Notices

Don’t Quit this Weekend - Weekenders 18 - 21 June 2021

Old 06-22-2021, 10:50 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

It is a Digitalis Valinii "Firebird", common name Foxglove.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aah. Where digitalis comes from I guess where would we be without plants.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:51 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Kaily, good to hear that your pain is easing up. Hopefuly it will continue to go. That is an interesting flower / plant.

Mags, enjoy your day at the seaside. Hopefully the sun will stay out. Here we've just got cloudy skies. When I first moved to London in the mid 1980s I lived in a hostel where we had to share laundry facilities. It was a nightmare on a weekend. You either had to be quick off the mark and get there early enough to grab a machine or keep returning to see if one was free.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:59 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I'm still washing by hand. It's been seven months now, and really I don't mind it.

Kgirl, I thought digitalis/foxglove was a poison of some sort? I'm glad your injection worked, that's great news.

Mags, enjoy the beach!

Sao, I haven't watched TV sports in 13 years. No cable, no network TV plus it just doesn't interest me. I'm surprised they let me stay in Seattle - huge sports town. How'd your games go yesterday? I did watch the America's Cup races this winter on the interwebz, because I can't miss AC races!

Thank you all for lifting me up in your thoughts. I really appreciate the shout-outs and posts. Really, truly. Love you guys.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Morning all!

I’m glad you’re having some pain relief Kaily. Long may it continue. I may have mentioned this before, but my childhood GP used to say (often as he was syringing the injectate from a vial) that injections are what the Bible had in mind when it says that it is far better to give than to receive.

Bim, good to hear that you enjoyed your early morning walk yesterday and to see you posting again. I see you are up early today as well.

At the end of my haircut last week my hairdresser (female) made a welcome remark that I look good (presumably for my age). Just a small reminder of the many benefits of being sober.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Kaily, glad that you are seeing some improvement from the injection - very good news.

Mags, hope you find some shells in good shape. My husband says that we have enough shells and that I should stop looking or at least stop bringing them home; he says they all look the same but I don’t agree.

My left foot is being stupid; I don’t know what I did; I think I have reached that age where body parts just decide to be stupid.

, all. Have a nice day.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:32 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Mags, love your post of the laundry and the ghosts. So funny. Thanks for sharing!!
Kaily, so glad your foot is feeling better. That is wonderful news!
I have a bunch of errands to run for my mother today. I swear, I don't mind helping her out, but I think she lays awake nights thinking of things for me to do. LOL! Just joking. I imagine it has to feel pretty inhibiting for her.
Have a wonderful day all.
Love and peace to all our weekenders.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:45 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Leigh, I hope your foot stops playing up, that is a nuisance.

Well done on getting compliments Captain.

I thought digitalis was a toxin too so I looked it up, foxgloves do contain it in low levels but foxglove poisoning is rare.

I was just teasing bim as I knew you were not keen on watching sport. England are not especially inspiring but -

Old 06-23-2021, 09:00 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Yes, Captain, how nice to get a compliment from your hairdresser!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I thought digitalis was a heart med
Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Darling have you taken your digitalis this morning?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:38 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

^^^^^. Hysterical, Boondock.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:50 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I was LOLing, too.
I think digitalis may be for epilepsy. My cousin has it, and I'm not totally sure, but I think he took digitalis for it, but I could be wrong, at least at one time. It is so interesting how many of our treatments in medicine do come from the plant world.

Boondock, you do have a great sense of humor! Glad to see you doing so well.

My nephews, the twins, chose to finish up their college at UC Santa Barbara. They are getting a partial scholarship for their track team stuff: discus, hammer, and shot put. Both of them were invited to Stanford's annual track invitational against some pretty tough Pac 12 competition. They were unassigned at the time and one of my nephews came in 2nd in the discus against some pretty tough competition. They have a 4.0 GPA, which is really the most important thing. They really have had to go through some tough times at home so I'm really proud of them keeping their eye on the ball. They are such wonderful, sweet, smart, bestest nephews. s I guess they visited UCSB and just loved it. No matter what, they were always a package deal and they're both really good, one is a little better. They really stick by each other, which I love. Lucky to have such a great niece and 3 great nephews. I'm just crazy grateful for them!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Digitalis ... is a genus of about 20 species of herbaceous perennial plants, shrubs, and biennials, commonly called foxgloves.

The term digitalis is also used for drug preparations that contain cardiac glycosides, particularly one called digoxin, extracted from various plants of this genus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digitalis

Old 06-23-2021, 01:56 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Caramel is right, digitalis is a type of toxin (a cardiac glycoside) in certain plants (including Foxgloves) , and it can cause poisoning (usually in animals that eat it), but it’s also the source of digoxin, which is used to improve cardiac function in certain heart conditions, as it makes the heart beat more forcefully. A lot of medications are derived from plants
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Aly, your nephews have done well, it’s great they support each other. glad you’re getting on with your mom, I wonder if her lists of ‘to do’ things are her way of dealing with her illness. Something she can manage.

I remember an episode of Columbo (uneasy lies the Crown) where a lady took digitalis for her heart.

Captain, lovely compliment from your hairdresser. Did your dad come home as planned yesterday. Hope all is ok.

Leigh, naughty foot being stupid. sometimes it’s as if parts of the body have a mind of their own.

Had a good day yesterday at the beach. It was good to walk barefoot and feel the sand on my feet.
Leigh, I agree, all shells are different, they’re like fingerprints. I didn’t get any though. Not a one. there was so many broken ones sadly.

For Bim and all Gorilla lovers ❤️

See you later xxxx New thread soon.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Did you see them at the beach, Mags? ^
Old 06-23-2021, 11:37 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sssh Kaily, they were on holiday
Old 06-23-2021, 11:41 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Magsie

New (ish) thread begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ne-2021-a.html (Weekenders - ‘Elephant in the room’ 25-28 June 2021)