Notices

Ex-footballers/soccer players UK

Old 06-06-2021, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think that even in high school sports, buddies get together and smoke weed, meth, drink, or whatever after practice.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah , the players now are athletes.
back in the days of the 60s a lot of players drank and their diets weren’t too scientific, now football has gone all futuristic with data on performance, players can’t get away with much.
I think, it has meant football has became a little robotic , that’s there’s no Mavericks because everything is all in systems and that. It has became very tactical .
maybe went off point , but there’s not many players who can play top end and have a good drink.Steven caulker had a spell at Dundee after his rehab, I think he had problems with alcohol or drugs. And also Clarke Carlisle I’m sure has problems with alcohol and/or mental health. No one is immune for sure. But they’re be no Gaza’s at this years euros, on the barbers chair getting drink poured down his gut. Lol
Old 06-08-2021, 07:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A female teaching colleague of mine is only 23 and was quite a high level footballer but unfortunately had a cruciate ligament injury and had to give it up. I asked if it could be repaired. She said "I read about some old footballer who had it repaired...."

I realised the "some old footballer" was Gaza! He'd retired from playing before my colleague had even been born!

Anyway, he's another example of why there's nothing glamorous about drinking. I can't think of many who've wasted their lives to that extent. Big shame.
Old 06-08-2021, 04:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just googled Gazza and he’s now drinking again, just beer and wine he says, and is in control of his alcoholism “I’ll always be an alcoholic”

None of my business what he does, but every tragic alcoholic has tried that trick, that this time will be different, I did. I would say good luck to him, but I can’t think why an alcoholic would want to fight the battle. Sobriety is no picnic at times, but it’s far far easier and less exhausting than battling to somehow control it for the rest of your life (or more likely until the next bottom)