Notices

Day 16

Old 06-16-2021, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16

Greetings all,

I'm 16 days w/o alcohol. It it surreal. It seems like it has been much longer than 16 days. I don't want to count the days, but I guess that's where I am at. I am feeling bit better today, maybe a tiny bit. I'm head-achy, lethargic, a bit irritable, but in some ways better than the last time I quit. No diarrhea and my hands are not too shaky this time. I am just so tired. I have some appointments to schedule today, blood work and an ultrasound on my abdomen, then I will schedule a long overdue follow up with my hepatologist. In the mean time, I need to be free of the booze. I sorta wanted some last night, but was so tired, that I just went to bed and listened to Alcohol Explained with my earbuds. I'm still feeling like I've been hit by a truck when I wake up. It's harder to get out of bed than when I wasn't drinking -strange...

I'm still hanging in there, thanks so much for all the support.
Max
Old 06-16-2021, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work Max!
Old 06-16-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job, Max. Keep up the good work.

My doctor told me that the reason people feel tired when they quit drinking is because the brain is so used to having the alcohol (you may have heard this on Alcohol Explained), that the neurons are basically bouncing around all over the place looking for their fix. Just picture a bunch of little people jumping all around in your brain and your body, boucing off of each other (his way of picturing it). All that stuff going on internally alone makes you tired. It does go away, give it a bit more time. I am feeling great and am on Day 16 but I do need a little 20-30 minute nap every afternoon.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done Max—being extra tired is pretty normal—we used alcohol to “push through” so much tough daily stuff that not having it shows us just how hard we have been on body, mind, and soul.

I went to bed early with herbal tea and a book many times when I first quit. Try taking a long hot shower and climbing into bed two hours early on clean fresh sheets. You may find you drop off to sleep before you head hits the pillow. . .
Old 06-16-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job Max, hang in there..
Old 06-16-2021, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Max. Like you, I’m on Day 17. Sometimes I impress myself that 16 days have gone by and at other times, it seems the time is going so slowly and it should be more. I’m glad you’re making those appointments. Your docs and hepatologist will be pleased with your sobriety.

What do you think of, the book “Alcohol Explained”? Doesn’t it make sense out of all the symptoms of alcohol use and withdrawal? It does for me.

Things will start to come together, Max. Just hang in there. It’s not easy for anyone, but everyone who has managed getting through these weeks say the hell has been worth it. You’ll be saying that too. You’re already 16 days closer. 🤗.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great work Max.

The best is yet yet to come. Hang in.

Congratulations on 16 days.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job, Max. I'm sure you know this, but the further away you get from that last drink, the better you will feel. Pretty soon you'll experience that "sober sleep" that is so awesome. You can do this. ❤
Old 06-16-2021, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxVano View Post
Greetings all,

I'm 16 days w/o alcohol. It it surreal. It seems like it has been much longer than 16 days. I don't want to count the days, but I guess that's where I am at.
Stay the course Max. You are doing well. When I quit drinking, as I think I mentioned in a comment on a different thread of yours, the first couple of weeks seemed like they took forever but soon the days started to rack up much more quickly. I think counting days is a personal thing that works for some people but not others. I have a buddy who is 3 years sober and he always advises anyone against counting days. He feels very strongly about it. Apparently, for him, it became like this ball and chain thing where it forced him to think about it all too much. I had to tell him that I like counting days. At least for right now. For me it's a measure of my commitment and gives me a sense of accomplishment. As more time goes on I imagine that will change. I'm sure at some point I will switch to counting in months, and then years, as time goes on.

But, until then, today is day 46 for me.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Max - it's a tremendous inspiration to hear how string you are being. I started off counting days but now I am not thinking about it so often - but I expect i will check in with my calendar each weekend - just to feel good at the amount of sober time I have now had. Tomorrow Max you will have so much more to feel good about, and the next day, and the next!
Bobbieka - I love your slogan - 'She believed she could so she did' It's a great piece of advice.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sixteen days sober is great. Stay sober and it will get better. I promise. Might come slowly but better times will come.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

MAX!! You are doing wonderfully. Trust the process.
I was tired the first few weeks as well. You are in reset mode. Keep up the amazing work. You are doing this!
Old 06-16-2021, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep going Max - it gets better

D
Old 06-16-2021, 04:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone!
I scheduled an appointment with my hepatologist. He can't see me until July 22nd. That's a ways off, but that will give me more time to stay away from the alcohol. I go in for the ultrasound the week before my appointment so hopefully things will be more settled by then. If I can make it till the time I see my Doc, that will be the second longest that I have gone without in years.

Thanks again,
Max
Old 06-16-2021, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by MaxVano View Post
Thanks to everyone!
I scheduled an appointment with my hepatologist. He can't see me until July 22nd. That's a ways off, but that will give me more time to stay away from the alcohol. I go in for the ultrasound the week before my appointment so hopefully things will be more settled by then. If I can make it till the time I see my Doc, that will be the second longest that I have gone without in years.

Thanks again,
Max
Should read, “WHEN I make it til the time I see my Doc, …….” 🤗. You’re doing great.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah Max what's up with this "if " stuff? lol...
Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's when, not if. 🙂
Old 06-17-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Yeah Max what's up with this "if " stuff? lol...
Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
It's when, not if. 🙂
I'm trying, I wish that I had that much confidence at the moment. I am trying.

Thanks,
Max
Old 06-17-2021, 12:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Why not, Max? You’ve actually got over the hardest stage - the first two weeks. I’ll be honest and say my first 15 days were amongst the worst days of my life. You’ll soon realise it gets easier. You’re doing ok.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oops