Notices

Quit Lit

Old 07-04-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Quit Lit

I love reading all things related to sobriety and quitting - from memoirs to scientific journals on neuroplasticity, to alternative methods of abstinence.

What are your recommendations regarding "must reads" in regards to the sobriety journey ?

T.I.A
Old 07-04-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've seen the book list, right? I don't think there's any of them that aren't helpful in one way or another. I probably read 30-40 self-help books, not all of them about sobriety. They're all on that list.

Just start.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 07-04-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good question I will be tracking answers. Thanks for that
Old 07-04-2021, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You've seen the book list, right? I don't think there's any of them that aren't helpful in one way or another. I probably read 30-40 self-help books, not all of them about sobriety. They're all on that list.

Just start.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
I hadnt Bim thanks !
Old 07-04-2021, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Alcoholics Anonymous" (also known as "the Big Book").

Old 07-04-2021, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ahh...Books about the devils elixir. If you want to read a book as much about not drinking as it is about drinking...John Barleycorn by Jack London
" Wander with me through one mood of the myriad of moods of sadness into which one is plunged by John Barleycorn"
" I ride out over my beautiful ranch, Between my legs is a beautiful horse. The air is fine....and yet, with jaundiced eye, I gaze upon all the beauty and wonder about me, and with jaundiced brain consider the pitiful figure I cut in this world that endured so long without me and that will again endure without me."
" White logic an abysmal compulsion that surrounds me with a white fog while the alcohol does its job of blacking it out."
It's an alcoholic auto - biography before the days of recovery....It's drinking stories mixed with the inevitable consequences of his actions.
And ultimately the cause of his death.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For fun, watch a documentary called "Fed Up". It is about the food industry and the damage done to our bodies from the consumption of sugar. It all translates directly to ingesting alcohol - the human body's most preferred form of sugar. It is so illuminating to the physiology of all of it.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RAL

If you are female 'quit like a woman' by holly Whitaker. Just reading it now. Very enlightening
Old 07-04-2021, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

AO, the Book List is full of titles recommended by our members and it's an awesome tool.

My must reads:

The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav
Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp
Old 07-04-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I recently read " Alcohol Explained" by William Porter.

In fact it did explain many things - why only a few drinks were ruining my sleep, why I get the massive anxiety and rumination at 3 AM,. and why some folks start drinking around the clock. Very insightful..
Old 07-04-2021, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boondock - I love Jack London but have never read it - sounds fantastic - need something to keep my mind occupied at the moment.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, I forgot to mention in Porter's book he explains why, over time, we forget how bad it was. And tend to think we can moderate, lol..
Old 07-04-2021, 09:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

“The Heart of Addiction” by Lance Dodes. He almost perfectly describes the feeling of being trapped that led me to compulsive drinking as a coping mechanism.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went through dozens of books on alcoholism, sobriety etc when i first got sober, can't say any stick out in my mind. Trying to think lol, there must have been one surely?! Yeah i'd say read the Big Book too.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dry by Augusten Burroughs
Old 07-04-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The Unexpected Joy of Sobriety.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the link to the list biminiblue - wow what a huge selection! I have found reading historic threads here immensely helpful
Old 07-04-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I used to love to read, but as I got older I started to feel that authors seem to pad their writing with filler.

Any experienced readers feel this way too?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi D122y

If you mean in terms of books about recovery, the only one I can really think of is Allen Carrs book. He has a 'but wait there's more' style, which nevertheless suits his purpose to draw the reader in and sell the idea of noone needs to drink.

If you mean in terms of books in general, that's probably a topic for a new thread

D
Old 07-05-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
For fun, watch a documentary called "Fed Up". It is about the food industry and the damage done to our bodies from the consumption of sugar. It all translates directly to ingesting alcohol - the human body's most preferred form of sugar. It is so illuminating to the physiology of all of it.
Oh this is right up my alley ! Thank you. Since I have quit I cant believe how much sugar appeals to me now. I used to never eat sugar, and now I find myself walking a fine addictive line with that too. Le sigh.