Notices

Day 8, guilt of drunken mistakes

Old 06-29-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Boy dont I ever understand

The shame weighed me down lower than a pregnant ant.
But what was even worse for me ?
When I'd start a row with my DH, then when I woke up nauseous and panicky the next day, and he would be sullen and I couldnt remember what I had done to warrant that.

Things would just fade to black at a certain point of every night. Not total black outs but brown outs.

Keep on staying on the right side of the bright side.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a hard one. I can not even face thinking about some of the danger I put myself in, or the consequences my drinking had on my life. Most of these memories/events are over a decade ago - when I was a harder drinker and more messed up. At some point I will need to 'forgive' myself and even grieve for 'myself' - probably the best advice is to just stay sober and let time heal.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sobriety is the answer - it will give you the time and space and power to live a life you are proud of.

When these issues come up on SR I always feel compelled to comment that you should make sure to not allow mistakes/regret/shame/the past derail your current sobriety. Ruminating on these failures and regrets can lead to throwing up your hands - I might as well drink! Look at the mess I've made of my life! It's easy to do that, I know I did that for years.

Put down the booze, put down your regrets - the sober life in your future will atone for anything that needs atonement.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I was drunk all the time, the bad was the end of the world and the good was tolerable.
When I'm sober all the time, the bad is tolerable and the good is amazing.

Not only did drinking cause me to make more mistakes, it made the way I felt about those mistakes so much worse.
I make mistakes when I'm sober, but life goes on and I feel fine.