Notices

156 days and still hanging in there.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

156 days and still hanging in there.

Hello everyone. It’s been almost two months since my last post. I did a week business trip to Key West in early April and it was a breeze... never even thought about Duval St. and the Duval Crawl. Did another trip in late May and boy, what a difference. An old shipmate on one of the cutters asked if I was gonna head to the bars like we used to do and I just couldn’t get that out of my mind. I was so close to pulling in and getting some beer or booze and later, back at the hotel I found myself day dreaming about heading down to the pool bar.

I made it back to LA intact, but am dismayed how close I came. I should have spent a few extra evenings posting here, huh?

Welk that contract is about done and I’m moving on to a different build, so there won’t be anymore trips to KW. Be careful out there and don’t let your train of thought stray down the wrong path too long!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"Be careful out there and don’t let your train of thought stray down the wrong path too long!"

Absolutely!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you didn't give in to the thoughts.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed true to yourself BM - its always good to stay vigilant.

Congrats on your sober time D
Old 06-06-2021, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its great to hear you have done so well. It couldn't of been easy. Think of all the hard work you put into your sobriety. I've heard many people that have had long term sobriety still occasionally get urges to drink, especially if they are in a drinking environment like KW. I've been on many trips where most people were drinking so I decided to join in, thinking I will stop when I get home. It just doesn't work. I remember a trip like this. The first thing I did when I got home was to stop at a liquor store. I was a mess for the next several weeks. That fun vacation turned into a nightmare. I commend you for staying strong. Give yourself a lot of credit for doing that. I wish I had your strength. John
Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Helpful post, BayouMan. Good to know you didn't succumb to the temptations.
This was a problem for me about the first 6 mos. or so. After that, I no longer felt sorry for myself that I couldn't drink - no longer resented others for being able to. The joy of being free of it took over & I honestly haven't had a strong urge to sabotage myself since those early days.
Good work!
Old 06-06-2021, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow Bayou! Congrats! I’m at 157 days today! Glad to hear you hung in there! Let’s keep it going!

Old 06-06-2021, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats Bayou.

I'm glad you didn't concede. Succeed instead.

157 days is legendary.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Before I retired I often traveled to different locations for business reasons.

In order to stay sober sober and not let my guard down I would meet up with friends in every town I went to.

I didn't know these friends before I got to town. But I would look up the local AA meeting schedule online and go to a 7:00 p.m. meeting and tell the folks I was just a visitor in town for a short time. Everyone was always super gracious and welcoming and I often got invited out for coffee or something afterwards. This was so much better than spending a lonely night in a hotel room drinking by myself. That's one of the huge advantages of AA. There is a fellowship of people trying to stay sober, and who are willing to help you, in virtually every town.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Really great job Bayou Man. Close call, though. Why don't you post up a little more frequently here. It really helps.

Keep up the great work!