SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back in Sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/453946-back-sobriety.html)

tdshawn647 05-26-2021 03:48 PM

Back in Sobriety

Hello,
I'm currently 7 days clean and sober following a demoralizing relapse. I'm on a short term leave from work and ready to make a full force effort to regain my life and long-term sobriety.
I have been in/around AA since 2000. (21 years.) At one time I was clean/sober for 12 years. During this time period the promises of AA came true. Life became good. I was able to attend college and obtain a bachelors degree. I was able to secure a career as a Health care professional. Family life was good and I was quite involved in AA and working the program. As my career grew so did my ego. I left AA as I thought I could do it on my own. Long story short, I've had several relapses. Each more embarrassing than the last. I still have my career and my family, but if I continue on this path, this will not continue. For me, when I put any mind altering substance into my body I lose control. I go against everything I believe in. I compromise all my morals. Not one of my relapses has had pleasant results. I gain nothing. Yet after time passes, my mind convinces me this time I will be able to control it, this time it will be ok. The truth is each time it gets worse. I'm here to do everything I can to break this pattern.

Anna 05-26-2021 04:24 PM

7 days is a great start and I'm glad you're back and working on your recovery.

advbike 05-26-2021 04:30 PM

Welcome TD. Glad to have you hear. Great start with 7 days, it's pretty much a mind game at this point.

I suggest you stay close here - reading and posting. Those that do seem to make it. It gets harder as we get older, and it's important to let go of that ego, but you will also hava a lot of fun here and get plenty of support. I owe my sobriety to SR.

There is a class of others who started (or re-started) this month - link here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-two.html

Hevyn 05-26-2021 06:12 PM

tdshawn - I'm so glad you found us & decided to join. 7 days is wonderful.
I was in a similar place when I came to SR. I had 3 yrs. sober & decided I could have 'a few' now and then. It didn't take long for me to become trapped in the same old pattern. I graduated to drinking all day/every day this last time. Never again. We know better than to ever risk our precious sobriety. Welcome!

Dee74 05-26-2021 06:13 PM

Welcome to SR tdshawn :)
'grats on the week

D

stickyone 05-26-2021 07:47 PM

Congratulations on your days of recovery. Ego that's my obstacle I'm working with daily. :banana:

freedomfries 05-26-2021 09:29 PM

Congrats on seven days.

Delilah1 05-26-2021 10:00 PM

Welcome to SR!

brighterday1234 05-26-2021 11:24 PM

Thanks for sharing 🙏

Mizz 05-27-2021 04:56 AM

Welcome!! You can get back on track and you can have a life that you are proud to live.
Stay close and post often. Believe in yourself.

biminiblue 05-27-2021 05:39 AM

Welcome home, tdshawn.

After that many years in AA, I'm sure you've seen a lot.

We are glad you're back.

This week's Weekender thread topic seems tailor made for you to share your story. Join us! It's an ongoing thread of slice of life-type posts. We'd love to have you.

Is it okay to have a drink now?...After all this time sober!...Weekenders 28 - 31 May 2021

Zebra1275 05-27-2021 07:09 AM

Welcome back!

novips 05-27-2021 07:29 AM

My first A.A. meeting was around 1987 but my sobriety year is 2002. I spent the vast majority of the time in between '87 and '02 trying to stay sober on the parts of the program that weren't too difficult. For example, I refused to sponsor anyone till '02. Unsurprisingly -- at least for an alcoholic of my type -- I kept relapsing.

Today, I am convinced that an alcoholic of my type either completely submits to the A.A. program of recovery or drinks. As it says in the Big Book: "Half measures availed us nothing."

dickensen 05-27-2021 01:50 PM

Welcome back TD. Your story is familiar to many of us. Alcohol is a powerful addictive chemical. The only way for many of us is to stay quit.

Elke516 05-27-2021 02:25 PM

Congrats on 7 days TD, it's good to have you here.