Notices

180 Day Challenge

Old 07-06-2021, 01:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm in.....eeek bit scary but the whole point is learning to live sober. I am the same as you too Ad....I fall on my face after a couple of months. Happy to be part of the club (secret handshake included!) x
Old 07-06-2021, 07:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome pline, brb2020, sortofhomecomin and Gabe1980! Honored to have you in the Challenge.

We can do this!
Old 07-06-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Still open for those who want to challenge themselves..

Just think how good it will feel to look back on 6 months of sobriety at the beginning of the new year.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Starting Day 2 for me. Looking forward to this challenge and the engagement with others doing it.

My sobriety story real quick: I have 3 kids that I share 50/50 with a supportive ex-wife. I have a full time job as an engineer and I’m about to start graduate school. I’ve drank alcoholicly on and off for 31 years. I’m 45 now. The last ten years of my drinking was pretty extreme. Lots of police, lots of missing work, but mostly just dark despair and loneliness. I have been to 4 IOPs, medical detoxes, sent to an institution against my will, and tons of AA meetings. I’ve had sponsors (good and bad). I’ve had six months of sobriety twice, and 4 months many times. As you are reading this I have 23 days. But in the past year I’ve only drank about 16-18 days by my count. That means I have been sober 95% of the days in the last year which is a huge improvement for me. But every few months I convince myself that I can risk throwing my life away for a week long binge. And I want to cut that out.

What I do to stay sober: I go to 2-3 AA meetings a week (no exceptions). I’ve also been going to
church which has been a new and good addition to my life. Medically I see a psychiatrist and take Antabuse (the medicine that makes you sick of you drink). On my to do list this week is to get a therapist. I also try to live my life the way the AA program tells me to. I pray and I hand my problems over to God (as I understand him) as much as possible. I post on SR and I don’t take that first drink.

I’m looking forward to this challenge. I’ll try to post every day. From the folks doing the challenge I’m looking for support and for you to share your struggles so I can be of service. If you don’t want my input maybe just put a disclaimer that you’re just venting and I’ll keep my grubby little thoughts out of it.

Here we go!
Old 07-06-2021, 09:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fantastic share, BABM. Thanks for getting that ball rolling.

I also have faced the problem of staying quit. I had two years sobriety when married, in my 30's, but when my wife and I divorced I fell apart and picked up again. I even smoked briefly, haha.. what an addict! Then some brief periods of sobriety while in the peak of my career in my mid 40's but could never get more than about 90 days, due to extreme management stress, weekly travel, and dating. I dialed back the career and moderated much better in my 50's, but never realized that controlling the quantity still kept me in the addiction, and as a result my other issues of codependency and relationship problems never went away. This is the big fallacy of moderation - we are still fighting a battle, which comes at the expense of our personal growth in other areas.

At 57 I quit for over 3 years with the help of this site, and had an amazing string of adventures - early retirement, overseas travel, a new relationship.. but once again threw it away during a period of stress and heavy emotional reflection. That has been my longest sobriety ever, but since then I have not drank more than about 150-180 drinks a year at most. Yes, I track every one... did I mention I also have some mild OCD? I am still in a LD relationship and spend months overseas most years, I do not drink there because my GF has two boys that I love dearly and do not want to see me drink, as I saw my father do. I am 66, in good health, a regular road and mountain bike cyclist and also love camping, motorcycles, photography, exploring new cultures.

I'm really looking forward to gaining 6 months - I believe it will get me back on track to continuous sobriety again.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great to know more about you AB. I can really relate to your story. The quitting and picking up. I also went off the rails after my divorce, not because I missed her, just because I could. I also don't want to be fighting this stuff in my 50s and 60s, no offense. I already feel like I should have outgrown this affliction, but in some ways it has just gotten so much worse, but I have more drive to stay clean these days...more tools. We're also really close geographically so you will understand when I complain about the sweltering heat in the summer, lol. Well, here we are, already day two. Full speed ahead.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks BABM, I sincerely hope you aren't fighting it at my age either, although in retrospect it has gotten easier in some ways. I have gained emotional stability over time, but not as quickly as I could have. I hope to live a long an adventurous life, but we never know how long we have so I have learned to appreciate every single day, even each moment can be precious.

No kidding about the heat. I took a 2 hour bike ride this morning and it was brutal. Late start, blah blah, won't do that again.

