Notices

Will I recover

Old 06-04-2021, 03:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I recover

It's three weeks tomorrow since decided to quit alcohol ,using AVRT has been very very helpful for me. But I am suffering physical pains, insomnia, headaches and worst of all burning pain in my feet, heels, arches, it keeps me awake. It is a pain I have felt before when I have stopped drinking and has in the past driven me back to alcohol - well not driven me back - it was the way in which the AV got into my head and I was persuaded to drink to stop the pain. My legs feel odd, full of restless pain.
I know people have said it can take a long time for the physical symptoms of withdrawal to leave. I do worry I have done some permanent damage, perhaps I have and I just have to live with it. I think I feel the lowest today since the day I quit, I feel in pain, I want to sleep but can't as have family to care for, I feel like bursting into tears for no reason, I feel distant from my family and lacking in energy. I am moaning I know, but I have no one else who would understand. Sorry for the whining....
Old 06-04-2021, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suppose eventually you'll want to go to your doctor for a workup. No one here can really advise you in that regard but I will say your mind and body go through a lot of changes as you get some sober time.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry you are suffering

Not sure about the pain but Definitely suggest seeing a Dr.

Whatever you do don't drink over it
It gets better
Old 06-04-2021, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi dusty fox,
I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I'm definitely in agreement with the member above. A visit to the doctor is a wise idea. I applaud your decision to stop drinking. Keep on fighting. I hope you start feeling better soon. You are deserving of a happy and healthy life. Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you’re anything like me you drank for years, decades even - it can take a little while for mind and body to repair, but they generally do. There’s no formula to it but I can share It took me about 3 months to feel ok mentally and physically after 20 years drinking.

If the pain is outside normal limits tho, please do see a doctor DF.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel that pain, dusty. I just felt despair in those first few weeks. I wasn't happy as a drinker, but I questioned the point of quitting if I felt that bad. Luckily, I'd started other activities which took my mind off those negative feelings, and after a few more weeks, I started feeling better. You'll only get better without alcohol I promise, so keep at it.

What did it for me 29 months ago was the realisation I had to quit for good. Science tells us that a heavy drinker can't be a moderate one. It was a lot to get my head around, but it became easier after that.

As for permanent damage, make an appointment with your GP who'll arrange a blood test to ensure your liver is working OK. If you've no symptoms, the chances are you're OK. You'll make your GP's day by fessing up that you've stopped drinking. Mine even helped me with offers of counselling and medication.

I had a fatty liver, but this cleared up totally within a few months after I quit drinking.

What I will warn against is getting the all clear from your GP and then drinking again. As I said above, the brain's been altered irreversibly. Take the good news from your GP and enjoy a way better and sober life.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, man. I had so many aches and pains and crying jags and crippling panic attacks and and and and...

Internet fist-bump for you, dusty. Hang on, kiddo. Like they say (annoyingly) in AA, "This too shall pass."

Remember this and how awful it is. I still have those scary memories to remind me of what will happen should I ever decide a drink is a good idea.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, you will recover. If you can set an appointment with you doctor about the neuropathy you are experiencing that may lead you in a direction of getting relief.

My own recovery in the first few months was very very hard but I did reach level ground. You will get there too. Keep going. Keep pushing forward and find solutions to the problems you are facing without resorting to alcohol. You can do this. Once you are on the other side it will be glorious. I believe in you.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Drinking quelled the insanity that it seemed to have caused. When I quit I was like an exposed nerve mentally. Physically, things got better noticeably daily and that is what helped me stay quit.

Since quitting for a good while now, I am still a little messed up, but nothing like before.

I was slowly degenerating physically, mainly because being drunk all the time leads to sitting around all the time.

My stamina was terrible.

Your aches and pain could be your body healing from the abuse.

When you see a Dr., I'd make sure to get the minimal pain meds I could.

Careful there. Relapsing while taking meds is another level of hell on earth (so I have heard).

