Notices

Tips on managing stress?

Old 07-06-2021, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Tips on managing stress?

I am having a really hard time with work lately. Last week I worked about 60 or more hours of high stress work while my coworkers were off. This included overnight and days.
I was okay.
This week my coworkers are still off, but it's so busy I don't feel like I'm doing everything I can, and I'm so stressed I'm like an inch away from vomiting.
I couldn't even eat today and then at 7 i binged a gross greasy chicken burger and a piece of cake which I never eat.
my heart is absolutely racing and I cant stop thinking about work. I took my anxiety meds in hopes it would help, and also some melatonin but I'm still having a panic attack.
I dont know how to deal with this. Any tips would be great. I don't want to drink but sometimes it seems like the easy choice.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to relax and breathe deep and just concentrate on your breathing in and out no other thoughts
Old 07-06-2021, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Work has caused me a lot of anxiety over the years, and drinking will certainly not help - it will do the opposite unfortunately.

Breathing exercises, taking a walk, calming music sometimes works for me in the moment, and you do have meds as you say.

Have you spoken with your supervisor at all about the stress level and workload? Perhaps they could help re-arrange things so they aren't so stressful in the first place. It's entirely possible that they don't know you are feeling this way and thing everything is OK so they just keep piling on the work.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Controlled breathing and progressive muscle relaxation come first to mind AR. Scott's tips too.

Can you take a break from work? You come first, not the boss. I also know we need money.

You are doing so great anxiousrock. Keep caring for yourself.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are one person. One. Tell yourself that. There is only so much that one person can do. Do the best you can in the moments that you have. Speak with your superiors.

Deep breaths. Refocus. Take your medication and do not drink. You got this!
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thank you everyone. I was laid off for a long time due to the pandemic.
my manager is still laid off and my coworker had a last minute surgery. Due to some of of changes inrestrictions in canada my work load increased ten fold the last 2 weeks and since i am still working from home, I can't leave my work in the office like I used to, I just dwell on everything.
the anxiety im experiencing is so severe I'm thinking of taking. 5mg lorazepam my Dr prescribed me a long time ago but never took.

I'm taking everyone's advise. I put on a non stressful cartoon in the background and I'm going to try to just breath. But I keep getting distracted by thoughts and then the panic sets in again.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Oh and i also went for a walk in the park earlier to look at the ducks and geese, but the second I got home again....panic.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'd tell your employer what you are going through and see if there are any suggestions. If not, I can't see how they can expect a stellar job performance from you under those circumstances. Go easy on yourself to the extent you can.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Thank you everyone. I was laid off for a long time due to the pandemic.
my manager is still laid off and my coworker had a last minute surgery. Due to some of of changes inrestrictions in canada my work load increased ten fold the last 2 weeks and since i am still working from home, I can't leave my work in the office like I used to, I just dwell on everything.
the anxiety im experiencing is so severe I'm thinking of taking. 5mg lorazepam my Dr prescribed me a long time ago but never took.

I'm taking everyone's advise. I put on a non stressful cartoon in the background and I'm going to try to just breath. But I keep getting distracted by thoughts and then the panic sets in again.
If you have a prescribed med for the anxiety then I do hope you take it.
The med is for moments just like the one you are experiencing.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You should be getting a pay rise AR.

Can you set limits on the work you do at home? Set yourself a timeframe in which to work? The rest of the day being yours to do with as you please. Time for music, relaxation, non stressful cartoons.

Howling at the moon. 🐺

Time for you, anxiousrock.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
You should be getting a pay rise AR.

Can you set limits on the work you do at home? Set yourself a timeframe in which to work? The rest of the day being yours to do with as you please. Time for music, relaxation, non stressful cartoons.

Howling at the moon. 🐺

Time for you, anxiousrock.
I dont know what to do, it keeps getting worse and I can't handle this and I do need time off work the issue is that there is no one else in my office right now....they are either laid off or just off.

I've taken on too much and I think I made a big error and now I'm losing my mind with stress/panic attack and i don't know what to do.
my fiance is getting mad at me because I am not myself but I just feel like curling into a ball and crying.
I want to take the ativan to try to sleep but I took melatonin and wellbutrin already and I dont know if they react.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm just freaking out. I can't handle this anymore.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You’re not alone. Tell your colleagues, tell your supervisor - list the projects and tasks that you are expected to complete and explain what you can realistically achieve. You deserve to be treated with respect.

I wish you well.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Phone your doctor and see if these drugs are contraindicated AR.

I am loathe to suggest benzos at all AR. I had horror show withdrawing from Valium. In very short term they are still prescribed tho. Personally I'd never take one again.

Phone your doctor AR see if contraindicated.

I'd definitely discuss with employer. This is not part of your job description.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some tips here too AR.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)

I hope you can find someone above you at work who can help.

D
Old 07-06-2021, 09:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nothing is worth this level of stress, you have owned the problems for them but taken on way too much. Be kind to yourself. Quit if necessary.

For immediate relief try the 4-7-8 breathing technique from Andrew Weil - it has really helped me in times of extreme anxiety. I sometimes also do it at night to sleep. The more you use it the better it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8fjYPC-k2k
Old 07-06-2021, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone. I broke down crying and called the pharmacy. They said to take the ativan but I'm still crying and shaking.
I will talk to my sales manager tomorrow but it may be too late for this error.
Hopefully errors and omissions will cover the $2400 if that's what it comes to.

There has to be a better way too live.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are going through this AR. It is indeed no way to live. There are many opportunities right now for those who have your work ethic that do not involve this kind of stress and emotional pain. Something is not right with that situation and it appears abusive. I strongly suggest you consider another career or employer. Wishing for you better days ahead. Be strong and take care of yourself.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this AR. It is indeed no way to live. There are many opportunities right now for those who have your work ethic that do not involve this kind of stress and emotional pain. Something is not right with that situation and it appears abusive. I strongly suggest you consider another career or employer. Wishing for you better days ahead. Be strong and take care of yourself.
all of this. I love my job but this isn't okay

Also want to make it clear I do not rely on drugs. I've taken maybe 10 ativan in my life, most of them on a plane because I'm a bad flyer.
I usually make it out of these panic attacks better by today was different.
I am still awake and upset but not able to really do much.

at least I didn't reach for the bottle, I guess?
Old 07-07-2021, 12:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done anxiousrock.

I don't think anyone here thinks you rely on drugs.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.