Notices

Will I recover

Old 06-07-2021, 09:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi mate.
Sorry I missed this thread.

Firstly definitely see a Dr like everyone else said.

What I will say is the burning pain in arms and legs became intolerable for me - by far my worst wirhdrawal or alcohol related symptom as was horrific. Especially when lying down.

When in Emergency i was diagnosed with massive Thiamine deficiency and was put on a large drip for it, and also a huge amount of B tablets multiple times a day.

Fingers crossed for you but for me it fixed the issue in about 3 days. I still take multiple doses per day on Dr instructions (way above what the label says) and so far so good.

Again, discuss with your Dr first but hopefully this gives you some positive thoughts of relief as the burning pain literally drove me to despair.

Good luck.

Chris

Old 06-07-2021, 10:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I know it might seem embarrassing coming clean to a doctor.

But let me share a personal anecdote. Once when I was on drugs I injured my penis from masturbating too much and had to go to my GP. Trust me, they've seen it all.
Not laughing at you at all as that took courage and I hope the injury has healed, but has made my day.

I'll never be embarrassed to see my Dr ever again now knowing this! ha
Old 06-10-2021, 12:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I think multivitamins much underrated.

I'm back on them and feel better than I did on the anti-depressant (Just my experience of ckurse)
Old 06-10-2021, 02:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks Chris, the burning/prickling feeling in my feet is the one symptom that I find the most difficult -I did wonder about B vitamins - I haven't been to the GP yet - I suppose I am still putting it off.
It's great to hear multivitamins are helping you -diet and the right nutrition are so important.
Freedomfries post did make me smile too, so brave to go to the GP and equally to post it - made my mild embarrassment pale into insignificance!
Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

When I stopped drinking 4 years ago I went on a health crusade - part of which was becoming vegetarian. All my health markers became excellent except the pins and needles continued and I started having very annoying facial twitches. I had a lot of tests and it came back to lack of B12. I added back some lean meat and fish and take a supplement intermittently. The facial twitches have cleared up but I still have a low level of foot tingling. A foot spa and daily use of support socks have been very helpful. Just my experience of course.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:11 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Bonnefond - This pins and needles symptom is very exhausting - it's interesting about B12 - I am already a vegetarian and have been all my life, Lack of B12 has always a concern - I wonder if the combination of being a vegetarian and heavy drinking have left me depleted - Support socks is a good idea - anything to ease the discomfort! Well done on 4 years btw that's fantastic - 4 weeks this weekend for me at the moment
Old 06-10-2021, 06:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I take a B vitamin complex everyday because alcohol abuse depletes B vitamins in your body.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:55 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Thanks Chris, the burning/prickling feeling in my feet is the one symptom that I find the most difficult -I did wonder about B vitamins - I haven't been to the GP yet - I suppose I am still putting it off.
It's great to hear multivitamins are helping you -diet and the right nutrition are so important.
Freedomfries post did make me smile too, so brave to go to the GP and equally to post it - made my mild embarrassment pale into insignificance!
My pleasure.

AGAIN your Dr better placed than me.

Mine definitely fixed from extruciang pain to nothing.

B vitamins (I'm on 10 multi vitamins a day and 10 B only)

Your Dr may see it differently.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:56 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
My pleasure.

AGAIN your Dr better placed than me.

Mine definitely fixed from extruciang pain to nothing.

B vitamins (I'm on 10 multi vitamins a day and 10 B only)

Your Dr may see it differently.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

DustyFox I suggest a full blood test.

Not being nasty as I expected mine to be horrible - I almost drank Tasmania to stay afloat.

It MASSIVELY worked for me mate. Drip even better if it's thats bad.

I personally have zero pain yet it
Old 06-10-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Chris2;7648098]DustyFox I suggest a full blood test.

Not being nasty as I expected mine to be horrible - I almost drank Tasmania to stay afloat and bloods ok but B shockingly bad.

It MASSIVELY worked for me mate. Drip even better if it's thats bad.aw

I personally have zero pain yet it it used to be? All fine now
Old 06-10-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yes Dusty - although I was eating what I thought to be a very healthy veg diet my body was struggling for B12 after years of excess alcohol. The socks have cleared up some other little foot issues like cracked heels and I can't praise a cider vinegar and bicarb footbath enough. You are doing great - I know you have a lot on your plate - a little self care feels good.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I take a B vitamin complex everyday because alcohol abuse depletes B vitamins in your body.
Good thing to do. I take a sublingual B complex, vitamin D, E, K, A, milk thistle, etc., because several Docs that I have worked with have told me that "Alcohol destroys the blood." It is literally a solvent, you could clean paint brushes with hard booze, or even run an engine if it's pure enough. I believe that all the supplements that I have been taking (the whole time I have been drinking) have saved me from having cirrhosis any worse than I do. I'm having all kinds of pain too, mostly in my lower legs and feet, as well as lower leg edema (distal edema) and it sucks. My left foot is about half again the size of my right and it's painful to shove that foot in a shoe. I know where all this is coming from, and why, but that doesn't make it any easier to stay off the booze.

Somebody asked me the other day (some I once worked with, who doesn't know of my battle w/the booze) "How are you doing?" I said, "hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit." One of the reasons I sought out a forum like this, is that I believe that there are way too many people who HAVE beaten the bottle, and I want to talk to those people. Hang in there!

Max
Old 06-10-2021, 03:10 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Boondock - Until today I didn't really think that lack of B vitamin's, depleted through years of alcohol, might be one of the causes of my ongoing pain and discomfort, it would certainly be fantastic if that was so. I would be over the moon if I had Zero pain, Chris!

I did have a full blood test about two years ago, for some other issue I had, persistent stomach cramps, ( probably anxiety induced) I did not tell the Dr I was a drinker, and he did the full blood test - everything came back ok - but now I wonder if it was a 'full' test. - I am plucking up courage to make an appointment next week.
Max - I am going to get on Amazon and order some vitamins and milk thistle !
I am only 4 weeks on Saturday into sobriety and it is not easy, due largely to the pain etc - but mentally I am feeling better and 100% committed to my new path. Hang on in there - I believe a new , clean life is possible.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yeah vitamin deficiency can cause problems for sure, I don't know that a blood test from a GP is looking for that or not I always thought you had to go to a nutritionist for those kind of tests..
Old 06-10-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doctors can run tests to check for vitamin deficiencies. Nuthritionists/dietitians can;t order blood tests, at least not where I live.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Rar

This might be a stretch, but are any of you on cholesterol meds? I was put on them a couple of months ago for high cholesterol. After a couple of weeks, my feet and ankles hurt when I walked. I also have foot cramps and pins and needles. Even the bottoms of my feet hurt. My leg muscles are stiff. I’m trying the meds every other day, but it seems I’ll have to be switched to another medication.

Just a weird thought and something to consider. Hope the leg stuff clears up for you. It is disturbing.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:03 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I am not on cholesterol meds but others may be. This foot pain, and it is the bottom of my feet and heels, plus leg pain appears to felt quite widely by people here. On another thread it was suggested a high intake of coffee really does not help - and so I am also addressing that - which is depressing as I love coffee, but anything to get rid of the pain. The pain is keeping me focused though.....................
Old 06-11-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Google: B vitamin deficiency and foot pain.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank you Boondock I am taking your advice and have taken my first supplement this morning - I guess it may take a while to work