Yes, Day Two well underway. We are going to kill this thing! Hope some of the others check in..
Old 07-06-2021, 01:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I love this idea and I will join, too. I'm Karen and I am on day six. I live in Georgia, so I can also complain about the heat.
I've had a lifelong issue with this, too. My longest stretch of sobriety was 2 years. I had 9 months last year but lost it all in January and have only put together a few weeks at a time since then, mostly I've been drinking up until July 1.
I'm also sort of retired, I do plan to go back to work but I've been off since the start of Covid. I worked in a nursing home so...
I'm looking forward to this. It will be a great motivator. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2021, 01:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Greetings challenge mates,
It's day 2 for the challenge and day 37 overall. I remain solid in my conviction to remain free from the devils elixir. I'm of the opinion that we never outgrow our malady of alcoholism so I'm not even going to waste my time hoping for the day that it goes away. Thinking you are cured of it after a good amount of sobriety time is a killer. I know because I fell for it..........Stay strong my friends for the wily conniver lurks in unforeseen places!!
Old 07-06-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Karen, we can all do this together!

Great to see you Boondock. I can tell you're in this for the long run, my friend. Glad to have you on the team.

My AV is a piece of work, let me tell you. It knows all my weaknesses and can strike with lightning speed when the moment is right, or take the long view, biding it's time in the shadows. But we gain strength and armor with time.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think it's funny to describe the AV in medieval ways.....eg...Tread lightly my friend, for the AV is practiced in the dark arts of deception and housed since childhood with learned sorcerers....lol
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am in, if the challenge is still open for takers? - 180 sober days around the world - we can take in some sights as we go...
Old 07-06-2021, 02:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 2 for challenge; day 4 personally. My story: Heavy drinker from age 14 until 29 (stopped during pregnancy),then binge drinker (about weekly) after my daughter was 1 year old. Stopped completely with AA for 15 years. Then started back as I had stopped going to AA and my daughter was going through the fairly typical angst of life between ages of 17-22. I found this to be extremely stressful and did not have the tools to meet that challenge. By the way, she is now 32 and one of the best people I have ever known--no way I raised that woman--God definitely raised her and gave me the incredible privilege of being called her Mom. Have continued to binge drink with varying times between binges--sometimes binges last for days, then 3 months without, then a binge weekend, and a few weeks of not drinking. I'm back to 12 step meetings and settling into acceptance that I am unable to control my drinking. It is stinging and humbling to admit my defeat, but there is no denying it for me. One day at a time.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awesome, we have a good group going. Welcome home ishall. I have a 13 year old daughter that oscillates between hating me and barely being able to tolerate me. It is tough, but fellowship of AA and all that I pick up talking to other alcoholics and other parents has helped a lot.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So glad to have you here, ishallnotwant, I apologize that I missed greeting you yesterday. Thank you for your great story, seems many of us have the same issues - no surprise I guess. Welcome Dusty Fox, of course you are welcome and so glad to have you in the Challenge!
Old 07-06-2021, 06:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
over hung over

Morning.
Good to be here.
This group is a good idea......set a goal, the monthly classes are great, but so many just fade in the subsequent weeks.
Hope to contribute as time goes on.
I get 20 - 30 days then fall out of sobriety. Been trying to convince myself that I can just get trashed on Saturdays, and have the rest of the week sober and productive. But, as we all know, it doesn't work that way.
Longest I've done was maybe, 120-30 days. Today I'm a week into the current sober run.
180 days? I'd really like to see what's over that hill.
Later
Old 07-06-2021, 07:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Fantastic to have you here pline. The mental and emotional benefits of sobriety really begin to accrue with time, in my experience. Not to say they aren't huge at 30-60-90 days.. when compared to drinking they are. But the general peace of mind and reduced anxiety I have experienced beyond 90 days, and more so at 6-12 months and beyond was really good. That's why I want it again.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I got scammed out of $1000 today when I tried to buy my son and I tickets to the NBA Finals game today. I’m disappointed but just incredibly resilient at the same time. I actually told my son that I don’t want to hurt the person that did it, I want for them to grow to regret their act and be a better person. Growth.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:25 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
over hung over

[QUOTE=advbike;7663774The mental and emotional benefits of sobriety really begin to accrue with time, in my experience.[/QUOTE]
Yes...so true.
I seem to have been leading 2 lives, the drunk and the sober. Sober is productive and peaceful. Tho I tend to pink cloud along for the initial few weeks, then social isolation accumulates and the liquor starts calling. I seem to alternate between the two. 6 months seems long enough to get some feel for what the long term people on here talk about in such glowing terms. I get bored of sober and just want some 'time out'. Which then takes me so far from the other life. So...this is a chance to try and break the pattern.

BABM.....you are being v generous to this problem. A degree of wisdom I couldn't bring to it at this point. Treating it like that is a great thing to do.
ok...
Is this Day 2 of the challenge?
Old 07-06-2021, 08:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

IM IN! Lets do this, Peeps!