Notices

Day 3- Feeling alone

Old 06-28-2021, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3- Feeling alone

Day 3 again and I’m feeling incredibly alone. I’ve realized a large part of my drinking is due to the people I surround myself. My family are drinkers, my friends are drinkers, and thus I am a drinker. I know to get sober I must distance myself from those I love, but god is it incredibly lonely and the loneliness makes me only want to drink more. I’m reaching out here because I don’t want to feel alone and I’m wondering if anyone else is feeling this way?
Old 06-28-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats what is great about the fellowship of AA. There is always a meeting somewhere, its just a Google search away. Its somewhere to be for a little while.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gus

By the end all of my day to day friends were drinkers too, but I reconnected with old friends and made new sober ones.
In time I could hang around drinking friends as well so don't believe your inner addict when it says 'this is your new sober life buddy'.

You won't have to sit at home with curtains drawn - I went out with people to the movies, walks, picnics,. met at cafes, museums, etc.

They may not be your interests but I'm sure you have some of your own to follow up on

D
Old 06-28-2021, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gus, the early days of recovery are very difficult. Distancing yourself from people who are drinking is a good idea, at least for awhile. But, you will be able to meet up with people for coffee, walks, etc.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just work day by day. In early recovery I felt so lonely. It felt like the world turned it's back on me. I just took it one day at a time. On the really lonely days I put my head in a book. Something I never did when I was using. I was always a person who liked to exercise so I continued to do so. In my recovery my circle has gotten very small of friends but the quality of friends I have now is priceless. Real friends and family support. Things will get better it just takes time. Take care and keep posting.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes i can relate to feeling that in early sobriety and, tbh, beyond. I saw a great program where a well known reformed problem drinker said that his social life never recovered and he was 30 years sober! That, to me, struck home as in sobriety i have made some new friends but it was nothing like when i was drinking where you could go to a bar or pub or club or anywhere with booze and sit and talk BS with someone you'd just met by having booze in common only! Insobriety there has to be more substance to an exchange of words imo as neither of you are drinking alcohol!! I went to AA myself and i would recommend it in the early days just for the company, i chose to stick around for years but have known other people who went for a few months until they found their feet and then went off to live sober lives, that will depend on what kind of drinker you are though. I would advise that you will have to embrace some form of lonely feelings along the way and accept them but do make an effort to try and replace the human contact in some way, coming on here helps
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gus, Recovery is had and there will be days where you feel down and lonely, But each day you wake up sober you will start to feel like you are doing something really, really good for yourself. Post here lots, it will help you feel less isolated.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I know things will get easier and this is great opportunity to get back into my interests and hobbies. I just have to get
out of my head.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We will all be rooting for you - try and stay busy, keep yourself occupied even if it's just going for walks, cleaning the place, cooking, reading, watching TV, writing a journal. Each day will then become easier.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do it Gus