Notices

Day 16

Old 06-08-2021, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 16

Hello, I'm new to the idea of sobriety but my relationship with alcohol has been unmanageable. If I drink again I will lose my house, partner and daughter. No pressure or anything. Looking for a few people to connect with regularly to learn and grow from and with.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Then it's time! Recognizing that you've reached the end of the road with drinking, that's the first step.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Poppymay View Post
Hello, I'm new to the idea of sobriety but my relationship with alcohol has been unmanageable. If I drink again I will lose my house, partner and daughter. No pressure or anything. Looking for a few people to connect with regularly to learn and grow from and with.
Hi Poppymay and welcome I'm right there with you on day 17. Recognising you have a problem and coming here is massive. This site is a huge resource with vast amounts of useful information and tools to help you on your wonderful new journey. We are all here for you.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just noticed you joined in 2014 Poppymay was wondering did you think you had a problem back then?
Old 06-08-2021, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new to the idea of sobriety but my relationship with alcohol has been unmanageable.
That's why we are all here. I do not have a manageable relationship with alcohol, but I found a work-around; I no longer have a relationship with alcohol at all.

If I drink again I will lose my house, partner and daughter.
The possibility of this is there, but I see recovery more as the way to a meaningful life. Some alcoholics do lose their homes and partners, but I just couldn't take feeling like a pathetic loser any more.

At 16 days you have a good start and we can help you find your stride. There's still a few things you will need to learn. Well, there was for me, and I think for most of us.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, your wife has given you some kind of ultimatum? Or you just came to this conclusion on your own?

I think if someone had even mentioned my drinking to me I would have been mortified, but I never had anyone say anything to me. Probably because I surrounded myself with other hard drinkers and they all were accepting of my drinking. It certainly doesn't go well with people who don't have a drinking problem. I'm assuming your wife is a normie? She doesn't over-drink?

Regardless, I'm glad I don't drink any more. No chance of doing something tragic or causing pain to others. Even more importantly I'm no longer doing the slow suicide of body, mind, and soul by intaking a toxic substance on a daily basis.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Poppymay, I am only day 25 so new here too - like you I woke up to the fact I had to stop drinking and kidding myself - I have done both with the help and support of fellow travellers here
- it is possible to stop - believe that - it is possible to get your life back! Keep posting, you will get lots of support and encouragement.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome poppymay....well it sounds like you have surrendered and admitted your powerless over alcohol so quit and let the journey of self discovery begin!!!.....good luck to you.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Then don't drink again PoppyMay. That sounds like much to lose. It is great you are here on SR as we have all stood in your shoes. Do you have other means of support in real life? I think everything helps. 16 days is so awesome too. What a great start!!! Lots of healing has already taken place.

Keep posting in this thread and let us know how you are getting along.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Poppymay and congratulations on 16 days. That's a really good chunk of sober time you have there already!

I learned a lot on here simply by reading through previous threads. There is so much to learn...so many strategies you can use.

After 17 months sober, I can honestly say achieving sobriety is the best thing I have ever done for myself and for my family.

Stay close!
Old 06-08-2021, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back poppymay

You know how good this community is. Use it, let us help.

No matter how old, how bad a drinker, or how long addicted, anyone can change if they commit to making that change

D
Old 06-08-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by someday147 View Post
I just noticed you joined in 2014 Poppymay was wondering did you think you had a problem back then?
Yeah, I tried to stop back in 2014 but the pain I was experiencing was too great at that point in my life to stay on track. I decided drinking was better than the suicidal thoughts I was feeling when I stopped. I'm back 7 years later, my mental health is much better and I have a daughter to inspire me to be better. Yes my partner has also given me one last chance to stop before I harm myself again by drinking too much and passing out.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am being supported by my GP, I went through withdrawal with medication and I'm starting naltrexone today to help me stay on track. I've been drinking since I was 13. I don't know how to deal with stress, anxiety and sadness without alcohol because I never learned how to. I feel like a child having to learn basic lessons about decision making and doing the right thing for me. Thanks for your support everyone.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us never learn to deal with a lot of stuff most people take for granted. It’s a bit like a baby trying to learn to walk - only we’re not babies and we can learn a lot more and a lot shorter time.

It’s a steep learning curve but the more things we do and feel sober the easier it gets poppymay

D
Old 06-08-2021, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Poppymay! Congrats on your 16 days of sobriety. We know how hard it is to get free, but you're doing it. Be proud.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Poppymay.

I'm glad your mental health has improved, and that you are working with your doctor. Great leaps forward. And now you have (coming here) for further support. You have lots to gain.

I hope you keep posting Poppymay. People here really do understand.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey poppy! Welcome back . I too had a hard time dealing with stress, anxiety and sadness when I first stopped. I’m still in early sobriety (almost 6 months) but I can tell you it does get easier to deal with these emotions and without the alcohol the amount of stressors/ anxiety and sadness I experience has greatly decreased. Stick with us.