Notices

Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021

Old 06-24-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That's funny....I have a neighbor across the street who hates the leaves from my Oak trees. So every morning he hoses them back over to the edge of my yard... lol...I've also seen him multiple times sitting on the driveway scrubbing little stains with a toothbrush ahhaa!!...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags. I was, indeed, the elephant in the room. So good to lose that dishonor.

What a sad event for the tree and the birds.

In for the Weekend.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In the weekend. I had a neighbor who would trim my hedges at night so they could see the view I had. I asked them to stop so many times. When I sold the house, before the new owners moved in, they destroyed the hedge.

I’m in!
Old 06-24-2021, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

But my hedge was on MY PROPERTY. 🤬
Old 06-24-2021, 07:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yikes, free; that is awful. What a lack of respect for another’s property.

In our last neighborhood, there was a very old Pin Oak whose trunk was on two separate, adjoining parcels. The developer placed a Preservation Easement around the tree which ran to the benefit of one of the owners - the one who had the most visibility of the tree and who also derived the most privacy provided by the tree. The owner who to whom the benefit of the tree did not run just arrogantly had the tree cut down while the other owner was away..

This particular neighbor was a less than honorable man (wealthy, entitled, rude, threatening, ruthless and arrogant); the neighbors who lost the tree decided to move rather than deal with him.

To fast forward a couple of years, ATF showed up in force one morning (four black cars, fully geared) and arrested the man and charged him with arson, insurance fraud, money laundering, and wire fraud); he had burned down his city warehouses shortly before his insurance was about to expire. The fire damage caused property damage not only to his properties but to adjoining properties, also. It was the second largest fire in the history of the city. He was found guilty and sentenced to the mandatory prison time of 15 years.

The whole scenario still gives me chills.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's like that TV show "Fear Thy Neighbor"
Old 06-24-2021, 08:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

We did.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
That's funny....I have a neighbor across the street who hates the leaves from my Oak trees. So every morning he hoses them back over to the edge of my yard... lol...I've also seen him multiple times sitting on the driveway scrubbing little stains with a toothbrush ahhaa!!...
He sounds very fixated and perfectionistic.
I have some of the tendencies and def need to reign it in when I catch myself........
Old 06-24-2021, 08:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN!

Leigh, that's a crazy story. And Free, I'd be absolutely LIVID if a neighbor trimmed anything on my property. That's illegal! People can be so strange and awful to each other. Sigh. My neighbors planted some lilac bushes on their side of our fence line. As they get bigger every year, some branches do protrude through the (chain-link) fence over into my yard. My neighbors asked before they planted them and gave me standing permission to trim branches on my side anytime I want to, as long as I'm careful to not hurt the main trunk. I have trimmed in a very careful and minor way a couple of times, but for the most part, I don't mind at all. This is how neighbors should behave. When they saw me doing a bunch of improvements to the exterior and interior of my home, they asked me if I were planning to sell. I said no, and they expressed great relief. Good neighbors are to be cherished!

Plans for the weekend: Dinner at a vineyard with the man friend and his cousin and her husband tomorrow. First time I have done something so overtly "wine-y" in sobriety. I was debating on whether I really wanted to go or not. But it's a restaurant at a vineyard, not a winery tour. It's supposed to be very beautiful scenery and very good food. It'll be ok. I just have to have my toolbox all ready. A good thing is that everyone who will be there knows I don't drink, and no one will offer me any wine, no pressure. So it'll be just like any other dinner out, mostly. The only thing I don't like is that there are wine pairings on the menu next to every item. Oh, well. I don't drink, so I can just ignore that.

Then Saturday, Man Friend and I are going to his cabin to mow and do some other prep for the 4th of July Wingding he's having up there next weekend. I will not be there. It's a small cabin, too many people, lots of drinking. Not my cup of tea. He's most likely going to have to sleep in his car. I'll be home safe in my comfy bed, thank you very much
Old 06-24-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in for the weekenders! So nice to see all the posts. Peace to those of us who have had crazy neighbors. It can be a real nightmare.
So glad to be here with all of you wonderful people. Have a great day all!
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In for another sober weekend.

Thanks Mags!

Last week just flew by. Is that good or bad?

Neighbours like the tree saw 'ers and hedge destroyers must be dumb as horses. Birds are only messy because we have put concrete or cars between them and the ground. It's hardly a full time job to clean it off from time to time.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:28 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Count me in for the weekend as well
Old 06-24-2021, 09:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi Purps!
Old 06-24-2021, 09:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The arsonist’s son and family moved into the home after his father was imprisoned. They were quiet and good neighbors. They mostly kept to themselves.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

sao, how do you do that rainbow-y header? You've done it a few times.

If you have enough patience to do it on SR with the limited text editing the site offers, my hat is off to you...but I suspect you found some little app or site that does it for you?

**edit Oh! Well this time you did it by word instead of letter, so maybe you are doing it on SR. You and I both have too much time on our hands.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The only neighbour problem I have is my neighbours cheeky one year old cat, Hector, who seems to want to live with us, my two cats are rather gentle and do not hurt him. Hector regularly sits in the bath, plays with their toys , eats their food, sleeps in their chairs, and hides from me, all the while purring and looking at me with bright orange eyes as if butter wouldn't melt...I would love to stroke him but dare not as it would most definitely ruffle the fur and ears of my two little ones....
I am here the the weekend - look forward to it - sun and gardening and cats and children all mixed in with ice-cream somewhere along the way I hope - love, peace and best wishes to all.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sounds nice, Dusty. I wish I got to see my niece and nephews more often. Now that they are getting older, they're so busy and have their own lives.
I should probably see if I can take the twins to lunch before they go to school. I told them I wanted to visit them and buy some UCSB tee shirts when they get to Santa Barbara and they said, "Sure!". I at least want to see them in a track meet. I haven't seen that. They played American football all through Pop Warner and high school, and Rugby. They all blew their knees out at least twice, so the twins were smart enough to switch to track. They and their sister are terrific swimmers too. They were County champions. Swim team is really big in CA, esp in the county I live in. Forgive me if I go on about them occasionally, they are so wonderful and have have to go through so much with a seriously alcoholic mother. None of them take drugs or drink. I think being so busy with school and sports probably helped that. They always had something they had to do, be present and be sober for or they'd get creamed!
I'm proud of them and what sweet, kind, artistic, smart, wonderful kids who are turning into wonderful adults. I pray life will be easier for them. I love them so much.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We are moving in very soon, I hope I have nice normal neighbors at the new house 🙂
Old 06-24-2021, 11:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You sound like a fun Aunt Alysheba -its amazing how fast they grow up - childhood is so brief
Old 06-24-2021, 11:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Weekenders.

I think I know how Sao did it Bim.