Notices

Day one accountability thread

Old 06-11-2021, 05:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

HW, when I quit drinking I started telling perspective friends and dates that I don't drink, but I don't go into the whole alcoholism thing. That's really personal and a lot of people who know me will never know my back-story. If I don't drink now I'm a non-drinker and it really isn't important that they know any more than that. I have quite a few one-liners I throw out depending on the situation. None of those one liners are designed to invite more conversation and so far only one lady pressed me about it, and she is a heavy drinker herself. I just ignored her and changed the subject. She was being invasive in my opinion.

Is there some place on your online dating app profile where you can say that you are (drug and?) alcohol free? That's what I would do if I was using an app. Heck, I'd specify that I would only date other non-drinkers, or only light drinkers - whatever your preference.

I think this guy was a huge red flag bringing champagne on a walk date without clearing it with you first. That's pretty presumptuous. I'd say you probably dodged a big bullet there - i.e. who brings alcohol on a walk date?? Maybe someone with his own alcohol back-story...
Old 06-11-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree Bimini, In the past and now if in that situation I just say I'm not much of a drinker I don't go into the whole alcoholic thing.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for being so open and honest! I was widowed at a young age and my drinking got out of control shortly after. I also tried dating and it set me up for major anxiety, including a toxic relationship that almost did me in years ago. After a zillion starts and stops over the years, am on day one today, and your post inspired me to post for accountability also!! Thank you!
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good for you Amy1..