Notices

Probably for the best

Old 07-02-2021, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Probably for the best

So I had been abusing my Ativan script. I was on my last month and I had an appt with my psychiatrist. He said he was going to prescribe valium or similar. But when I got my meds, there were no benzos. I rang the pharmacy and they said they didn't receive a script.

It's probably a good thing.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if quitting benzos cold turkey like that is advisable I thought people tapered off them.....I don't know I've never taken them, maybe call your doctor
Old 07-02-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I don't know if quitting benzos cold turkey like that is advisable I thought people tapered off them.....I don't know I've never taken them, maybe call your doctor
I ran out on Tuesday and seem to be ok. I hadn't been taking them for too long. The mental health centre is closed so I can't call.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It probably is for the best, FF.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Depending on the half life of the drug Freedom, withdrawal may not set in for a while.

I was taking Valium (long half life) and it was nearly two weeks before I got slammed. This doesn't happen to everyone, but does for some. I think Ativan has short half life in which case withdrawal sets in earlier. .

I'd talk with your doctor Freedom, but in the big scheme think it's a good thing.

Phone the doctor Freedom.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please have a plan of how to deal with anxiety, fear, depression and voices in the absence of the bentos. I would advise you to schedule a follow up appointment with your psych ASAP. For like next week or the week after. If you’re fine by then great. If not, you’ll have an appointment to talk to doc if needed. Hang in there buddy.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
So I had been abusing my Ativan script. I was on my last month and I had an appt with my psychiatrist. He said he was going to prescribe valium or similar. But when I got my meds, there were no benzos. I rang the pharmacy and they said they didn't receive a script.

It's probably a good thing.
Don't get it. Ativan and valium are pretty much the same thing. Why would your doctor prescribe one benzo for a similar benzo? John
PS. I'm no doctor, but my sister has suffered with delusions for a very long time and no doctor has prescribed a benzo to help her deal with that. She is doing much better on non addictive medications. Might want to talk with your doctor about that. There are many meds that help with anxiety and depression that are non addictive. Benzos are old school.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Don't get it. Ativan and valium are pretty much the same thing. Why would your doctor prescribe one benzo for a similar benzo? John
PS. I'm no doctor, but my sister has suffered with delusions for a very long time and no doctor has prescribed a benzo to help her deal with that. She is doing much better on non addictive medications. Might want to talk with your doctor about that. There are many meds that help with anxiety and depression that are non addictive. Benzos are old school.
I asked to go back on lexapro but they didn't want to prescribe it because I've had seizures. But the epilepsy doctor okayed it so I dunno. I'll ask again for lexapro at my next appt.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel a bit let down by the psych team. I know benzos aren't really a good idea but I should be on something for anxiety.

Similarly, I had two full blown psychotic breaks requiring hospitalisation on this anti psychotic and I still hear voices but they haven't increased it or prescribed another one.

I know they want to be cautious because I've had seizures but I've been seizure free since December when I started epilim.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope you can get it sorted, FF! Just hang in there and focus on your sobriety. It's awesome to see how far you've come!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RAL

I know many people take stuff for anxiety, myself included. But not benzos. Many anti depressants are also anti anxiety drugs for long term use. That's what I take. I don't think anyone expects anyone to be drug free if they need it for anxiety etc but there are alternatives to benzos.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been following your journey for the past year, Freedom. We were in the July class together last year. I just wanted to give a little shout out to say I am in your corner and although I can't be of more help, I do read your posts and care about your outcomes. You are working so very hard on your sobriety and mental health and have done great things for yourself. I just wanted to give you some kudos for the progress you've made. It has been no small feat! I am sure your story helps others. It helps me.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaptn View Post
I've been following your journey for the past year, Freedom. We were in the July class together last year. I just wanted to give a little shout out to say I am in your corner and although I can't be of more help, I do read your posts and care about your outcomes. You are working so very hard on your sobriety and mental health and have done great things for yourself. I just wanted to give you some kudos for the progress you've made. It has been no small feat! I am sure your story helps others. It helps me.
Thanks for the lovely post. That was nice to read.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

I don’t think you should cold turkey that Ativan. That’s very risky! Possibly your doctor is prescribing Valium for you to begin tapering your discontinuation of Ativan, since it has a longer half life and additionally, it can be tapered to really small doses.

Ativan, has a half-lifeof up to 18 hours. On the other hand, diazepam, which is the generic name for Valium, has a half-life of up to 48 hours. Therefore, lorazepam (Ativan) is considered an intermediate-acting benzodiazepine, and diazepam is considered a long-acting benzodiazepine.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please please please call your doctor. Years ago I was given Ativan for my anxiety and I was on one pill a day for a couple of months. Then they had upped the dosage. I had finally gone to the bookstore (pre-internet) to read up on the pill and realized what i was taking so I went cold turkey without realizing that I should taper off. Benzos require tapering for sure. Please talk to your doctor. They usually will give you a schedule on how to do it safely.