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes at least 3 Decades of drinking - binge drinking with spirits and other stuff for along time when I was young enough to somehow shrug it off - then heavy drinking with wine/ beer for even longer - I once stopped for a year and I do remember pain - but not as bad as this. I really don't want to see the Dr as I don't want to tell him because well, I am too ashamed. I cant tell anyone for the same reason I feel too stupid and ashamed and part of me just thinks I deserve the pain for being so stupid!
I don't find the phrase 'This too shall pass' annoying - it's true, and calming.
Pain meds? Feel anxious about asking for those even if I go and admit to pain but not anything else - I will think about that as I need to weigh up my current ability to function which is ok ish but I don't want it to get much worse -
Old 06-04-2021, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Yes at least 3 Decades of drinking - binge drinking with spirits and other stuff for along time when I was young enough to somehow shrug it off - then heavy drinking with wine/ beer for even longer - I once stopped for a year and I do remember pain - but not as bad as this. I really don't want to see the Dr as I don't want to tell him because well, I am too ashamed. I cant tell anyone for the same reason I feel too stupid and ashamed and part of me just thinks I deserve the pain for being so stupid!
I don't find the phrase 'This too shall pass' annoying - it's true, and calming.
Pain meds? Feel anxious about asking for those even if I go and admit to pain but not anything else - I will think about that as I need to weigh up my current ability to function which is ok ish but I don't want it to get much worse -
I understand the shame aspect. There is nothing to be ashamed of though. You are not the first person recovering from active addiction and you will not be the last. Its terrible to live in pain due to not wanting to talk about what is ailing you. Addiction has so many elements to it. You have the resources to get help and I would not let fear, shame or any other negative self talk get in the way. If you drank, in part, to relieve the pain you are experiencing then it makes sense to ask for help for that pain so can recover from active alcoholism. Otherwise you are not addressing a problem that you are having. Don't keep yourself on a hamster wheel.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry your feeling bad, as for seeing a doctor there's no shame there, I think you'll find a doctor to be more receptive and caring about your addiction problems than you think. The only thing that would be shameful would be if you just kept drinking knowing how much your damaging your body with no effort to stop the pattern.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd definitely rely on the doctor to tell you what is causing these symptoms because, as far as i am aware, there is no chance you are still in detox after 3 weeks without alcohol?! Give them a call, listen to them.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can remember the pain, anxiety and exhaustion of the first few months so well as I’m only coming up on six months! I can tell you it does get better the longer you are sober! I had aches and pains and just felt horrible when I quit. Not to mention the night sweats and bloating. I did find just taking some Tylenol and Advil helped with my aches and pain but I DID consult my doctor who has been amazingly helpful. Keep it up and things will only get better! I sleep so well now, have been more active, pain is gone and look like a bee person and that’s only after 5 months!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We addicts can be pretty self-centered dustyfox, but here is one thing I know - your doctor won't give a tinker's damn about what brings you to the clinic. They've seen it all and heard it all and are there to help what ails you. Please go in because the medical profession can give you some relief which sounds like it might be a key piece of the puzzle of you staying sober.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know it might seem embarrassing coming clean to a doctor.

But let me share a personal anecdote. Once when I was on drugs I injured my penis from masturbating too much and had to go to my GP. Trust me, they've seen it all.

And if it weren't for my doctor I wouldn't be sober now. He prescribed Antabuse which is the number one tool in my sobriety toolbox. Not to mention all the times I was prescribed librium to ease withdrawal symptoms.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Three weeks to recover is unrealistic. You are just beginning. You have a good start with your AV program, but no matter how good you are at recovery, it takes time. Three weeks falls in the "happens overnight" category. Don't expect too much too soon. Actually, you're not doing bad. These physical symptoms are real and very possibly related to alcohol or alcohol withdrawal. But alcohol does not cure these things. Tell that to your AV, the next time she shows up. As others have said, see your doctor.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
I really don't want to see the Dr as I don't want to tell him because well, I am too ashamed. I cant tell anyone for the same reason I feel too stupid and ashamed and part of me just thinks I deserve the pain for being so stupid!-
That is classic AV: "I'm too stupid to deserve recovery. Don't take it up with a medical expert. Listen to me. As your AV, I understand you better than your doctor."
Old 06-04-2021, 08:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No need to be ashamed to talk to a Dr.
They are there to help and really do want to make your life better.

I finally came clean with my consumption a couple years ago.
He looked at my answer to how many drinks daily and said, "Do you mean per week?"
No doc, daily.
Maybe try to cut back to a couple a day?
Sure. Yeah right

He never judged me or looked at me differently after that.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lots of aches and pains and mood swings when I stopped drinking, too. But, if you feel those things will lead you back to drinking, it's really important to talk to your doctor.