Notices

Anyone give up sugar and wheat?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Thanks to both of you - fantastic results are possible it seems.

LHW - I already don't eat many refined carbs except umm, some desserts.. but no white bread, rice or potatoes. Definitely pasta though, at least once a week. Interesting about the carrots and beets. Have to lose the desserts.

AR - you too, fantastic job. That must be a high protein diet. I probably eat 20% protein, 20% fat, 60% carbs.. the old way of eating for those of us who were endurance athletes. Way too much carbs for my activity level now for sure.
Yes i only do it for about 6-10 weeks at a time, then need to take a break. It's exhausting eating so much protein, haha
Old 07-09-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I get that, but it's mainly relevant with respect to weight gain or loss. Once a person becomes pre-diabetic or diabetic, their insulin response and blood sugar levels begins to get messed up, and at that point IT DOES matter what macro nutrients your diet is comprised of. Excess carbs begin to become a problem.
That's a really good point! Did not think of that!
Old 07-09-2021, 04:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sage

It really helps to know to what foods you have sensitivities and allergies. I'm allergic to wheat and milk, so those caused a lot of systemic inflammation, bloating, and weight gain. Your gut biome is very good at sending signals to cause you to crave things you shouldn't have (for me, gluten and sugar). If you can stop eating the things you shouldn't have and replenish your gut biome with a good, healthy biome by taking probiotics and /or eating foods with active cultures, this will help turn things around. I satisfy my sweets cravings with fruit, or sometimes I will bake gluten free, using applesauce and honey as sweeteners.

If you look at a diet, like keto, and you can't envision yourself able to eat what's on the diet, don't set yourself up for failure. We all thrive on different kinds of foods; choose what you feel you can manage.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I like the whole food plant based diet, but right now I'm eating anything I want. I actually was on the diet before I started being sober this time, (I had to make a few tries at the sober thing). I was doing lots of leafy greens, vegetables and fruit and then drinking a huge amount of rum and coke to top it off.
Really, I do think sugar and white flour are really bad for you and I do plan to get back to healthy eating as soon as I feel a bit more stable. I'm on day 9.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a big waste of calories. Once you complete the 180 challenge, you’ll see a difference if you don’t change anything else in diet.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, great feedback. I have cut down on wheat and carbs but not completely. Realized it's not the time, considering I'm also trying to complete the 180 DAY Challenge. Have had some carb cravings so not gonna shoot myself in the foot. Maybe in a couple weeks.

That said, here's how it works for me with sugar. While I was at the grocery store yesterday I bought a 4-pack of nice, kinda fancy but small Tillamook Ice cream sandwiches. I thought I would have one each night. Should have known better. Had one, yummy.. then another, then half an hour later another. And finally, why leave one lonely one in the box? Sigh... so much for that. I can't keep stuff like that in the house. Thankfully they were pretty small.. but still.. big load of sugar.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
nez

That said, here's how it works for me with sugar. While I was at the grocery store yesterday I bought a 4-pack of nice, kinda fancy but small Tillamook Ice cream sandwiches. I thought I would have one each night.
I couldn't help but to laugh because I can't moderate my ice cream eating any better than I can moderate my drinking. I had to go cold turkey on ice cream because all the little tricks at moderating I tried, only fooled myself. Just like with alcohol, after a few years ice cream free, I thought I was cured...WRONG...I am now at about 3 months ice cream free after going cold turkey once again. :~)

