical Life Event. This Mental Exercise puts into focus how a lot of stuff that seems so critical right now actually isn't. So, I hold that thought to calibrate Perspective. Also, as I slog through challenges like truly awful Whiplash circa 1990, or sobering up, I find I graduate Boot Camp incrementally. Crisis handling becomes embedded, and getting through *stuff* becomes easier. And, doesn't crank up the Stress Byproducts as much. Another positive knock-on effect is that I'm left more reserve to face true crises when my default state is to remained kinda chilled.

After his grooming session this Week, MesaPup was chillin' in the back of my Truck while getting ready to go raise Hell at the Dog Park. His Coat color variations from Mom & Dad really contrasted. Cracks me up!

Thanks, Mags. This is yet another good Topic for us to contemplate, and adjust to.

107 F [42 C] today down in the Valley below. So, 102 F or so up here. Yowzah Bowzah!

Here's a Song for you, Free. All the best to my fellow Coloradoan...

'Marriage is a fine Institution. But, who wants to live in an Institution'? ~ Groucho Marx

'All Right Now' ~ Free

Old 07-09-2021, 07:48 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks Mesa!

Loved looking at the tight pants (I’m married, not dead&#129299 and the 70’s hairdos !

And yes, Everything’s gonna be alright now.......

57 degrees F here in the mountains, grueling 86 for the hi temp. At this elevation, the sun will peel your skin.

Dont regret moving from GJ, like visiting March, April, October.

Really enjoy reading your posts Mags, they inspire so many others to post ideas and thoughts. Thank you again.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:52 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim-I’m acting like I’m sober. I am. Sober people don’t cave in to the BEAST. One way to not do that is let/allow yourself be overwhelmed by the small stuff. Not doing that.

Dr Free is fixing the ballast transformer in the fluorescent light fixture in bathroom. Glad he knows medicine AND handyman work. I offered to flip the light switch on......😂😂😂
Old 07-09-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hope the plumber comes today Mags!
Have a great day all.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

You too, Aly!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:28 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Evening, Weekenders! I’m late again and have posts to catch up on.

This afternoon I suddenly thought that one of the perks of being sober is that if I tell someone “I am doing well, thanks” I actually feel like I mean it.

Aly, I think in the previous thread you asked what kind of bird is nesting in my garden. It is quite a colorful (red, black, yellow and white plumage) woodpecker. It’s what I’d call a medium sized bird as garden birds go, I’d say about 15cm tall when standing and about 8cm across. I couldn’t guess it’s wingspan.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:29 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Sounds fantastic. I don't think I've actually seen one in person, he sounds kind of big and pretty.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:30 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Free2!

Fingers crossed no more climate drama or floods this weekend for all you Floridians. From 1958 here's a pretty little Renault Florida (a Floride in France) It was rear engined and the styling is by Carrozzia Ghia. They didn't make many.

Attached Images
Old 07-09-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have a cousin in Charlotte. I guess I could text him and ask if they're still above sea level. I do not miss the storms, even though I did love the drama of them. When I was young and not having the worry of losing my home.

Congrats on your nuptials, Free2Be. Maybe this marriage can be alcohol free!

Manta, a camp out at the sea sounds fantastic. Did you pack your snorkeling gear and wetsuit?

CityBoy and Bim, the flooding is in North Port, Florida; the flood water will eventually dump into Charlotte Harbor close to Port Charlotte, Florida.

Some areas of North Port had over 10” of rain. We, just a few miles from the flooded area, had about 6”.

The link below is a good map of the area. When enlarger a bit, it shows the Myakka River and it’s relation to North Port, as well as Charlotte Harbor.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...70333?hl=en-us
Old 07-09-2021, 10:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Cool car, Sao.

Kaily, those yurts look like fun for the kids.

Mags, hope that plumber shows his face today.

And love to all. The Weekend is upon us; we know what to do.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Saou, that is a very cute car.

Soberleigh, I'm sure the flood waters will straighten out soon. We haven't done a family trip down there in about 10 years, but the beaches there are very beautiful.

The local fire-rescue is doing a free CRP training from 6 to 8 tonight so I called to sign us up. Good a way as any to spend a Friday night, eh? Would not have been a possibility before as drinking would have started on Friday by 3 or 4 at the latest.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:42 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

That is a good thing to do Cityboy.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:49 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good article and report on flooding:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QPCTGvQwvffiUQ
Old 07-09-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders

Congratulations Free2 on your wedding. I love the photo. How far in the distance are the mountains? They look both so near and so far away at the same time.

Congratulations Haris on 1 year of sobriety tomorrow - that is an incredible milestone.

Hopefully the weather will improve for posters in the US. I sometimes complain about the English weather but it's rare to have extremes of anything (heat, rain, wind or snow and cold / ice) for more than a day or two. For that I am grateful.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Haha Bim, it’s not really snorkelling territory in the UK but I did bring my swimming costume and toying with the idea of going for a cold water swim in the bay first thing! This place is heavenly, so peaceful and watched some dolphins playing in the bay earlier. Been down to the beach and just sat watching the waves roll in and out for an hour. I really needed this trip, it’s so perfect here I am almost crying lol!!

Huge congrats on your nuptials Free xx

Old 07-09-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

sounds great Manta, enjoy your trip
Old 07-09-2021, 02:50 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Enjoy your trip Manta. Watching and listening to the waves roll in and out is so relaxing.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Have a great time, manta.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Enjoy your trip Manta.