Old 07-10-2021, 03:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That said, here's how it works for me with sugar. While I was at the grocery store yesterday I bought a 4-pack of nice, kinda fancy but small Tillamook Ice cream sandwiches. I thought I would have one each night. Should have known better. Had one, yummy.. then another, then half an hour later another. And finally, why leave one lonely one in the box? Sigh... so much for that. I can't keep stuff like that in the house. Thankfully they were pretty small.. but still.. big load of sugar.
This is soooo me! I can't have just one of anything!
Old 07-11-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveHateWhine View Post
My brother was very much overweight and stopped eating “anything white” a few years ago. Bread, pasta, sugar, dairy. Also no alcohol, but he was a non-drinker to begin with. He eliminated high sugar veggies, such as beets and carrots. He did this under a doctors care and lost 150 pounds in about 2 years, maybe less.
150 pounds? That's truly incredible. I've heard of it, but never knew anyone that saw it actually happen. How is your brother doing now? How has his life changed because of it?
Old 07-11-2021, 06:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi! I cut out wheat at about 5 weeks sober. now I am around the 7 month mark. It was the best thing. However, I did have a lot of weight to lose. like 55 pounds. I have lost 38 so far. Sugar came a bit later around the 2 month mark of sobriety. I think I had a serious sugar addiction along with alcohol. So when I quit alcohol I just replaced it with sugar and had secret stashes of peanut butter cups in various places around the house!!! ( I would get up and eat handfuls of them) Bread was the same thing.. I still eat all the veggies and fruit so I would not say I am strictly Keto but I lean in that direction. Also, intermittent fasting. I will eat within a window of 12pm-6pm. So far I don't feel at all deprived but it was all a gradual thing. Each change was very small and now I am here and it's working. What I have noticed is that I am much more grounded and have less fluctuating moods. However I think that can also just because I am not drinking anymore.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've been eating low carb with intermittend fasting consistenly for the past week and I hardly have any cravings for sweets. Hallelujah. I'm not measuring and tracking anything just trying to listen to my body. I was even able to do a 72 hour fast which I haven't been able to for a long while. It feel amazing, I'm a lot calmer, my mind is clearer and relaxed and I'm not hungry. Amazing.

Congratulations to your fantastic weightlosses

I found this speech about sugar and carbs on youtube. It's a bit lengthy but worth watching, even in stages.
The Bittersweet Truth
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I’m doing the fasting too, I do 16 hours of fasting and then eat smart in an 8 hour window. No liquor is helping a lot. I still have 5 to 7 more pounds to lose, and it’s been difficult. My body is fighting me the entire way, but I’m almost there. the last 5 pounds seem to Be the hardest. I lost 15 pounds so far.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Whole30 is a great option when you’re trying to reframe your relationship with food. You’ll learn to really appreciate fresh fruit in favor of the sweets. I love eating blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple etc.

Nowadays I still hit the sweets, but in moderation alongside a mostly Mediterranean diet. But the “shock” of Whole30 helped me get there and opened me up to daily cooking and countless food combinations.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to coke (as in the soda), but I always buy Zero. As for wheat, I'm not sure... how much of it is there in bread?
Old 08-07-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Congrats on your weightloss FloRida, fingers crossed you'll hit your goal soon. My body is quite insulin resistent so I'm loosing weight really slowly. The intermittend fasting helps to give the body a break and I'm hoping to reverse it.
Evoo, thanks for the Whole30 tip, I'll look it up. I love mediterranean cooking. The cooking smells reminds me of holidays....
I used to drink to lot of sodas Polaroid but managed to change to sparkling water...
Old 08-07-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Chips, cookies, cakes, pies, out of the house. Oatmeal
with blueberries, seeds, nuts, all healthy ones for breakfast,
some type of fish and veggies, lentils for lunch, sardines
are another protein, low fat cottage cheese with strawberries,
blueberries, sunflower seeds and cacoa nibs, watermellon,
apples, oranges and a treat of ice cream or popcorn once
in awhile. No alcohol and gardening for exercise.

This is what is working for me.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Low carb, low calorie intermittent fasting is working for me at the moment.
It really helps with alcohol cravings as well as food cravings.
I am an addict and can't have 'just one' of anything - so getting my sugar / carb cravings under control is important.
They're all linked for me and a carb binge leads to an alcohol binge and vice versa.
I'm only 12 days in but I feel so much better.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I've followed Paleo since January 2019. A lot of things improved cutting out refined sugar, grains, dairy, and processed foods. I feel better. I did lose some hormonal weight also but it wasn't the only reason I tried it. Most Paleo folks that want to lose weight will tell you to cut carbs drastically but for me, carbs are very necessary---it's just where they come from. So all of that to encourage you to try it and modify it to fit your needs. It's not a one size fits all. However, most people eat a lot of processed food whether that is at restaurants, fast food, or from their own kitchen. Processed food is poison.